Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

small bike for son wanting to get into road biking

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-11, 05:04 AM
bashermax 
bashermax

Bikes: Jamis Eclipse, '81 TREK 613 (stolen) replaced by '82 Treck 613, Schwinn Supersport custom build (Stolen), Raleigh Scott Tinley - wife's(Stolen), Lightspeed Titanium custom build, late 70's Motobecane tandem, 80's Miyata 914, '86 TREK 400 Elance

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My son started riding my wife's (late 80's) Scott Tinley Tri-Lite. It's more C&V but still a quality ride as much as she rides it. I'm either gonna have to get her a new one (She doesn't like the 1" tires on the Scott) or find one for him to grow with. My wife is 5' 115lb, and teaches spinning, but doesn't road ride that much. My son is about 4' 9" and 75 lb (In the 8th grade!.. we're small people) and recently is really hyped about road biking rather than BMX etc... He doesn't like the color combo on the Wife's bike but that is easily remedied if need be (Altho I hate repainting a vintage bike even with the usual scrapes etc as long as it still has original decals).

I've been looking on ebay and Craig's List but not seeing much of a bargain. Don't want to break the bank on either if they don't spend time on the machine, but don't want junk that's not good enough/chore to ride either. Any suggestions for the boy? Wife?
Old 07-18-11, 05:15 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,255 Times in 631 Posts
It is Time to get the kid his own bike.

Old 07-18-11, 05:46 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 943 Times in 623 Posts
How about a flatbar hybrid with skinny tires ? With kids, I worry about braking with drop bars .... small hands, tough to stop quickly on the hoods, twitchier handling. And they outgrow quickly anyway.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-18-11, 06:48 AM
pmt
Experienced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have three small bikes for my eight and ten yr olds; one is a Trek KDR-1000 which is really great, though expensive. Another is a GMC Denali which is not great, but good enough; it's a road bike, so they're happy. Last one is a 46cm classic steel frame that I just had powder-coated ($125) and built up with Shimano 8-speed and 650c wheels. It's certainly hard to find the smaller bikes, but you have to just troll CL and eBay for small frames. Seems that 48cm is fairly common, though that might be a little too big for him.

Another one to look for is the Fuji Ace, as they made that in a small size.
Old 07-18-11, 07:00 AM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
I saw a kid here riding a little road bike with 650c wheels and it was from bikesdirect. I think it was a Motobecane.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 07-18-11, 07:54 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 769 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
How about a flatbar hybrid with skinny tires ? With kids, I worry about braking with drop bars .... small hands, tough to stop quickly on the hoods, twitchier handling. And they outgrow quickly anyway.
We put interruptor brakes on my daughter's bike for this reason. Worked well.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-18-11, 07:56 AM
FactVord

Bikes: 2011 Scott S30, 2012 Tarmac SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
+1 then you can always install a proper drop bar once he feels mature enough.
Old 07-18-11, 08:26 AM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
finding a small bike is not easy & they go fast on CL. Here are a couple I built for my son who is a bit smaller than your son (or was at the time)....

definitely C&V Faggin 47cm retro-modern build:

and a Specialized Hardrock 24" wheel cyclocross build...

I found a rather modern (like '06 or '07) Giant TCR-W on CL that fits my wife (about 5'2") a few weeks ago and felt rather lucky to have done so. All I can say is if you are looking for a used "deal" you need to know what you want and be prepared to act quickly because there are always lots of other people looking for small road bikes.
Old 07-18-11, 11:13 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bashermax
My son started riding my wife's (late 80's) Scott Tinley Tri-Lite. It's more C&V but still a quality ride as much as she rides it. I'm either gonna have to get her a new one (She doesn't like the 1" tires on the Scott) or find one for him to grow with. My wife is 5' 115lb, and teaches spinning, but doesn't road ride that much. My son is about 4' 9" and 75 lb (In the 8th grade!.. we're small people) and recently is really hyped about road biking rather than BMX etc... He doesn't like the color combo on the Wife's bike but that is easily remedied if need be (Altho I hate repainting a vintage bike even with the usual scrapes etc as long as it still has original decals).

I've been looking on ebay and Craig's List but not seeing much of a bargain. Don't want to break the bank on either if they don't spend time on the machine, but don't want junk that's not good enough/chore to ride either. Any suggestions for the boy? Wife?
Check out my thread at: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ally-found-one

As I mentioned there, cost including shipping was $350, but it's a really nice bike. Considering how much used kid-sized road bikes go for, I expect we'll get back our money when we sell it.

I should have asked the company for a referral bonus. ;-)
Old 07-18-11, 12:03 PM
zspoppa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
basher:
Our son has outgrown a small road bike that might fit your needs.
It's a long way from GA, but, take a look at our Craigslist posting and, if interested, please reply thru their response link, and we'll talk some more:
https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/bik/2499798077.html
Old 07-18-11, 12:51 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Felt and Specialized both make small versions of road bikes for children.