Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Shimano's Road Touring SPD Pedals

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Shimano's Road Touring SPD Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-11, 08:40 PM
hsh101

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek 7.3FX, Trek 4.7 Madone, Trek Crossrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
I've been wondering if folks were really talking about A530 and not the A520.

The A520 is strictly a clipless pedal from what I understand, not platform on one side, clipless on the other.
I was going to jump in and say the same thing. I've got A520's for my road bike, and A530's for my hybrid commuter. Have been happy with both. Forgot my bike shoes the other day, and was able to get home with the A530's and my sneakers.
Old 08-17-11, 01:09 PM
Praxis
Not a legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do the road pedals have the larger platform compared with something like the M-520, M-450, etc? You'd almost think that the road version would be smaller due to weight weenieism. I realize that something designed to be half platform half clipless would do this, but why for a road pedal?

You can read this as: "what am I missing with the smaller M-520?"
Old 08-17-11, 01:44 PM
tjspiel

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Praxis
Why do the road pedals have the larger platform compared with something like the M-520, M-450, etc? You'd almost think that the road version would be smaller due to weight weenieism. I realize that something designed to be half platform half clipless would do this, but why for a road pedal?

You can read this as: "what am I missing with the smaller M-520?"

Road pedals are designed to support more of your foot for better power transfer and to minimize hot spots.

Probably doesn't matter a ton for most people. My left foot especially well get numb on longer/more strenuous rides. Making sure I've got a roomy toe box in my shoes helped but didn't eliminate the problem. Getting a set of road pedals seems to have solved it.

Last edited by tjspiel; 08-17-11 at 01:49 PM.