Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

How many miles on anew bike till the first tuneup?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-11, 09:54 PM
cervelo4me

is there a rule of thumb?im approaching 1000 miles and its 6 months old.also how long do tires last.bike is running great.do cables need to be tighter like on a mtb?

Old 07-18-11, 10:00 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Usually, one takes their bike into the place of purchase after a couple hundred miles or couple months to have all the adjustments checked. Normally, it is included in the purchase price when you got the bike. Yes, cables stretch. How long do tires last? No rule-of-thumb. Depends on the tire, your weight, and how you ride. I'd say you're due for a tune-up, if not overdue. You may want to call your shop first because it might have been "too long" since you purchased it.
Old 07-18-11, 10:44 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
the cables should be tighter than those on a mtb. tigher is better on a roadie. this puts a little more stretch on the cables so that the aerodynamics are maximized.
Old 07-19-11, 08:16 AM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Since you're not whining anymore, and probably riding more, probably should get a tune up soon
Old 07-19-11, 08:19 AM
stugi79

Bikes: 2011 Giant Rapid 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
I'd say you're due for a tune-up, if not overdue. You may want to call your shop first because it might have been "too long" since you purchased it.
^this
Old 07-19-11, 09:32 AM
cervelo4me

Originally Posted by Genaro
Since you're not whining anymore, and probably riding more, probably should get a tune up soon
i never said i was done whining.

Old 07-19-11, 09:33 AM
cervelo4me

they said i have a year

Old 07-19-11, 09:52 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by cervelo4me
they said i have a year
If it's still shifting fine and the brakes are still "tight", then wait for some foul weather or a string of days in triple digits. I'd bet if you took it in on a Monday, you'd get it back by the weekend. It is "important" to get that first adjustment service. Normally, it's about a $75-$90 job to have a bike fully tuned up. You're getting it for free. They will also check all the torques on the bolts to make sure nothing has loosened up. That's important from a safety standpoint.
Old 07-19-11, 10:28 AM
TJKnight

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale SuperSix HiMod 2, 2006 Cannondale six13

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get it tuned up now and then again the week before the one year purchase anniversary.
Old 07-19-11, 11:32 AM
Sci-Fi

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If everything is still fine now then you must not be riding very often. I had a tuneup done within a week or two on the hybrid i bought and i used it daily...30-50 miles a day. In any case take it in and use the freebie.
Old 07-26-11, 12:42 AM
lesiz
Flat Ire

Bikes: Trek 1100, DeRosa Idol

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
about the tires

You should be inspecting tires on your own frequently. When you go in for the tuneup have the mechanic show what to look for in tire wear and potential trouble spots. Also, it's good to swap front and rear tires about halfway thru tire life.
Old 07-26-11, 12:52 AM
Socalcycling
drop you like a potato

Bikes: MERCKX, RIDLEY CROSS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess you're really not into riding. 1000 miles in 6 months is really not many miles at all. Don't take a bike to a shop to have them turn a barrel a few rotations. It's a waste of time. At the rate you're riding your tires are going to last 5 years.
Old 07-26-11, 12:54 AM
Socalcycling
drop you like a potato

Bikes: MERCKX, RIDLEY CROSS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
the cables should be tighter than those on a mtb. tigher is better on a roadie. this puts a little more stretch on the cables so that the aerodynamics are maximized.
Ok, I assume you're kidding.. Cables... aerodynamics?? I sure hope so.
Old 07-26-11, 04:26 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You must be due for tune up by now. Is it still shifting smoothly? Breaks ok? Maybe they'll let you watch while it's done so that you are able to learn a bit as to how it's all done, next time you may wish to try it yourself.
Old 07-26-11, 11:55 AM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lesiz
You should be inspecting tires on your own frequently. When you go in for the tuneup have the mechanic show what to look for in tire wear and potential trouble spots. Also, it's good to swap front and rear tires about halfway thru tire life.
I would never do this. During a descent, the last thing I'd want is a worn-out-used-to-be-rear tire to give out on me on my front wheel - all because I was trying to save a couple bucks. What I do is ride the rear until the wear indicators tell me it's about time to replace it, then I swap the front to the rear and put a new tire on the front.
Old 07-26-11, 03:21 PM
cervelo4me

