Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

The USA Pro Cycling Challenge Thread

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

The USA Pro Cycling Challenge Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11, 03:14 PM
wxduff

Bikes: 08 Cannondale CAAD 9 upgraded to ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong
Wow...the TV feed is awful! Makes me appreciate the job the French do.
This stuff is a luxury compared to the Tour of Utah, however I agree, the french do an awesome job.
Old 08-24-11, 03:15 PM
Right Said Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong
Wow...the TV feed is awful! Makes me appreciate the job the French do.
+1. Ice or not today, the video feed was terrible yesterday too on a clear blue day.
Old 08-24-11, 03:18 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Very. This is quite crappy.
Old 08-24-11, 03:50 PM
miwoodar
Fast for a sloth

Bikes: Some

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WTF. Seriously? What transpired during the lost feed? How did Leip not make it to the finish line with the lead group?
Old 08-24-11, 03:55 PM
cmh

Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by miwoodar
WTF. Seriously? What transpired during the lost feed? How did Leip not make it to the finish line with the lead group?
I was wondering that myself - no information on cyclingnews or velonews. Did the lead group jump away on the descent? Was there a crash?
Old 08-24-11, 04:12 PM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the looks of the stage results I'd say the leaders were marking each other and one of my favorite riders took the win.
Old 08-24-11, 05:58 PM
reshp1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From TeeJay and George's interviews, it sounded like a couple, presumably non-GC contenders, opened a gap, then George chased on and helped. Teejay and Tommy D found a way to bridge the gap later. Not sure why Levi, Cadel, Christian, etc weren't able to make it across too, whether it was the technical descent, or if the other guys were just drilling it.
Old 08-24-11, 06:24 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
They got some real TV transmission problems with this, and despite all the hype, it's being also buried into the 11pm spot on Versus. I really hope it works out, but I think they also have sponsorship problems that's going to make it hard to maintain this type of field year in and year out.
Old 08-24-11, 07:04 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not surprised that Levi lost time on the descent. I've never considered him a good descender, and in the wet descending skills play a bigger role than when it's bone dry.

However, everyone knows that Levi is good in the time trial, so the race is definitely not over for him. I will say that many of the top GC guys are also good time trialers, so it should be a pretty interesting battle.
Old 08-24-11, 08:08 PM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stupid crappy transmission. Ok so the plane had ice on it, I guess they never thought that would happen at 12000+ ft where it's flying? It annoys me that they spend so much money on promoting this yet they don't have a contingency plan for this in the "queen stage", as they call it.

Interesting to see the Top 5 GC are all US riders.

The Callegarin crash was nasty. Concussion, losing teeth, facial lacerations (possibly needing plastic reconstruction), two broken hands (one needing surgery)... poor guy. I saw a shot of a smashed up wheel during the coverage but not the actual crash.
Old 08-25-11, 04:45 AM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
I'll have my chair placed along the TT course by 0800 this morning and will have some photos by the end of the day. It's going to be a good one. At least at this rate, Cadel and Levi will be burning it up.
Old 08-25-11, 08:18 AM
reshp1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ITT is going to be awesome. I've driven there often and it's a bit of an optical illusion where the road is steeper than it looks. I think there will be a couple implosions today as riders misjudge their effort.

Looking at the rest of the route, I really wish they would have worked in some summit finishes. A ride up Mt Evans for the finish would be unreal.
Old 08-25-11, 08:47 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
They got some real TV transmission problems with this, and despite all the hype, it's being also buried into the 11pm spot on Versus. I really hope it works out, but I think they also have sponsorship problems that's going to make it hard to maintain this type of field year in and year out.
Just as long as it comes back next year when I have vacation time. At least I will make stage 5.
Old 08-25-11, 09:31 AM
yellowjeep

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Really excited to see what Tejay can do in the TT to day. Also excited to see what bikes they bust out for it. This week has been awesome between the this race and the Vuelta.
Old 08-25-11, 09:45 AM
AltheCyclist

