Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

To Ultegra Di2 or To DA7900, that is the QUESTION....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

To Ultegra Di2 or To DA7900, that is the QUESTION....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 06:07 PM
DonDenver
downhill quickly

Bikes: SWorks Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclingvirtual
I was initially dead against electric shifters, after talking to varoius people and forum posts, I am only marginally against them now

(Sorry OP for this side note)

cv, it's posts like yours that keep me reading this forum...my wIfe thought I was a fool laughing for so long.
Old 08-17-11, 07:49 PM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Go Ultegra DI2 just so we get the review and pictures on an actual bike.

This is on my list but I want to see how it works and understand it a little better.

j.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJXKCoxMLnU
Old 08-17-11, 08:05 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hao
I hope you are joking. You are comparing the Internet to a little device with the sole purpose of moving the chain a little bit?
Al Gore must be rolling in his grave. What's this you say, he's still alive?
Old 08-17-11, 10:12 PM
mutantdunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DonDenver
Use the electronic DTrain of the new U Di2 (and superior to that of DA Di2) along with mech 7900 brake and crank. Some nice performance with that combo.

Note for some; Electronic equals IPad...mech equals YellowPad.
This is the way to go.
Old 08-17-11, 10:18 PM
mutantdunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DPV
If someone gave me Di2 for free, I'll happily join the cult. Until then, I'm too poor to have an engine move my chain for me...

+1 to the idea of using DA7900 hardware with U Di2 FD/RD... read on Velonews that this was recommended- practically cancels the weight penalty of not getting DA Di2, and for a fraction of the cost...
It's not an engine it's a motor.
Old 08-17-11, 10:34 PM
travkat
Go as fast as you can

Bikes: Ritte Bosberg with SRAM Red and Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about the environmental concerns? Don't get me wrong, I am a huge tech person and always want the latest and greatest new gadget. However, I remain cautious about things like e readers and electronic shifting of bicycles and other technologies of a similar vein. The environmental cost of mining for the metals used in batteries, let alone the sheer volume of e waste already affecting the world is staggering. It is so bad that in the US companies actually smuggle e waste out of the US and send it to poor countries to be stripped of its metals, as its a cheaper way to do business, rather than being responsible. My point being that I try to pick and choose my battles with regard to new tech. But batteries are going to be a large problem as even the best wear out within 3-5 years.
I would wager that a lot of us on the forum don't really recognize the impact that some of the coolest stuff out there has now or will have in the future.

And just to be clear, I used to work in shops and wrench on bikes, I have ridden the DI2 and liked it, but not enough to justify the cost monetarily, nor the cost environmentally of adding yet another chunk of electronic stuff into my life...
Old 08-18-11, 07:54 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Liked 246 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by shokhead
Seen that. I'm looking to see user reports of the Ultegra version. Right now, there's something like less than 10 sets in the US.

J.
Old 08-18-11, 08:00 AM
shokhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seen that. I'm looking to see user reports of the Ultegra version. Right now, there's something like less than 10 sets in the US.

J.
Then with only 10 sets in the US it might be a tad of a problem getting real reviews, don't ya think?
Old 08-18-11, 08:33 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by shokhead
Then with only 10 sets in the US it might be a tad of a problem getting real reviews, don't ya think?
You'll be able to order it and buy it pretty quickly. I believe Trek and some other major mfgs will be offering Ultegra DI2 based bikes shortly. Obviously it's not possible to buy one right now, today.

j.
Old 08-18-11, 09:47 AM
shokhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
John 180 was wanting user reports, not buying info I think.
Old 08-18-11, 09:56 AM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
[QUOTE=DonDenver;13091154]Use the electronic DTrain of the new U Di2 (and superior to that of DA Di2) along with mech 7900 brake and crank. Some nice performance with that combo.

