Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you ride in the drops on a century? Century Angst Ramble

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you ride in the drops on a century? Century Angst Ramble

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-11, 11:45 PM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Bikes: Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zandoval
Back in the day when I could do a century it was 1/3 of the time in the flats, never in the climbs, and all the time going down hill...
I'm 41 and have had back surgery. The above holds true for me. Get flexible and get training.
Old 07-18-11, 03:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by mudman22
On top of the 9 miles I did this morning, this is the longest cycling day I've had at 60 miles total.

Man--is 111 miles going to take me 9 hours as I slow down towards the end of the ride???
Yep, it certainly could. Our centuries these days take us 8-10 hours. This is why focussing on using the drops become irrelevant. The drops simply become one of several options you have as a hand location. Ride in the drops for a bit to stretch out your back and put your hands in a different position. Ride on the hoods, ride on the tops of the bars, ride on the corners ...

Good job on the 60 miles ... now spend the week doing shorter, faster rides, and next weekend, go ride 75 miles and see how you feel.

Last edited by Machka; 07-18-11 at 03:35 AM.
Old 07-18-11, 07:25 AM
Agave

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need better core strength to be comfortable on the drops.
Old 07-18-11, 08:30 AM
TassR700

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I really doubt a flat century will take you 9 hours as long as you are comfortable riding in a paceline. You did twice the climbing on your 50 mile ride you are going to do in the 111 of the ULCER. I would bet you will be done in less than 7.5 hours. Keep getting saddle time and you will be fine.
Old 07-18-11, 08:57 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
OK, maybe I missed someone else saying this, but...

You're not supposed to spend 90% of your time in the drops.

If you are spending that much time in the drops, then your bars are way too high. You should only use them when going into the wind, descending, or to occasionally change up your position.

By the way, when you do that century, you'll notice that the overwhelming majority spend time in the hoods.

Get a real bike fit, get your bars and saddle in the optimum spot.
Old 07-18-11, 08:58 AM
sevrdhed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear you got out and did a bit longer ride. I was going to say - I've done BCC myself pretty easily, but got my ass handed to me on a 60 mile ride. I dont think being able to do BCC necessarily translates into being able to ride a century, just into being able to suffer up hills.

However, my 60 mile bonk might have had something to do with the complete lack of calories I took in on the ride. Fail.

That being said, being able to do BCC would definitely translate into a much better shot at completing this:

https://myreasontoride.org/blog/events/

You should sign up!
Old 07-18-11, 09:27 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28807 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,339 Posts
How much time do you spend riding in the drops when doing a century?
If you're just starting out, why do you care how other people ride? Do what feels comfortable on your first century.
Old 07-18-11, 09:42 AM
jayp410

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts

51 miles, about 5000 ft of elevation gain, 3 hours 28 min time spent in motion. 14.7 mph average, with a substantial headwind on the downhill leg of each lap.
Man--is 111 miles going to take me 9 hours as I slow down towards the end of the ride???

If you're doing a 50 mile ride with 5000 ft elevation gain (that's a lot of climbing) you can definitely do a 111 mile ride with 2000 ft elevation gain (quite a flat ride), although you may be more exhausted by the end. I find flatter rides to hurt in different ways than ones with more hills as you have less of a break.

Your average will likely be 15 MPH or better because of the flat road compared to what you're doing now. If you're averaging 14.7 with all of that climbing you could probably average 17-18 on a 50 mile course of the same flatness as that century, but you will slow down due to the length of it.

I'd suggest starting out the first 1/2 of the ride taking it easy and not pushing yourself (especially up hills). Focus on efficiency with shifting, spin at a relatively high cadence, and make sure you're comfortable. At mile 55-60 start putting in a little more effort if you're feeling good, but don't overdo it. By mile 90 you'll likely be suffering but just keep going as best as possible.
Old 07-18-11, 09:59 AM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
only when it is my turn to pull.
Old 07-18-11, 10:18 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I guess my logic is that more speed for less effort = shorter time spent suffering ...
True dat. IMO, there's a strong time component. 5-7 hrs in the saddle is a long time and it's those last few hours that hurt the most. Did a century yesterday and figure I spent maybe 15-20% in the drops. The tops of my bars are 10cm below the top of the saddle. I find lower bars work better for my back than higher positions.
Old 07-18-11, 10:26 AM
chadwick
Slower than Yesterday

