Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I:

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-11, 09:35 PM
EpicSchwinn
Just smang it.

Bikes: Felt F1X, Trek 2300 Composite, Dawes Deadeye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by homebrewk
Nice bro. Love the new sig BTW. Retro!
Thanks! Now I'm considering doing a ride to Vancouver, BC. It'd be an even century round trip.
Old 07-30-11, 10:43 PM
mashtofu
(*^-^)v

Bikes: EAI Toyo Gojira (Godzilla)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I went for a 15ish mile ride through the redwoods. I wanted to go twice as far but my doc says I need to take it slow while my knees recover. Oh, and I used my bullhorns for the first time in nearly 3 months. I've been using risers so it was nice to stretch out for a change.

Counting down the days til my new frame arrives, and trying to decide between bullhorns or drops. Also tempted to try Fizik Microtex, but I'm afraid I'll regret not having gel inserts. And I'm torn between GR9 or Sylvan Track pedals; leaning toward Sylvan cus I hear GR9's are slippery when wet, and it rains here often. AND I'm debating MKS Small size steel toe clips with single straps, or normal size clips with doubles. I wear a womens size 6.5 / mens 5 / euro 37. So I'm afraid normal clips are too big, but I really prefer double straps over single. AHH DECISIONS! Too bad I'm not the type to ask you internet folk to decide for me. Life would be so much easier. Haha... But if anyone has input on my clips/straps situation I'd love to hear it.
Old 07-30-11, 11:01 PM
Butthash
Gold Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mashtofu
Today I went for a 15ish mile ride through the redwoods. I wanted to go twice as far but my doc says I need to take it slow while my knees recover. Oh, and I used my bullhorns for the first time in nearly 3 months. I've been using risers so it was nice to stretch out for a change.

Counting down the days til my new frame arrives, and trying to decide between bullhorns or drops. Also tempted to try Fizik Microtex, but I'm afraid I'll regret not having gel inserts. And I'm torn between GR9 or Sylvan Track pedals; leaning toward Sylvan cus I hear GR9's are slippery when wet, and it rains here often. AND I'm debating MKS Small size steel toe clips with single straps, or normal size clips with doubles. I wear a womens size 6.5 / mens 5 / euro 37. So I'm afraid normal clips are too big, but I really prefer double straps over single. AHH DECISIONS! Too bad I'm not the type to ask you internet folk to decide for me. Life would be so much easier. Haha... But if anyone has input on my clips/straps situation I'd love to hear it.
Right on, what kinda frame this time?! Also, despite what anyone tells you, screw Microtex(IMO) It is so uncomfortable, padding-wise. Eureka's Frequently wet, go with the Sylvans, I'd say, they are pretty comfy, 'specially if you don't get pedal-strike often, if you are worried about that, I think GRs are smaller. A small clip will hold your feet a bit tighter, and will drag less than a normal sized one, but I hear doubles are wonders for the hold as well. Oh, and if you are getting the Sylvan tracks pedals, make sure your shoes don't have HUGE tread, it's a little harder to get in and out of, IMO!

Well, hope I helped, and whatever decisions you pursue make you happy!
BTW, You, Chris and I should go riding some time or something if Y'all are down! Also, for the hell of it, B-lam and Ry as well! Get a Humboldt Fixed gear party goin' down!
Old 07-30-11, 11:07 PM
longjohns
Noob.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use fizik dual tape and it's plenty comfy!
Old 07-30-11, 11:15 PM
redpear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regular microtex is good for people like me, who find regular Cinelli cork tape uncomfortably over-padded, but find cotton tape too firm/hard.

I started with fat tapes, and I worked my way down to a good thinness I was comfortable with. If you like the thickness of the tape you have now, I'd say stick with that.
Old 07-30-11, 11:16 PM
Butthash
Gold Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redpear
Regular microtex is good for people like me, who find regular Cinelli cork tape uncomfortably over-padded, but find cotton tape too firm/hard.

