Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me identify this Cinelli!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help me identify this Cinelli!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-11, 03:23 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Bikes: 2010 Niner EMD, 2008 Surly Steamroller, 2007 Giant OCR.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gridplan
Keep the pics coming. Your bike reminds me a lot of my ca. '63 Cinelli Mod. A. Would that it were chrome like yours!
Thanks. I'll take pics as it starts to come together more.... and now that I've got more time to work on it.

I tried taking a picture of the Rear Derailleur as I disassembled it --- I was AMAZED to find tiny ball bearings and cones inside of the derailleur pulleys! Incredible. Maybe that's common with this old campy stuff? I've never seen that before. I would have taken a picture but my crummy point-and-shoot couldn't take a clear photo of something that small.
Old 08-05-11, 03:33 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alan, thanks for running a quality company. I'm currently awaiting my order of various parts and the backordered VO Porteur bars, but I've had nothing but good interactions with Tree Fort in the past and don't really expect anything less with this one.

So OT: thanks. And HOT Cinelli. Can't wait to see the frame once it's finally complete.
Old 08-05-11, 03:44 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan@TreeFort
Its about time this thread deserves a BUMP.

I've been working quite a bit on this bike and I have to say its one of the most fun and rewarding projects I've done. Unfortunately time is limited, so my progress is slow, but in the same sense this restoration is kicking my butt. Everything is requiring to be completely disassembled, totally cleaned, and restored. All threads are getting grease. All surfaces are being safely cleaned and polished.

I'm going a very safe route on this. I've only been using cotton rags, WD-40, Mother's (for alloy), NevrDull (for chrome), and steel wool for only the roughest of rust (so far only on bottle cages and spokes). And of course, lots of time, elbow grease, and frustration.

The bike is completely disassembled, save for the headset and BB. I'm done with brakes, derailleurs, bars/stem, and bottle cages. Front hub shell is completely cleaned and polished, still need to repack bearings. Parts are only polished by hand so they don't really keep their shine after handling them - I'll take a buffer to it before reassembling everything.

RIM UPDATE: both rims are shot. I ended up finding identical replacements (which are Fiamme Red Label) from the awesome guys at Sic Transit Cycle in Ann Arbor. Gave me an killing deal because they are great dudes. Check them out. The "new" rims are currently getting old glue chipped off and then will be polished to death. Once the hub is repacked, the wheel will be laced back together with all the same spokes and nipples, but which are now in pristine condition. I'll post a pic when its built.

For now, here are the best looking parts disassembled and cleaned!

OMG! Khatfull's got another disciple!

Superb work on those parts Alan!
Old 08-05-11, 04:22 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maddox
Alan, thanks for running a quality company. I'm currently awaiting my order of various parts and the bahttps://www.bikeforums.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=13040882ckordered VO Porteur bars, but I've had nothing but good interactions with Tree Fort in the past and don't really expect anything less with this one.

So OT: thanks. And HOT Cinelli. Can't wait to see the frame once it's finally complete.
Maddox - PM sent.

Last edited by Alan@TreeFort; 08-05-11 at 04:27 PM. Reason: derailment
Old 08-06-11, 02:37 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Free time is great. This is my Sunday afternoon:

Got a couple questions too.

1.) I found this stamped on the backside of the lock nut. CAM 65. Is this possibly a manufacture date? I still haven't found any solid info on the year of this bike.

2.) I'm a little tricked up by the dust seal. Not sure if it snaps in like the Shimano hubs - or if it threads out, by using a spanner wrench in the whole (if so, which way is it threaded?) - or if it just doesn't come out. I've tried very lightly to both pop it out from behind and to unthread it, and didn't budge either way.

Old 08-06-11, 04:06 PM
iab

Liked 3,946 Times in 1,439 Posts
You are correct, the 65 is for 1965. Probably your best bet for dating the bike.