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Specialized Fatboy Carbon Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jayp410
If you're doing a 50 mile ride with 5000 ft elevation gain (that's a lot of climbing) you can definitely do a 111 mile ride with 2000 ft elevation gain (quite a flat ride),
2000 ft?! that's like the Himalayas!
Old 07-18-11, 10:34 AM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rutnick
only when it is my turn to pull.
This and on decent... Oh, and for the ultimate prize. It's very rare when not pulling that I have a need to go to the drops... Maybe to bridge when someone leaves a gap that has to be closed quick.

When solo riding I may use the drops more if I'm beating myself into a headwind and need to get my ride done.. Otherwise I don't worry about it since I gauge my training on time in the saddle and effort and not miles.
Old 07-18-11, 10:34 AM
Agave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I_just_love_ambiguous question that get definitive answers.

There are so many variables [many of them unknown] that the only plausible correct answer is: It depends.

My personal experience is that most 100+ training rides I'll use a variety of positions that suit the moment. But......last year, after stopping for some time dealing with a sticky link, I chased the fast bunch solo for 100 of the 111 mile ride. The vast majority of time I was on the drops [10+ cm drop].

Bad bike fit, bad fitness and your ride goals will have you in a different position then good fit/fitness and different goals.

Period.
Old 07-18-11, 11:26 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by TassR700
I really doubt a flat century will take you 9 hours as long as you are comfortable riding in a paceline. You did twice the climbing on your 50 mile ride you are going to do in the 111 of the ULCER. I would bet you will be done in less than 7.5 hours. Keep getting saddle time and you will be fine.
I have to agree - this is a fast ride. My bigger concern about mileage would be having your nutrition and hydration figured out over several hours. Longer rides not only help you build muscle endurance, but they let you sort out all of the other (sometimes subtle) factors that can play a big roll in having a good ride.

Good luck!

Last edited by Clipped_in; 07-18-11 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-18-11, 01:05 PM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
There is not big of a difference in your torso angle going from your hoods to your drops. You should not have that much pain in your legs. Your saddle may be too far back causing the angle to be sharper than it should be. When you do a hamstring stretch, can you touch your ankles? If not, you will want to stretch your hamstrings three times a day to loosen them up. Stretch each leg individually for 20 seconds and them both together for 20 seconds. Don't do any more than that in each session. You don't want to over do it. The goal is to slowly extend your ham strings, not over extend them in several long stretches.

On a century ride, you should change positions regularly to reduce fatigue. Change from drops, hoods, tops and out of saddle as appropriate to improve circulation and work different muscles. Unless you are trying for a time record, there is no reason to kill yourself. If you see a tandem in the century, then make friends with them and draft off of the tandem the whole way.
Old 07-18-11, 01:38 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll reinforce what was said earlier: use all positions as you are able, including being on the tops or hoods and then bending your elbows to get down a bit lower. Position-wise, that's kinda halfway between the tops and the drops.

Also, 9 hrs for a first 1.11x century is almost guaranteed. Those usually include lots of stopping, eating, peeing, resting, talking and just time spent scratching your head wondering what it's all about.

It's great fun! Enjoy!
Old 07-18-11, 01:48 PM
Timothy
Friend of Fred

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, you are overthinking this.
I did a 2 day 200 mile ride a couple weeks ago. Among people I saw complete the ride were guys on knobby tired mountain bikes wearing jeans, middle age woman on cruisers that were pushing 300 lbs and one guy on a unicycle.
You won't have a problem.
Old 07-18-11, 02:08 PM
Staggerwing

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you have the basic conditioning.

Besides mental fortitude, which may be more important than conditioning, your biggest issues will be staying properly hydrated, keeping your electrolyte balance in check and maintaining fueling.

