Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

helmet fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 02:46 PM
powitte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
helmet fit

You'd think this is a noob question, but I've been riding 5k a year for 6 years now, all of it with a helmet on.

I bought a new one today, thinking my old one probably is well past its prime. A Bell Slant. I've never bothered to read the instructions before, but I figured I should glance at it at least.

The fit check instructions say you should try to tilt it forward and back with "serious effort", and if it exposes either the back of your head or forehead, the chin strap should be further tightened. No matter what I do, unless I feel like I'm literally choking myself, it will slide backwards over my head.

Options: I'm doing something wrong, the helmet isn't compatible with my anatomy, or it's impossible to achieve and I won't do better with any other model. Thoughts? Of course, I expect to hear a resounding response in favor of the first option.
Old 08-13-11, 03:03 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
https://www.zappos.com/bell-citi-matte-pewter

Old 08-13-11, 05:03 PM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you can move your helmet around like that, it doesn't fit you. Tightening the chin strap isn't going to change that. Either you need a smaller size, or the helmet is designed for a head shape that doesn't match yours. (Helmets are made to fit a specific head shape just as shoes are made using different lasts for a variety of foot shapes.)

I know some bike helmets have an adjuster to fine-tune the size. If yours has one, maybe that would help. Otherwise I would say you just got the wrong helmet, and need to go try on some other ones until you find one that fits.
Old 08-13-11, 05:58 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by powitte
You'd think this is a noob question, but I've been riding 5k a year for 6 years now, all of it with a helmet on.

I bought a new one today, thinking my old one probably is well past its prime. A Bell Slant. I've never bothered to read the instructions before, but I figured I should glance at it at least.

The fit check instructions say you should try to tilt it forward and back with "serious effort", and if it exposes either the back of your head or forehead, the chin strap should be further tightened. No matter what I do, unless I feel like I'm literally choking myself, it will slide backwards over my head.

Options: I'm doing something wrong, the helmet isn't compatible with my anatomy, or it's impossible to achieve and I won't do better with any other model. Thoughts? Of course, I expect to hear a resounding response in favor of the first option.
I have that model.

Tighten the helmet in the back, then with the chin straps. Also, Adjust the chin straps on the side.
Old 08-13-11, 06:28 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have a head which is shaped longer than most. So every hat/helmet I've ever worn is tight on the front and back whilst there is about 1/4 inch of gap each side. I doubt I'm the only person with this problem. I'd no more expect everyone to have the same shape head as I would expect them to have the same shape ass.

Much the same issue arises with shirts. They think your neck size governs how big the shirt you require.

Too much emphasis on aesthetics and very little effort goes into functionality. It's all about manufacture-sell-profit.
Old 08-14-11, 08:16 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If the helmet pulls off the back of your head, but not the front, try shortening the amount of strap in front of your ears. If that doesn't work, take it back to the shop and ask them to help you. If you have a tall pointy head, you may need a different helmet that more closely matches the shape of your head.