I started with fat tapes, and I worked my way down to a good thinness I was comfortable with. If you like the thickness of the tape you have now, I'd say stick with that.
This!
Old 07-30-11, 11:23 PM
redpear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I am not a red pear. But still I am redpear.
Old 07-30-11, 11:54 PM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm loving my leather tape a lot more than I expected. Thought it'd just be pretty, but it's quite nice. I'm eager to try something else besides lizardskins on my horns also, I'm not really like those, despite the padding.

Originally Posted by Butthash
Oh, and if you are getting the Sylvan tracks pedals, make sure your shoes don't have HUGE tread
This x1000. I tried to go biking in my running shoes once (was going to bike to a track, run and bike home) but the tread and the arch in the shoe made it impossible to bike comfortable. I continuously got stuck on the pedal with them (was wearing nike free). Went home and put on my slip ons before even getting there.
Old 07-31-11, 12:04 AM
redpear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't tried them, but I always thought lizardskins were a sort of wrappable rubber grip, like the comfort of Oury but wrappable. Is this true?
Old 07-31-11, 10:00 AM
Lilcphoto
My name is Alex

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Stripper in RAW, Schwinn Madison 2008 Blue, Leader 725tr, Brassknuckle, Leader 722, Traitor Ruben

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't tried them, but I always thought lizardskins were a sort of wrappable rubber grip, like the comfort of Oury but wrappable. Is this true?
thinner than Oury grips, but still the rubber texture. Doesn't rub off like grips tho, it is really nice stuff if you want something other than leather or cork tape.
Old 07-31-11, 10:28 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 78 Posts
Today I start my off season.

I didn't race a lot this season...yet it was my best ever (go figure). My strength, power, speed, wattage, and Nationals results were all better. I even figured out and conquered this mental choking thing that had plagued me all of the previous season. I'm happy. I feel a sense of accomplishment.

I also picked up my first one of these last week at Masters Nationals:

(I'm trying to catch up with TT. He's got more than me.)

I'm taking 2 weeks off up to a month off of the bikes and gonna just chill. Maybe I'll start selling all of this extra gear that's been piling up.

Last edited by carleton; 07-31-11 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-31-11, 10:51 AM
hwdxbassist

Bikes: Affinity Lo Pro-madison(RIP)-specialzed bmx-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton

I didn't race a lot this season...yet it was my best ever (go figure). My strength, power, speed, wattage, and Nationals results were all better. I even figured out and conquered this mental choking thing that had plagued me all of the previous season. I'm happy. I feel a sense of accomplishment.

I'm taking 2 weeks off up to a month off of the bikes and gonna just chill. Maybe I'll start selling all of this extra gear that's been piling up.
Congrats Carleton.
Old 07-31-11, 11:45 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Nice one carleton!

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 07-31-11, 11:50 AM
homebrewk
yoked

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton

Congratulations! And don't hesitate to let us know about all the stuff you may be selling...
Old 07-31-11, 12:43 PM
homebrewk
yoked

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Today I found this.
Old 07-31-11, 01:11 PM
mashtofu
(*^-^)v

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lilcphoto
thinner than Oury grips, but still the rubber texture. Doesn't rub off like grips tho, it is really nice stuff if you want something other than leather or cork tape.
What do you mean it doesn't rub off? Like it's hard to clean? I love Oury grips so I might have to try these.

P.S. Congrats, Carleton!!
Old 07-31-11, 01:40 PM
rustybrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I: Offered my congratulations to Carleton. Enjoy sitting on the couch, drinking beer and eating unhealthy snacks.
Old 07-31-11, 01:41 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
What do you mean it doesn't rub off? Like it's hard to clean? I love Oury grips so I might have to try these.

P.S. Congrats, Carleton!!
He means it's very durable and lasts for a long time; the layer that provides the grip does not wear off with use. If I recall correctly, I was the first one on here to get it, a year and a half ago. I'm still using that the same roll on my bike, it has held up quite well. I've found the price I paid for it money well spent, it's about double the price of microtex at your LBS but it can be had for cheaper from retrogression.

