Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Forty plus years old, thirty in storage.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Forty plus years old, thirty in storage.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 08:55 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Liked 274 Times in 222 Posts
Congrats on getting back on them. I've bought several "used" bikes from people just like you that never rode them and they weren't ever going to though, and I got essentially new bikes for cheap. Those bikes you have look fantastic, and they are rare, I can't even remember when the last time I saw one and I'm 58!

I hope you replaced the tires and tubes before you rode them. I wouldn't be afraid to ride one, they were very dependable bikes.

Ride with pride.
Old 08-13-11, 09:44 AM
duceditor
Oldie but Newbie

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sprite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata

I hope you replaced the tires and tubes before you rode them. I wouldn't be afraid to ride one, they were very dependable bikes.
I expected to on both. Had to on my wives as the gum-sidewalled tires had cracked and split. On mine I was told by the techs (and owner) of my local bike shop that it was unnecessary. The tech owns a bike of similar vintage (but much higher mileage) that still has the original tubes and tires. He rides it daily. Apparently these early nylon Dunlops are "forever." It took me more than a couple of rides (and hard hit roots) before I trusted therm fully but I do now.

Interestingly, as I mentioned on another thread, I grew up with bikes of this type. Lived on 'em as kids in surburbia did back in the late `50s and very early `60s. I never experienced a flat and I never replaced a tire. How is that possible? I dunno. But it wasn't a fluke because none of my pals did either that I remember.

Oh, and my bike -- a late `50s Rudge -- moved with my folks to their retirement home in FL. They never had a flat or replaced a tire either. Probably some retiree in their condo (mom and dad passed on some years back) are still riding that bike and my ex-girlfriend's whose bike also went with them. (They paid her $25 for it as I remember)

"Raleigh - The All-Steel Bicycle" Tires too no doubt.

-don
Old 08-13-11, 10:34 AM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Great story Don and what a sweet pair of matching Raleighs. Though not the original owner, I was able to grab a matching pair of Raleigh Sports several years ago; found them on Craigslist. Same color as your Sprites and had original Brooks B72 saddles with vinyl saddle bags attached. previous owners kept the pair well maintaained so all I needed to do was clean them up a bit. I've since replaced the vinyl saddle bag on my bike with a Carradice Barley bag.

as found:

mine today:

Old 08-13-11, 10:51 AM
duceditor
Oldie but Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're beauts!

-don
Old 08-13-11, 11:32 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by duceditor
I expected to on both. Had to on my wives as the gum-sidewalled tires had cracked and split. On mine I was told by the techs (and owner) of my local bike shop that it was unnecessary. The tech owns a bike of similar vintage (but much higher mileage) that still has the original tubes and tires. He rides it daily. Apparently these early nylon Dunlops are "forever." It took me more than a couple of rides (and hard hit roots) before I trusted therm fully but I do now.

Interestingly, as I mentioned on another thread, I grew up with bikes of this type. Lived on 'em as kids in surburbia did back in the late `50s and very early `60s. I never experienced a flat and I never replaced a tire. How is that possible? I dunno. But it wasn't a fluke because none of my pals did either that I remember.
In the late 50's and into the 60's I got flats but not many, the difference in tires back then I think was that they were heavy as heck mostly due to the rubber was at least a 1/4 of inch thick! I had slicks on a BMX that were 1/2 inch thick! I could skid the crap out them!! Nowadays they make tires for bikes like yours about an 1/8th inch thick to make them lighter, cheaper, and to wear out faster. Also the tubes we had were as thick, if not thicker, then the thick puncture resistant tubes of today! So combine the thicker tube with thick rubber and your pretty safe from punctures.

I was rough on my bikes so I did get a few flats and wore out tires fast or simply destroyed them.