Looking great! I look forward to seeing it rebuilt.
Old 08-06-11, 04:18 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
2.) I'm a little tricked up by the dust seal. Not sure if it snaps in like the Shimano hubs - or if it threads out, by using a spanner wrench in the whole (if so, which way is it threaded?) - or if it just doesn't come out. I've tried very lightly to both pop it out from behind and to unthread it, and didn't budge either way.
Me, I'd leave the dust caps in place. You can get grease in the right place, though it's a bit more of a pain, use tweezers to get the balls in, then assemble. IMHO it would be a shame to muck those caps. I can't imagine them being threaded can you? Might that hole be to allow oil out of the bearings as it was added through the middle port? That way you'd flush the bearings as you oiled?

Lovely bike, and your restoration looks fabulous.
Old 08-06-11, 04:54 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Liked 303 Times in 100 Posts
The dust seals aren't threaded. I've used broad flat screwdrivers or old metal tire irons to gently pry them out and then a rubber mallet to gently tap them into place. But, you can also replace grease and bearings without removing them. Your call. If there's a lot of old grease gunked up in there, I'd remove them, as it makes it easier to clean, grease, and replace.
Old 08-06-11, 06:14 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
The dust seals aren't threaded. I've used broad flat screwdrivers or old metal tire irons to gently pry them out and then a rubber mallet to gently tap them into place. But, you can also replace grease and bearings without removing them. Your call. If there's a lot of old grease gunked up in there, I'd remove them, as it makes it easier to clean, grease, and replace.
Thanks. I ended up just leaving the dust caps there and cleaned it thoroughly with q-tips, rags, and Clean Streak - that stuff works wonders. I'm going to replace the bearings, so will take a couple days to get them and put the hub back together.
Old 08-06-11, 06:31 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I just saw the entire bike and bits. No need to take off the dust caps.

The bike is freaking amazing, it will clean up very nice, with just enough patina to be authentic.

Thanks for bringing it by. Slo and easy is the course now. remove surface rust before it hits the chrome.. No abrasives at all.
Old 08-06-11, 06:36 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Liked 205 Times in 127 Posts
I predict many years of pride of ownership ahead of you. What a wonderful present and a wonderful bike.
Old 08-06-11, 06:38 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
I just saw the entire bike and bits. No need to take off the dust caps.

The bike is freaking amazing, it will clean up very nice, with just enough patina to be authentic.

Thanks for bringing it by. Slo and easy is the course now. remove surface rust before it hits the chrome.. No abrasives at all.
Thanks Old Fat Guy (by the way your BF name is a little deceiving).

I'll be cleaning up the frame tonight, I've got some time. Yep, slow is the word. Hell, in the end this bike is going to be a lot less fun once its completely finished!

Last edited by Alan@TreeFort; 08-06-11 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-06-11, 07:08 PM
rootboy 

Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Just a stunning bike. Yes, a bike like that must be great fun to work on and bring immense satisfaction as you become intimately involved with all the pieces and parts. You've been graced with a wonderful project. I too eagerly wait to see the finished bike.
Old 08-06-11, 07:22 PM
rootboy 

Just curious Alan, did you replace the brake pads or are those the originals? Almost look like Kool stop material. The red pads on my mod. 61's look more fibrous with that white fiber they mixed into the compound, whatever that was.
Old 08-06-11, 07:32 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks Old Fat Guy (by the way your BF name is a little deceiving).

I'll be cleaning up the frame tonight, I've got some time. Yep, slow is the word. Hell, in the end this bike is going to be a lot less fun once its completely finished!
What do you mean? I am as old as dirt.
Old 08-06-11, 09:19 PM
repechage

Liked 2,848 Times in 2,009 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
You are correct, the 65 is for 1965. Probably your best bet for dating the bike.

Looking great! I look forward to seeing it rebuilt.
1965 is pretty late for pre Record hubs, note no RECORD stamped below the logo in the hub shells. It would be interesting to read what is on the rear hub, parts can be replaced.

What a terrific gift, and to a guy who did not turn it into a "fixie".

I would be scouting for:

Replacement brake lever hoods and nipples
Cloth tape, Cinelli often used red on chrome bikes,
Red toe straps ALE or Binda
An ALE waterbottle.
I would consider new spoke nipples and maybe even new spokes, it reads as this bike came with chrome spokes, period new replacements are around.
New tires of course
An Italian language newspaper to roll up the spare tubular in. Use one of the old toe straps to secure.
I would leave the saddle unless you want to go Brooks Professional or modified B17
If you want to ride the bike for any serious miles the brake blocks are killers, great for show, but you need a set of fresh blocks and holders.