Another plus is, if you've always wanted white or yellow bar tape but hated how it would turn gross or yellow after just a few rides; this would not be the case with lizardskins.

If you're wondering about the company, lizardskins recently entered the road market; they primarily/ originally exclusively created goods geared toward the likes of all the disciplines of MTB; aka grips!

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 07-31-11, 02:08 PM
mashtofu
(*^-^)v

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Leuky! I'll try it out
Old 07-31-11, 02:50 PM
redpear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, what Alex meant by 'rubbing off' is that track grips (and maybe Oury's) tend to leave a residue on your hands, because the rubber rubs off as you grip them.
Old 07-31-11, 02:59 PM
63_dorinte
Schwinn Magnet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats to Carleton!

Today I:

(Yesterday)
1. Met the guy who bought my motorcycle, he paid me in cash, I signed the title over, then I helped load the bike into his truck. Went smooth, though it took 2.5 hours between going through everything and just talking. That gives me enough money to pay for the two frames I just bought. One of those will be built up with parts from my Centurion. The other I should be able to buy some parts for next month (I have a balanced budget requirement). I probably should sell a few of my bikes as well, I don't need them all but can't bring myself to part with any.

2. Rode 32 miles on the rollers (again) waiting for the mail (again) for a package I have to sign for (again) which did not come .

3. Watched a massive storm sweep through with heavy rain and lightning.

(Today)
1. Laundry

2. Rode 23 miles on the rollers with spin sprints, 20 miles at 50% resistance and a short interlude at 100%. According to the cyclometer, peaked at 36.6mph / 165rpm which is a new personal best for me. I am able to spin smoothly in the mid 150s, but only for 15-20 seconds at a time.

3. Don't plan to do anything useful for the rest of the day, maybe a nap.
Old 07-31-11, 03:02 PM
mashtofu
(*^-^)v

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, what Alex meant by 'rubbing off' is that track grips (and maybe Oury's) tend to leave a residue on your hands, because the rubber rubs off as you grip them.
Ah, that makes sense. I always ride with gloves, so even if they did rub off it wouldn't bother me too much. I'm stoked to try the Lizard Skins; I've always used synthetic cork and the grip sucks when it's wet.. Which is one reason why I normally use my risers/Ourys. Thanks for the input everyone, and sorry about spamming/hijacking the Today thread. I'm just SO EXCITED for my new bike. Haha..
Old 07-31-11, 03:10 PM
avner
Fueled by Tigers Blood

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yo seriously don't use sylvans. I normally ride clipless, right now due to my shoes dying I've been rocking toshi/sylvan combo and my feet are in real agony and I wouldn't recommend anything over 10 miles in a day on them :/
Old 07-31-11, 03:26 PM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ah, that makes sense. I always ride with gloves, so even if they did rub off it wouldn't bother me too much. I'm stoked to try the Lizard Skins; I've always used synthetic cork and the grip sucks when it's wet.. Which is one reason why I normally use my risers/Ourys. Thanks for the input everyone, and sorry about spamming/hijacking the Today thread. I'm just SO EXCITED for my new bike. Haha..
See that had me all excited too, the thought of something like a grip for my tape, but it doesn't compare to me. I feel like it's thicker and obviously should be padded more as a result, but I just don't feel the comfort in lizardskins the way I hoped I would. Definitely worth trying out though

today I went to have lunch and see a movie with the family. had some burgers and then saw crazy stupid love. movie was eh alright, but it was free, as was the meal
Old 07-31-11, 03:34 PM
boxerboxer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last week I was removing the stock cog on my conversion's rear wheel and it somehow crossthreaded and ruined the threads. Fearing the worst, I took it into the LBS that sold it to me and they said worst case they'll give me a new wheel (Alex TA19 laced to whatever low-end flip-flop hub they keep around), and they're going to check in to warranty, as they agreed with me that that should never have happened given the cog and lockring were put on at the factory and checked by LBS and me. Makes me feel (a tiny bit) better about paying the higher prices there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.