The Ultegra Di2 is a new color -- a drank grey/black. The Dura Ace cranks and brakes are not the same color. So, if you are anal about things matching, then they won't, but it seems the parts might look ok.
Old 08-18-11, 10:01 AM
Digitalfiend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travkat
And just to be clear, I used to work in shops and wrench on bikes, I have ridden the DI2 and liked it, but not enough to justify the cost monetarily, nor the cost environmentally of adding yet another chunk of electronic stuff into my life...
The Di2 battery is supposed to last 300 charges and if we assume that someone recharges their battery every 500 miles (even though the battery goes a LOT longer than that) then we have 150,000 miles. If you're riding 150K miles in 3-5 years, firstly power to you, and secondly the number of tires, lube, clothing, and other components you're going through likely far outweighs the environmental impact of a single battery. Also, aren't lithium ion batteries recyclable?
Old 08-18-11, 10:41 AM
JohnJ80

FWIW, Li-ion batteries also die from old age not just charge cycles. 3-5 years is a good estimate. I'm not going to lose much sleep worrying about the hazards of Li-ion batteries either. This is a very promising technology that is just about to go mainstream from what I can tell.

J.
Old 08-18-11, 07:18 PM
boostbutt

Bikes: Parlee Z3 / CiOCC Mockba 80 (SS)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP here......

I have given up on Ultegra Di2 because....the FD and RD really looks chunky! + I'm gonna be spending even more! + I can't wait! + "Dura Ace" just sounds better! .... I have some free time so I installed it myself!

You can check pics here

And the build (short!) process here

Last edited by boostbutt; 08-18-11 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-19-11, 08:20 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by boostbutt
OP here......

I have given up on Ultegra Di2 because....the FD and RD really looks chunky! + I'm gonna be spending even more! + I can't wait! + "Dura Ace" just sounds better! .... I have some free time so I installed it myself!

You can check pics here

And the build (short!) process here
That is one of the issues that I see with it right now. Normally Shimano stuff has the esthetics well under control. This looks a bit off.

J.
Old 08-19-11, 12:18 PM
DonDenver
downhill quickly

Bikes: SWorks Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metalheart44

The Ultegra Di2 is a new color -- a drank grey/black. The Dura Ace cranks and brakes are not the same color. So, if you are anal about things matching, then they won't, but it seems the parts might look ok.
That is one of the issues that I see with it right now. Normally Shimano stuff has the esthetics well under control. This looks a bit off.

J.
Yes guys; both valid points.

I guess I've gotten to the point that since I'm not looking at it when I ride I don't care. If I can "feel" the performance gain (e.g., shifting under load in the mountains out here) and realize a price advantage combining the electronic and mech, that for me trumps style points. Although it would be nice if it was all sleek in form as well as color matched somewhat between Ult and DA in this case.

Always a compromise, right?!
Old 08-19-11, 12:35 PM
JohnJ80

Yes, concur. After I posted, I looked at some more on line articles that are more current.

According to this article:
https://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...ace-di2_187814

it performs very well. Too, the weight differential is explained better and isn't as dramatic as previously thought (at least as I thought). The weight penalty of about a pound for for the entire Ultegra DI2 group (cranks etc...) against the entire DA DI2 group. The weight penalty from Ultegra not DI2 to Ultegra DI2 is only about 80g more - not a big deal and about what DA to DA DI2 was (60g).

Also, in the pictures on these bikes, it's doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. Not going to be a huge deal, I think. Somewhat clunkier but not as bad as I thought.

J.
Old 08-19-11, 02:51 PM
Ron Harry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not about to buy one of them danged nabbid horseless carriages. They are noisy and stink up the place. My horse and buggy does just fine. It's all a flash in the pan don't you see.
Old 08-20-11, 03:41 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
The Di2 battery is supposed to last 300 charges and if we assume that someone recharges their battery every 500 miles (even though the battery goes a LOT longer than that) then we have 150,000 miles.
I ride about 12K miles annually, so that's 12 years of riding for me. I'm confident the batteries will outlast your desire to have that stuff on your bike for that long. By the time the battery wears out we'll all be riding George Jetson flying hover bicycles.