Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mavic Aksium - will I "fold them in half"?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mavic Aksium - will I "fold them in half"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 07:33 PM
wrr1020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aksiums are a pretty damn tough wheelset. There a no frills type of wheel as they don't excel in any one category but being sturdy is one of their strong suits. I rode them without any issues then again i only weigh 145 pounds.
Old 08-11-11, 07:50 PM
psuaero
Never fear the hills...

Bikes: 2011 Giant TCR Advanced, 2010 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro, 2011 Redline Monocog Flight 29r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I doubt it... they came stock on my CX bike. Took a pounding for 5 races last year and were as true as the day I got them. I only weighed 172 lbs. but riding a cyclocross races is way more punishing than rolling the road.
Old 08-11-11, 07:55 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Liked 30 Times in 26 Posts
Doubtful that you'll fold those porkers.

I kinda wonder what he was trying to sell you now. Most bikeshops anymore don't know their way around a wheel, so it seems unlikely that he was pushing for a more durable handbuilt set.

Ride the Aksiums. If you do fold 'em, warranty them and sell the warrantied set on E-bay. Then contact a good wheelbuilder.

But my money is on those tubby tanks holding up for you.
Old 08-11-11, 08:17 PM
muidaq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same bike. Same weight. No problems. Get the black and green and you'll be fine.
Old 08-11-11, 08:52 PM
nixternal
Fat man in a little coat

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, Trek 1.2T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I destroyed the Aksiums, but I didn't fold them in half. I ride the hell out of wheels, and all I did was make them go untrue on damn near a weekly basis. Finally on a ride one night, while doing a sprint, spokes just started popping in the rear. That didn't buckle them or fold them, but made them impossible to ride. Finally got to the point to where truing wasn't going to make them right. Oh, I was around 265 pounds at that time. The shop guy is full of BS, you aren't going to fold them, maybe just whack them out of true from time to time. Wheels aren't designed for people who used to squat 800+ pounds 3 times a week. I have since learned how to take it a bit easier on wheels, and I am riding wheels at 250 pounds that around only 16 spoke (PSIMET is my witness) and they are perfect, but freakin' heavy.
Old 08-11-11, 08:57 PM
yarb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Aksiums have been 100% true for 4000 miles and counting. Great wheels.
Old 08-11-11, 09:02 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Liked 1,324 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by nixternal
I destroyed the Aksiums, but I didn't fold them in half. I ride the hell out of wheels, and all I did was make them go untrue on damn near a weekly basis. Finally on a ride one night, while doing a sprint, spokes just started popping in the rear. That didn't buckle them or fold them, but made them impossible to ride. Finally got to the point to where truing wasn't going to make them right. Oh, I was around 265 pounds at that time. The shop guy is full of BS, you aren't going to fold them, maybe just whack them out of true from time to time. Wheels aren't designed for people who used to squat 800+ pounds 3 times a week. I have since learned how to take it a bit easier on wheels, and I am riding wheels at 250 pounds that around only 16 spoke (PSIMET is my witness) and they are perfect, but freakin' heavy.
I try not to witness anything having to do with you.... - hey....we're riding cross in the morning on Sat. U in?

Old 08-11-11, 10:17 PM
BAG
Back for More

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aksiums are great general purpose wheels. I don't think you'll have any problems but the salesperson may have been talking about their less than stellar racing qualities. They seem to deal with weight very well but I know people who destroyed them pretty quickly using them for racing/training. That's just my view on things, give them a try I say.
Old 08-11-11, 10:45 PM
nixternal
Fat man in a little coat

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, Trek 1.2T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I try not to witness anything having to do with you.... - hey....we're riding cross in the morning on Sat. U in?
I have to set up Winfield dude, you coming to that? I am trying to get Nowak's old XO2 from Mary Lee's son so I can do cross this season.
Old 08-11-11, 10:47 PM
Lexi01

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod / Scott Spark 930 / Scott Sportster 20 / Jamis Allegro 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay.

So the consensus is the LBS was either trying to grab a little more cash out of me or they didn't know what they talking about. Either way I'll be going elsewhere.

Thanks heaps for all of the replies guys. Very helpful.

Cheers.
Old 08-11-11, 11:14 PM
abarth
Я люблю суп

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I started riding on them when I was 225 and now I am 206. They are still true after over 1000 miles. I bunny hoped on them, hit potholes at 40mph, never had a problem. The braking surface has lot of meat on it. Only one downsize for the Aksium is.....weight.
Old 08-11-11, 11:37 PM
Lexi01

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod / Scott Spark 930 / Scott Sportster 20 / Jamis Allegro 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simnorm
I'm 6'5" 215 and almost bought the same bike but was fitted to a 63cm. I could probably fit on a 60cm CAAD10, but with a bigger saddle-bar drop...
I forgot to ask...do you find the 63 a bit of a stretch?

I walked into the shop pretty much thinking I was a 63cm...but they were pretty certain that would have been way too big.

The BB to top of seatpost clamp measurement on my current hybrid is 590mm, the same measurement on the 60cm CAAD is 580mm and the 63cm has a 610mm tube.

Now considering I ride my current (hybrid) with a 400mm seat post fully extended I was sure I'd need the 63cm bike as the 60cm had a shorter tube...the LBS was saying you can't compare seat tube between road bikes and hybrids? But to me the seat tube height directly determines the saddle height...?

I didn't get it...
Old 08-12-11, 12:21 AM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I've used Aksiums for a few years and am 200lbs. But I also bunny hop and go thru pot holes and take bike road bike off road, the wheels have been fine.

