Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Some compelling reasons to ignore generic carbon frames

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Some compelling reasons to ignore generic carbon frames

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-11, 08:11 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
Yeah, but you or your heirs have some well-known brand to hold responsible in a court of law if disaster were to happen. Try suing some "generic Chinese manufacturer" for remedy.
This is why I only buy brand name products, just so I can sue somebody! Hah!
Old 09-03-11, 08:13 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Nobody has touched on a crucial point here: just because a no-name generic Chinese CF frame doesn't detonate under your Fredly ass @ 40 mph, that doesn't mean that it's providing you the the kind of performance you want out of your CF bike. I can buy a Scott, Cervelo or Trek with Ultegra for $3500 or less. I know what I'm getting. How much less will the no-name bike cost? $1000? Would I rather spend $3000-$3500 and get the assurance that the bike has been made right and will perform, or save a grand and not be sure?

I know what works for me. It's your dough weenies. All I know is when I think of second rate Chinese imports I think of all those homes in the USA (many in Florida) that are now total losses due to all the toxic Chinese sheetrock that was used in building them a few years back. Good grief.

.... and I'd certainly rather spend that extra $1000 on a Scott, Specialized, Cannondale, or the like, instead of medical bills or my Blue Cross deductable.
Old 09-03-11, 08:17 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UberGeek
Actually, they don't:

https://www.trekbikes.com/pdf/owners_...OM_english.pdf

Read the "Warranty":
"Trek Bicycle Corporation
is not responsible for incidental or
consequential damages."

This is standard is pretty much all warranties, so you can't sue for catastrophic failure of your bicycle. Even if you live in a state which precludes limited warranties, then this part comes into play:

"This warranty is void in its entirety
by any modification of the frame, fork,
or component"

Replaced a chain? Chain ring? Guess what? You're SOL.

That disclaimer is indeed in almost every warranty. We probably file breach of warranty suites 20 times a year. That crap language won't stop them from getting sued.
Old 09-03-11, 08:22 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by nyxis
reputable name brand non-existant carbon failures.. https://www.bustedcarbon.com/
Just out of curiousity, is there a similar site around for broken or bent aluminum frames?
Old 09-03-11, 08:22 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Your new.
Believe me when I say pcad's continual posting to pcad gets old....very, very old.
I'm very old. What's your point?
Old 09-03-11, 08:23 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

I'm very old. What's your point?
He never has a point.
Old 09-03-11, 08:23 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

He never has a point.
He fits right in here.
Old 09-03-11, 08:31 PM
UberGeek

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rangerdavid
That disclaimer is indeed in almost every warranty. We probably file breach of warranty suites 20 times a year. That crap language won't stop them from getting sued.
And that "crap language" will surely make the suit very expensive for the person bringing it... In fact, prohibitively expensive for most anyone.

Because the person bringing the suit must prove:
* The bicycle had a defect
* The defect is what caused the injury
* The bicycle had 0 modifications. Remember, all bets are off if you do after-market add-ons, because they could have caused it.

So, go ahead, and try. See how far the suit against Toyota went for their gas pedals.
Old 09-03-11, 10:07 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
And that "crap language" will surely make the suit very expensive for the person bringing it... In fact, prohibitively expensive for most anyone.

Because the person bringing the suit must prove:
* The bicycle had a defect
* The defect is what caused the injury
* The bicycle had 0 modifications. Remember, all bets are off if you do after-market add-ons, because they could have caused it.

So, go ahead, and try. See how far the suit against Toyota went for their gas pedals.
Toyota settled some of those lawsuits, and you can bet your sweet beepy they are working on settling the other lawsuits.
Old 09-03-11, 10:16 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
This is why I only buy brand name products, just so I can sue somebody! Hah!
Come on, act a little bit intelligent. A brand name product probably has a reputation it has built up, and of course, they really don't want their name attached to a product failure kinda lawsuit, thus they try harder. You really think the guys salvaging cooking oil from sewers to use in making your chinese food products care about their "brand reputation"? Or the guy who is selling poisonous dry wall? I can assure you though, that US Gypsum is definitely gonna test their dry wall extensively to ascertain that it is not gonna poison homeowners.