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hate those cattleguards .. did anyone see which one they hit? Usually there is a gap to sneak around them for this reason... or bunny-hop them if you're going fast enough...
Old 08-25-11, 09:53 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My friends who live in your area took me down the poudre canyon from rist earlier this year. Flying over cattle guards at 40 mph is not my idea of fun. I started slowing down after the first one and was dropped quite fast.
Old 08-25-11, 11:12 AM
AltheCyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
My friends who live in your area took me down the poudre canyon from rist earlier this year. Flying over cattle guards at 40 mph is not my idea of fun. I started slowing down after the first one and was dropped quite fast.
Yeah, they suck.. I bunny hop them if they're small. But, usually, there's open fence path around the guard, and it's pretty easy to avoid them (the part that sucks is you have to slow down so you can make the turn).
I wonder if the one that Callegarin hit had the route around? Anyway, they should have covered it for the race.
Old 08-25-11, 11:27 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What would they cover it with?
Old 08-25-11, 12:03 PM
AltheCyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DXchulo
What would they cover it with?
A blanket? Kidding, of course, even some wood sheeting would be an improvement, that would make it so much safer..
Old 08-25-11, 01:14 PM
Pistard

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try to watch it, nearly impossible, like amateur hour on VS....
Old 08-25-11, 01:19 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
New drinking game...take a shot every time you hear "We apologize for the picture" or something similar.
Old 08-25-11, 04:42 PM
wxduff

Bikes: 08 Cannondale CAAD 9 upgraded to ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what you could see today, the time trial was certainly exciting! Picture issues were still there. But you saw enough to get what you needed. Awesome rides by CV and Levi. TJ was a bit to upset for my liking. I'm not a big fan of whiners and he looked a little too upset today.
Old 08-25-11, 06:34 PM
Hezz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LemondFanForeve
Yeah, whats the story on him? had a heap of praise put on him, then he seemed to disappoint everyone, when he didnt win 8-9 tdf titles......Seems like a lot more hype, then greatness?
CVV would have likely taken 2nd or 3rd place in the 2008 TDF if not for an unlucky crash on a descent in the last mountain stage of the race. He still ended up in 5th place. 4th if you count the 3rd place finisher disqualification. Since then he has had high expectations placed on him as one with the potential to be in the top three of the TDF but nothing has come of his career since then but extreme bad luck and lots of crashes and broken bones. He almost quit cycling and for two years or so he had such bad luck he never finished any race he entered without crashing out. The last year is the first time in a while that he has even made it though the season with only minor injuries.
Old 08-25-11, 06:51 PM
Hezz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kind of Blued
It's 10 miles, not five, although the first half isn't very steep.

I don't see anybody beating Levi unless he has bad luck. Cadel, Van Garderen, Danielson, and Sutherland are the best placed to beat him right now, and he dropped every one of them today. All he has to do now is ride like he did on the final stage in Utah, and he's in an even better spot than that now. As far as I can remember, I haven't seen anybody drop Levi all year, and I've seen him drop Cadel, the Schlecks, Cunego, Vandevelde, and probably a few others.

Can wait to watch the Vail TT in person. I just realized that six of the top seven from the 1.25 mile uphill TT in Utah last week finished in the top 10 on today's stage, those being Henao, Sevilla, Leipheimer, Danielson, Van Garderen, and Vandevelde. It'll be interesting to see how the guys who weren't in Utah work into the results.

I think you are correct. I was thinking about 5 miles because I saw the stage information listed on the Tour Tracker website list the race as being 10.xx km but based on the race times it must have been about 10 miles. These media guys are always confusing kilometers and miles. The feeling I get from the guys trying to watch on the Tour Tracker is that there are tons of errors and bad video. I usually find this to be the case but I guess it's better than nothing as long as we don't put to much faith in it's accuracy.

I was a litttle surprised by Henao's poor showing in this stage. I knew that he was not good at the ITT but I thought that in this circumstance he would do better.
Old 08-25-11, 07:01 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
If this race is to have a future, the coverage has got to get better. As it is now, it is nearly unwatchable for TV viewers. You would think that after a couple of days into it, they would have gotten it together.

And what a shame, the scenery is simply beautiful and the crowds are huge and really into it. Cmon Versus, get it together!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.