Originally Posted by Socalcycling
I guess you're really not into riding. 1000 miles in 6 months is really not many miles at all. Don't take a bike to a shop to have them turn a barrel a few rotations. It's a waste of time. At the rate you're riding your tires are going to last 5 years.
condescending response.sorry id love to ride all day but i have to do this thing called work.amazing to me the amount of time people have on their hands and assume everyone else does too.i rode enough in 6 months to drop 60 points of my cholesterol and stay off meds.i rode enough to to realize my bike components are great and my problem was just getting some experience.rode enough for the wife to say you ever gonna get off that bike?rode enough that the clipless pedals i was gonna toss now seem second nature to me.rode enough that i dont feel a thing for at least 20 miles cardio wise.rode so much the clothes dont embarrass me anymore,in fact ,thank god for those clothes.

Old 07-26-11, 03:22 PM
cervelo4me

rotate the tires?never knew but thanks

Old 07-26-11, 03:23 PM
cervelo4me

good idea and logical

Old 07-26-11, 05:26 PM
LAriverRat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have found after riding 6700 miles that I like a sticky tire in front and a more durable tire in the back. So I put Conti Ultra Sport on the front and Bontrager Hard case race light on the rear. I just replace each as needed. Just put a new conti on the front after 1500 miles. If you keep a ride log then you can see what you like the best for your type of riding.
Old 07-31-11, 04:27 AM
909Rider

Bikes: specialized allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride more than this, but that was still kind of uncalled for. If I rode to work, and rode home, essentially just commuting, this would be my mileage. I mean, its hard to justify telling someone they don't ride much if they commute using a bicycle no?

As for the OP's question, I had my tuned up after its first 150, then again at about 700. I mean, its free....
Old 07-31-11, 05:26 AM
scooter bopp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only have time to ride 1000 miles a year. The only way I can find more time to ride is if I give up my pesky job or give up sleeping. Anyway my wife just bought a new bike and the dealer said to bring it in after 200 miles or so, or within a year for the free tune up.
Old 08-01-11, 05:37 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Liked 930 Times in 281 Posts
every 6mo or so is good reminder to check the lil things like cable tension and stuff. rear tires for me last about 1k miles, I'll go through 2 backs to every front ratio. Lube the chain every other week or so or every time in bad weather or if you washed the bike.

most of the tune up stuff you can do your self, watch some youtube videos on it or just pay the $30-$45
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 08-01-11, 08:10 PM
GP

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cervelo4me
rotate the tires?never knew but thanks
Don't rotate tires. Rear tires wear faster and you do not want to put a worn tire on the front. If a rear tire goes flat it's inconvenient. You might even slide in a corner a little. If a front tire goes flat your steering is affected.
Old 08-01-11, 09:03 PM
bgross

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
Don't rotate tires. Rear tires wear faster and you do not want to put a worn tire on the front. If a rear tire goes flat it's inconvenient. You might even slide in a corner a little. If a front tire goes flat your steering is affected.
My routine is something like this:

Put on new tires.
Ride.
Replace rear tire.
Ride.
Replace both tires, retaining best old tire as a spare for the rear if it gets a cut and I can't get a new one immediately.
Ride.
Replace rear tire.
Old 08-01-11, 09:46 PM
GP

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bgross
My routine is something like this:

Put on new tires.
Ride.
Replace rear tire.
Ride.
Replace both tires, retaining best old tire as a spare for the rear if it gets a cut and I can't get a new one immediately.
Ride.
Replace rear tire.
I do the same.

My stock of used tires will slowly grow until my wife says something. Then I'll use them up and start again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.