Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Concussion recovery

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Concussion recovery

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 07:39 AM
LS2379
Gunnery Sergeant USMC

Bikes: Cannondale SystemSix, Specialized FSR XC Pro, Fuji Cross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'm just going to have to slow down for awhile and maybe start talking to my doctor more.
Old 08-22-11, 08:07 AM
Jakedatc

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
for what it's worth. Our concussion protocol is no physical activity until 1 week after symptoms have subsided. Then we make them pass a cognitive exam twice compared to their baseline test. only then can they start beginning to do light activity with gradual increases up to normal activity. Any return of symptoms during activity drops it back down to limited activity.

computer work, texting, physical activity etc will all increase the time of recovery.

if math is important to your job then you should probably not screw with your brain huh? relax and heal

still think it's stupid that people have no problem resting a sore knee but their brain is damaged and want to tough it out...
Old 08-22-11, 08:31 AM
Willks

Bikes: 2014 Calfee Manta Pro, 2014 Specialized Starburst CruX, 2012 Cannondale CAADX, 2007 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LS2379 - There is some sound advice in this thread. Listen to those who know! I don't have much to add except a dear friend of mine suffered multiple concussions and did not allow herself to fully rest and recover; mainly due to the lack of education and general knowledge about mTBI's and second impact syndrome at the time.

She now suffers from prolonged post-concussion syndrome (PPCS). This upcoming January will mark 2 years of her dealing with all your common symptoms such as noise sensitivity, problems with concentration and memory, irritability, depression, anxiety, fatigue, nausea, drowsiness, headaches, and dizziness.

I'm doing a 24 hour 255 mile fundraising ride for her this fall so that she can receive more treatment. Check out the link in my signature and read what she's been through. Concussions are no joke!
Old 08-22-11, 05:30 PM
LS2379
Gunnery Sergeant USMC

Bikes: Cannondale SystemSix, Specialized FSR XC Pro, Fuji Cross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dkozikowski, thanks for the link. This is the first concussion I've had in the last 30 years or so. I had never thought much about them before, as all happen while I was in the Marines and back then you just toughed everything out. This one has been a wake up experience as I figured what the heck and just went about doing what I usually do but was not recovering. I will read and head.
Old 08-22-11, 06:36 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
with all due respect (i mean this), being a Marine does not have to equate with being medically ignorant and stubborn. Get yourself checked out brother! Concussions are not a symptom of age so it isn't like seeking medical attention is a sign of aging (its just smart).

As for expectations, they vary widely. My worst (and BTW, I also grew up "rodeo tough") was about 4 yrs ago. It took months for the haze to lift and for a good 2 months I would read a page in a book and immediately forget most all of it. The headaches and general malaise seriously lasted about 3-4months and I actually have a lasting mental deficit to this day. I went from high functioning and multilingual to really struggling to maintain focus and think critically. You start to compensate and forget deficits but if you can avoid them in the first place with appropriate medical attention and recuperation you are FAR BETTER off...

G'luck!
Old 08-22-11, 08:02 PM
triggerracing
The Mississippi Flash

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock MB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now ya'll know why Marines are known as "Jarheads" lol j/k
Old 08-23-11, 06:00 AM
Biggziff
not as fat as I was

Bikes: Trek 7000, Trek 5500, Fuji Newest 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A guy here at work had a get-off on his bike a few years ago. He had a helmet on, but did hit his head, but felt OK after a bit and went on his way. A few days later he was reffing a soccer game and collapsed. He was rushed to the hospital where they discovered he had been bleeding inside his skull which created pressure and caused him to nearly die. The recovery from the second part took months. Get thee to a hospital/medic ASAP.
Old 08-23-11, 06:14 AM
JimrB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It took me months to get my short term memory back after I knocked myself out. Some folks never truly recover from TBI. One woman I met had over 40 surgeries trying to deal with shunts, fluid and problems. Do a Google or Bing search on TBI or visit the doctor.