I think you should stick with the Aksiums, after a year or two *IF* you feel you need new wheels, then get handbuilt ones with greater number of spokes, stronger rim etc.
Old 08-12-11, 07:28 AM
simnorm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lexi01

I walked into the shop pretty much thinking I was a 63cm...but they were pretty certain that would have been way too big.

The BB to top of seatpost clamp measurement on my current hybrid is 590mm, the same measurement on the 60cm CAAD is 580mm and the 63cm has a 610mm tube.

Now considering I ride my current (hybrid) with a 400mm seat post fully extended I was sure I'd need the 63cm bike as the 60cm had a shorter tube...the LBS was saying you can't compare seat tube between road bikes and hybrids? But to me the seat tube height directly determines the saddle height...?

I didn't get it...
You'll fit a 60cm. But at 6'5" that 63cm isn't too big. Why is cannondale making bikes that size, how often do you see guys taller than you?

There's only 1cm tob tube difference between the 60cm and 63cm. The 3cm extra in the head tube which will make for a more relaxed position, less of a bar drop.
I ended buying a bike with 58.8 TT and a 21cm HT, not the CAAD.
Old 08-12-11, 07:43 AM
Steve90068

Bikes: Road - Lynskey. Mountain - Trek Fuel EX

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
you wont find many wheels that are studier but you will find hundreds that are lighter.

ride the hell out of them and when you upgrade, keep the Aksiums as training wheels
Old 08-12-11, 08:39 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't get it...
This is the measurement you want to compare between bikes/frames. Road bikes usually call for a different fit than hybrids but it is easier to extrapolate that based on stack and reach than advertised frame size or seat tube length.

Edit: I read that you were worried about the seat tube length and seatpost extension. That could limit your bike options. Crank length can also affect that if the difference is big enough. Sounds like compact geo frames could be a problem for you.

Last edited by mmmdonuts; 08-12-11 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-12-11, 02:39 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simnorm
You'll fit a 60cm. But at 6'5" that 63cm isn't too big. Why is cannondale making bikes that size, how often do you see guys taller than you?
I'm 6'5" and fit a CAAD9 60 cm quite comfortably. 63 is too big for me. Notice that the reach is about the same on the 63, just more seat setback.
Old 08-12-11, 11:30 PM
sw686blue

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I was 265 lbs when I started and now I'm down to 257 lbs. No issues whatsoever with my Aksiums. Perfectly true so far!
Old 08-13-11, 12:32 AM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
These are the Aksium Race wheels we are talking about here, right? Or slightly different?
Old 08-13-11, 03:33 AM
lazerzxr

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
This is the measurement you want to compare between bikes/frames. Road bikes usually call for a different fit than hybrids but it is easier to extrapolate that based on stack and reach than advertised frame size or seat tube length.

Edit: I read that you were worried about the seat tube length and seatpost extension. That could limit your bike options. Crank length can also affect that if the difference is big enough. Sounds like compact geo frames could be a problem for you.
its so nice to read comments from someone who actually understands bike sizing and fit - most people on here have me banging my head on the keyboard with their clueless ramblings about top tube length and stand over height
Old 08-13-11, 03:49 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I call bulli*****.

I think you will do fine with them.

Consider 25 width tires if stock are 23's.
Same here. BS.
Old 08-13-11, 04:37 AM
Lexi01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mmmdonuts

So with the CAAD 10s. The 60cm has a stack of 59.3cm and a reach of 40.4cm and the 63cm has a stack 2.9cm bigger but the reach is 0.5cm shorter. My first thought here was that it must be a misprint on the Cannondale website - but probably not. Regardless...it sounds as though I should go for the 63cm.

Sorry for the sizing questions here guys....but my local stores don't keep anything above a 58 in stock and won't order one unless I commit to buying it. So I'm sort of in a bind and need to size my bike without sitting on it. My measurements are below for what its worth:

Height 197cm / 6ft 5 and a bit
Inseam 95cm / 37.5in
Arms 81cm / 32in
Old 08-13-11, 05:10 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So with the CAAD 10s. The 60cm has a stack of 59.3cm and a reach of 40.4cm and the 63cm has a stack 2.9cm bigger but the reach is 0.5cm shorter. My first thought here was that it must be a misprint on the Cannondale website - but probably not. Regardless...it sounds as though I should go for the 63cm.

Sorry for the sizing questions here guys....but my local stores don't keep anything above a 58 in stock and won't order one unless I commit to buying it. So I'm sort of in a bind and need to size my bike without sitting on it. My measurements are below for what its worth:

Height 197cm / 6ft 5 and a bit
Inseam 95cm / 37.5in
Arms 81cm / 32in
Their numbers are correct. My calcs come within 1mm of what they published. The 63cm has a shallower seat tube angle, 72 vs 72.5, and that shortens the reach. BUT if you extend the head tube length for each to where you would install the stem/bars which should be equal on both bikes then the reach on the 63cm is roughly 5mm longer than the 60cm. That is well within the adj range of stem and bars if it needed to be tweaked at all.
Old 08-13-11, 05:49 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride them and NO problems at 193 lbs. By the way; I think you mean Easton wheels not eastern. If so, EA 70's are also bombproof.
Old 08-13-11, 08:59 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lazerzxr
its so nice to read comments from someone who actually understands bike sizing and fit - most people on here have me banging my head on the keyboard with their clueless ramblings about top tube length and stand over height
I really like the concept of stack and reach and that more mfgs are including those with their geo numbers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.