The mention of a lawsuit is not b/cos I like lawsuits, (as a matter of fact, I think the USA having too many aggressive product liability lawyers is a detriment to the country actually achieving its true potential, but I digress) but it keeps people who manufacture and sell branded products here on their toes as a kind of check and balances.

I do not lump Pedalforce with the chinese "huckster" crowd, but the generic e-Bay guy, well, I think I'll pass, thank you.

Last edited by Jed19; 09-03-11 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 10:23 PM
nyxis
nil

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1 Team

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Toyota settled some of those lawsuits, and you can bet your sweet beepy they are working on settling the other lawsuits.
toyota was found not at fault for the accelerator issue so i doubt they will be settling anything..
Old 09-03-11, 10:26 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
toyota was found not at fault for the accelerator issue so i doubt they will be settling anything..
You are wrong! Toyota settled the Lexus California Highway Patrol officer lawsuit. That is the guy who perished with some members of his family b/cos he could not get his Lexus to stop.

Look it up.
Old 09-03-11, 10:29 PM
nyxis
nil

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1 Team

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are wrong! Toyota settled the Lexus California Highway Patrol officer lawsuit. That is the guy who perished with some members of his family b/cos he could not get his Lexus to stop.

Look it up.
okay did..

https://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...n7329588.shtml
Old 09-03-11, 10:41 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
It said electronics was ruled out as the cause of the problem. It did not say Toyota is not responsible for floor mats getting stuck or other mechanical issue(s).

Read it again.
Old 09-03-11, 10:43 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markrj
pcad you crack me up.
Don't feed the wildlife.
Old 09-03-11, 10:44 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
You can tell that guy is an engineer by his "you don't know" answer.
As an engineer myself I would say that by the amount of times he said I don't know he's bordering on being an outright scientist, maybe even a physicist. Us engineers prefer "it depends."
Old 09-03-11, 11:08 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Come on, act a little bit intelligent. A brand name product probably has a reputation it has built up, and of course, they really don't want their name attached to a product failure kinda lawsuit, thus they try harder. You really think the guys salvaging cooking oil from sewers to use in making your chinese food products care about their "brand reputation"? Or the guy who is selling poisonous dry wall? I can assure you though, that US Gypsum is definitely gonna test their dry wall extensively to ascertain that it is not gonna poison homeowners.

The mention of a lawsuit is not b/cos I like lawsuits, (as a matter of fact, I think the USA having too many aggressive product liability lawyers is a detriment to the country actually achieving its true potential, but I digress) but it keeps people who manufacture and sell branded products here on their toes as a kind of check and balances.

I do not lump Pedalforce with the chinese "huckster" crowd, but the generic e-Bay guy, well, I think I'll pass, thank you.
I like the way you insult someone you do not know on the internet and assume they have a point of view different from yours. Dude, you take these discussions way too seriously. Nobody really gives a rat's ass about how you want to spend your money and which or what product you want to buy and however the hell you feel about China and their practices. Know that people will disagree with you and some will not be swayed by whatever spews out of your keyboard...those with real intelligence will make up their own minds according to each of his or her own values...not yours.

Last edited by tagaproject6; 09-03-11 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 11:11 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Actually, they don't:

Read the "Warranty":
consequential damages."

This is standard is pretty much all warranties, so you can't sue for catastrophic failure of your bicycle. Even if you live in a state which precludes limited warranties, then this part comes into play:

or component"

Standard boiler plate stuff. There are lawyers on retainership who make a living writing that stuff for all kinda businesses.