A CInelli in my size has been too elusive for me yet.

The chrome stem with badge is a fun feature.
I have a bike from 1961 with the same set up sans badge, no anno bars and steel stem, I wonder if Cinelli made some stems just for the alloy bars, as the clamp area is larger than the steel bars.
Old 08-07-11, 06:19 AM
Alan@TreeFort

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Just curious Alan, did you replace the brake pads or are those the originals? Almost look like Kool stop material. The red pads on my mod. 61's look more fibrous with that white fiber they mixed into the compound, whatever that was.
Those are the pads that came on the bike. There's a chance they are not the originals, but as far as I know they could be. I'll need to change them, they are completely dried out and hardened.
Old 08-07-11, 06:40 AM
rootboy 

Those are the pads that came on the bike. There's a chance they are not the originals, but as far as I know they could be. I'll need to change them, they are completely dried out and hardened.
Maybe they're petrified original Uni's. NOS ones are available on ebay, for an arm and a leg, but in my experience they aren't great stoppers. I just switched out the ones on my Frejus of similar time frame so I didn't kill myself.
Old 08-07-11, 08:03 AM
iab

Liked 3,946 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
1965 is pretty late for pre Record hubs, note no RECORD stamped below the logo in the hub shells. It would be interesting to read what is on the rear hub, parts can be replaced.
There is presidence of no Record hubs with locknuts stamped 65 beside this example. God only knows the manufacturing schedule of Campagnolo in those transition years.

I would look at the wear of the cones and compare that to the wear on the hub races. Also, I wonder if the front and back lock nuts are 65.
Old 08-07-11, 09:03 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Liked 303 Times in 100 Posts
My '65 Mercian (which is date stamped and confirmed by the factory) came with "No Record" hubs. I can't recall what year the lock nuts are.
Old 08-16-11, 11:04 PM
Otis

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SANTE POLLASTRI
beautiful,it's a model b s.c.
Huh? Can't be both.
Old 08-16-11, 11:35 PM
vjp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Its an S.C. it even has the decal on the seat tube.

yes,sorry,it's model B.
Old 08-17-11, 08:56 AM
Otis

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
could be,but I see the fender attacks.
It's an S.C.

They had fender eyelets in the early 60's (like most Italian racing bikes).
Old 08-23-11, 04:22 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update!

Still working away slowly, things are coming together very nicely. I'm amazed to find many of these parts are in such great condition as I break them down.

My most recent big project was the front wheel. It has been completely disassembled and rebuilt with a new (to me) rim, the same Fiamme Red Label that came stock on the bike. Scraped the old glue off with a screwdriver, steel wool, WD-40, and lots of patience. Spokes were cleaned individually with steel wool; nipples were individually cleaned with a Dremel and brass brush. Mother's polished up the hub and rims very nicely.

The hub has no damage, just a very narrow ring of wear around the cones but that is it. Repacked with new bearings and Phil Wood grease, it feels amazing and spins forever.

I would never recommend building a wheel with used nipples and spokes - that is, unless it's something like this . It actually came together very nicely. Still needs final tensioning, but otherwise done. I'm estimating about 10 cumulative hours for the whole project. Enjoy the pics.

Old 08-23-11, 05:24 PM
gridplan
Veni, Vidi, Bici

Bikes: Colnagos (2005 Brera Art, 2007 President LdV, 2007 CF6)

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Your wheels look amazing. They really cleaned up well. Are they original to the bike? The reason I ask is because I was told that Fiammes like yours, which lack text above the helmet, are late 60's to around 1970. Yours are identical to what I used to restore my ca. '70 Masi. Masi Bob (Hovey) told me that early to mid-60's Fiammes say Brev. Longhi or something like that above the helmet. I'm more curious than anything else. It's so hard, at least for me, to pin down when Fiammes were in production.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.