By the way, I bought a 250 mile used 88 Miyata 712 about 5 years ago that had the original tires barely used, the nubs were still showing, and the sidewalls were all cracked and blew when pressure was introduced. But then a few months ago I bought a even lighter used (5 miles) 84 Fuji Club with the original tires and the sidewalls on it are great, no cracks or anything suggesting age, and I've been riding on them. Not sure why one set was cracked and the other not.
Old 08-13-11, 12:19 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Liked 1,789 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by Sigurdd50
The kids rode them around they were eventually swallowed by the community.
There's a community of child-eating cannibals in Madison!?!?!?!?

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
By the way, I bought a 250 mile used 88 Miyata 712 about 5 years ago that had the original tires barely used, the nubs were still showing, and the sidewalls were all cracked and blew when pressure was introduced. But then a few months ago I bought a even lighter used (5 miles) 84 Fuji Club with the original tires and the sidewalls on it are great, no cracks or anything suggesting age, and I've been riding on them. Not sure why one set was cracked and the other not.
I've heard ozone is the culprit- if the tires are near electric motors- that can cause higher ozone levels which crack the tires. Just what I've heard...

According to Wikipedia it's true...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone

Ozone gas attacks any polymer possessing olefinic or double bonds within its chain structure, such as natural rubber, nitrile rubber, and styrene-butadiene rubber. Products made using these polymers are especially susceptible to attack, which causes cracks to grow longer and deeper with time, the rate of crack growth depending on the load carried by the product and the concentration of ozone in the atmosphere. Such materials can be protected by adding antiozonants, such as waxes, which bond to the surface to create a protective film or blend with the material and provide long term protection. Ozone cracking used to be a serious problem in car tires for example, but the problem is now seen only in very old tires. On the other hand, many critical products like gaskets and O-rings may be attacked by ozone produced within compressed air systems. Fuel lines are often made from reinforced rubber tubing and may also be susceptible to attack, especially within engine compartments where low levels of ozone are produced from electrical equipment. Storing rubber products in close proximity to DC electric motors can accelerate the rate at which ozone cracking occurs. The commutator of the motor creates sparks which in turn produce ozone.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-13-11, 01:52 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I've heard ozone is the culprit- if the tires are near electric motors- that can cause higher ozone levels which crack the tires. Just what I've heard...

According to Wikipedia it's true...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone
Interesting; I don't have a clue as too whether or not motors were near any of these. I know the tires that lasted was stored in the attic and the tires that didn't last was stored in a garage. I would have thought the heat then cold of an attic would have destroyed the tires...but I thought wrong!!
Old 08-13-11, 02:01 PM
duceditor
Oldie but Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine were stored in sheds with some slated sides, soil floors and no electricity. Pretty much in a state of nature. Yet the gum ones were totally gonzo and the others near perfect.

Such are the vagaries of life.

(Or the gods chew gum)

-don
Old 08-13-11, 02:40 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by duceditor
Mine were stored in sheds with some slated sides, soil floors and no electricity. Pretty much in a state of nature. Yet the gum ones were totally gonzo and the others near perfect.

Such are the vagaries of life.

(Or the gods chew gum)

-don
I think your on to something, the gods do chew gum!
Old 08-13-11, 03:03 PM
ecsjr

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
No way, ducati's and Raleigh Sprites...you must be my long lost twin!

2001 748 here as well as the two Sprites.

Ed
Old 08-13-11, 05:42 PM
duceditor
Oldie but Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ecsjr
No way, ducati's and Raleigh Sprites...you must be my long lost twin!

2001 748 here as well as the two Sprites.

Ed

Where do you hail from Ed?

`93 900SS and 2007 GT1000 plus two Sprites.

-don
Old 08-31-11, 04:52 AM
chris j wilson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noticed your Avatar, s it possible you might have copy electronically for my 1937 Carlton Flyer Track bike
Thanks
Chris
Old 09-06-11, 07:23 AM
ecsjr

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
In Chicago Don,

But only one Ducati, 748. The other motorcycle is a HD.