On a recent, hot, flat 120 mile ride, I started with a banana and double oatmeal for breakfast, drank 8-9 full water bottles, had a quick Big Mac and salty fries (hey, it was trailside, about halfway in, settled fine), a 32oz bottle of Gatorade with a Snickers, and a couple salty peanut Nature Valley bars. Adjust to suite, but don't try anything radical or untested. Intake was paced fairly evenly over whole distance. Younger guy on a group ride last week yacked after a half a bottle of Cytomax and a tough hill. Just didn't sit well with him. YMWV.
Old 07-18-11, 02:12 PM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
You'll probably be fine for the first 60 miles, then suffer a massive stroke and die. But you'll do fine the next time. It's how most of us learned to distance ride.
Old 07-18-11, 02:13 PM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Bikes: Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DScott
Also, 9 hrs for a first 1.11x century is almost guaranteed. Those usually include lots of stopping, eating, peeing, resting, talking and just time spent scratching your head wondering what it's all about.

It's great fun! Enjoy!
My first 100 mile ride was solo and took just 6 hours. It was a mostly urban ride too. If I can do that, anyone can. With a proper bike fit, good saddle and knowing it's not about being in the drops all the time you can do it with little discomfort.
Old 08-07-11, 10:32 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
How much time do you spend riding in the drops when doing a century?

With just under a month to go before my 111 mile ride, I'm trying to figure out why I signed up. Can I even do it? It could be 100 degrees on the hot Utah roads in August. (ULCER is the official name of the ride.)

I usually ride on the hoods. After about seven weeks of riding, I'm just now getting enough flexibility to ride in the drops for short distances (a mile or so before going back to the hoods). Hamstrings don't like the position. The top of my bars are about 7cm lower than the seat.

When I go into drop position, my speed usually jumps up .5 mph or 1 mph. But it seems to cause more stress on my legs. I'm pretty tall at 6'2" so there is a ton of wind resistance if I am too upright.

*Should I try to spend increasing amounts of time in drop mode as I prepare for the century? Are there stretches I should be doing to increase flexibility? (Can barely touch the floor with my fingertips = not super flexible.)

*Last Question for now: If I can climb 4600 feet to the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon https://www.saltlakecycling.com/showride.php?rideID=1000 on a 40 mile round-trip ride, does that relate to being able to finish a century? So far that was my longest ride, and the century will only have around 2000 feet of climbing spread out over a long distance.
So Mudman, how did your ULCER ride turn out? It certainly was a beautiful day!

I had the funniest thing happen. I wore my Hincapie sportswear jersey for the ride (it's a good looking jersey IMO) and some guy asked me if I was really George. My response after laughing out loud was, "Well, we are the same height, but he's much better looking, 30# lighter, 10 years younger, and a whole lot faster on a bike." It kinda made my day however.

I guess people have pro riders on the brain since Mr. Hincapie, et al. will be riding that route in reverse on Thursday in the Tour of Utah.

Last edited by Clipped_in; 08-07-11 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-07-11, 10:50 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Drops are good. Going from the tops into a a good aero position makes a much much bigger difference than any aero frame or wheels. Practice makes perfect. Work at increasing the duration and intensity you can ride in the drops.
Old 08-07-11, 10:55 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
If the 111 miles is not a race and the goal is to finish one should take a lesson from those who are used to riding long distances... if you look at most touring set ups with drops the bar position is higher which can allow one to spend more time riding in the drops.

This is beneficial when one has to spend long hours riding into a headwind and a little more aero position helps a lot and it should not have to hurt.
Old 08-07-11, 11:23 AM
javal

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
If the 111 miles is not a race and the goal is to finish one should take a lesson from those who are used to riding long distances... if you look at most touring set ups with drops the bar position is higher which can allow one to spend more time riding in the drops.

This is beneficial when one has to spend long hours riding into a headwind and a little more aero position helps a lot and it should not have to hurt.
+1 If you´re not used to longer runs you should remain in paceline. Take shelter in groups if they allow it. Main thing must be to have a good day on the bike!
Old 08-07-11, 11:34 AM
mudman22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
So Mudman, how did your ULCER ride turn out? It certainly was a beautiful day!
It was incredible. Great tired feeling in my legs right now. Something I earned

That's awesome about your Hincapie jersey. I could lend you my huge seat bag, Road Morph pump and mountain-bike shoes, and then nobody would ask you if you were George

I'm looking for more centuries to sign up for--as long as they don't overlap with Utah football!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.