Last edited by Jed19; 09-03-11 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 11:14 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
I like the way you insult someone you do not know on the internet and assume they have a point of view different from yours. Dude, you take these discussions way too seriously. Nobody really gives a rat's ass about how you want to spend your money and which or what product you want to buy and however the hell you feel about China and their practices. Know that people will disagree with you and some will not be swayed by whatever spews out of your keyboard...those with real intelligence will make up their own minds according to each of his or her own values...not yours.
I did not intend to insult you and I am sorry you feel that way.

I do think you took a cheap shot with your original comment about how you only buy brand ed products so you can sue somebody.
Old 09-03-11, 11:26 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a set of unbranded, chineese, carbon handlebars that I got for $60 off ebay. I have 2500+ miles on them. Maybe I just got lucky and got a good pair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SAM_0136.jpg (97.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-03-11, 11:28 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
'It would be wise for everyone to be sure to differentiate between Taiwan and China when they refer to the origins of these products. They are two entirely different countries, and the Taiwanese rarely, if ever, want to be associated with China.

I would suggest that Taiwan is way ahead on the quality control aspect, and its factories certainly do mould and produce product for major brands. My "cheap" CF and Ti components are Taiwan-manufactured, which gives me a bit of a headstart over the Chinese generic stuff.
Old 09-03-11, 11:37 PM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two Cannondale road bikes, one Klein road bike and a generic TT frameset. I'm big and slow on all of them. No breakages. I'm not afraid of my bike breaking, I'm more concerned with the motorist who's clueless about their surroundings driving down the bike lane while texting.
Old 09-03-11, 11:59 PM
Jazzy Hands

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, CAAD9, CAD R1000

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
going to part with what little knowledge I have on Chinese manufacturing...

What happens when a large company goes into China to produce something is that they give them a lot of raw materials, but a limited supply of something else. For example, lets say they are making frames, but they only have X number of part Y.

What happens at the end is that they produce X number of frames for the company and takes the leftover raw material to make more frames (without part Y) and adds a similar part Y onto it - these then get sold on the secondary market.

Basically, you get the exact same thing, but with a (usually lower quality) different part Y on the product.

If part Y was stickers, then you are good to go, but if it is something a little more important, then you have some risk.
Old 09-04-11, 12:17 AM
tagaproject6

I did not intend to insult you and I am sorry you feel that way.

I do think you took a cheap shot with your original comment about how you only buy brand ed products so you can sue somebody.
Again, internet...do not take it too seriously. You seem passionate about your belief, and writing words as if your truth should be the truth of everyone else, is foolhardy.
Old 09-04-11, 12:34 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Actually, they don't:

Read the "Warranty":
consequential damages."

or component"

Actually, they do, depending on which part of the world in which you live.

Here in Australia, a milllion-dollar-plus lawsuit was started earlier this year against a bike brand and an importer over a broken fork that left the rider with injuries that were serious and long-term. The brand is reputable, and the material of the fork was not mentioned in the the news coverage of the opening court proceedings.

Companies might hide behind waivers in their warranties, but they reallly aren't worth much when it comes to a court action. Defence itself, let alone the damage to a company's reputation can cause far more financial damage than the final settlement. Hence, there are more out-of-court and confidential settlements in all spheres than make the media.

Negligence is virtually indeensible, but there are degrees of negligence, and it takes a well-founded and researched action to follow the processes and to find a hole in them -- such as failure to test to destruction with documentation.

The ultimate defence, of course, is that the user's treatment of the equipment led to the failure, but even this might be arguable. Hence all those little stickers on "MTB" bikes even in bike shops that these bikes aren't designed for off-road use, and the handbooks that comprise 10 pages of instruction and 30 on what not to do.

Here in Australia, a business cannot go into business without a decent decent liability and indemnity policy. It's one of the heavy costs of doing business which the eBay and other internet vendors based in China, Vietnam and Malaysia don't have to carry. It's the one sympathy I do have for LBS operators.

All this hand-wringing over carbon fibre is well and good, but how many people who order a steel frame from a custom builder demand to see the test-to-destruction results for their products before spending their bucks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.