Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin 500 Speed Sensor Problem

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 04:25 PM
gazelle5333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just picked up the 500 last week and after the shop put it on and I got it home (i had dad pick it up since he was working closer to the shop than me) and the magnet rubbed on the chainstays. I tried adjusting the magnet up and down the spokes and putting the magnet on the opposite spoke, but either it doesn't pick up the signal or it rubs the stays. Any ideas until I can get it back into the shop to have them look at it?
Old 09-07-11, 04:26 PM
Elvo

Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Are you running a tri/TT bike? Try placing the magnet closer to the hub where the stays are wider.
Old 09-07-11, 04:29 PM
gazelle5333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope...09 Tarmac Expert. Keep in mind that the cadence also needs to be picked up by the sensor
Old 09-07-11, 04:37 PM
Elvo

Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
You can also adjust the speed sensor by loosening the screw on it. And you probably don't need the sensor unless you're on the trainer.
Old 09-07-11, 05:10 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by **********
You can also adjust the speed sensor by loosening the screw on it. And you probably don't need the sensor unless you're on the trainer.
And if that fails, replace the battery with a fresh one.
Old 09-07-11, 05:57 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have a 2011 Tarmac Expert, no issues as at all... and in my experience, you DO need the speed sensor to use the cadence sensor. My speed sensor went out and it would not revert to GPS for speed, it would actually assume I wasn't moving even though I had cadence. I had to turn the speed/cadence sensor off in settings until Garmin sent me a new cadence unit. Now all is well. But I could not get everything to work without the speed sensor...
Old 09-07-11, 06:42 PM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gazelle5333
Just picked up the 500 last week and after the shop put it on and I got it home (i had dad pick it up since he was working closer to the shop than me) and the magnet rubbed on the chainstays. I tried adjusting the magnet up and down the spokes and putting the magnet on the opposite spoke, but either it doesn't pick up the signal or it rubs the stays. Any ideas until I can get it back into the shop to have them look at it?
PIctures of the current setup? I'm having trouble visualizing how the magnet hits the stays
Old 09-07-11, 06:56 PM
Carloswithac
Certifiably crazy!

Bikes: Felt Z5, Edict 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hit the reset button on the transmitter and see if it starts working again.
Old 09-07-11, 08:36 PM
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by **********
You can also adjust the speed sensor by loosening the screw on it.
I'm not really visualizing what OP is describing. A picture would be helpful. Both of my sensors have been remarkably easy to install (and adjust). Lines to tell you exactly where to align everything.

Unless you've got the crank magnet in a weird place, everything ought to work without having to hold your tongue a certain way. Where is that crank magnet? Toward the end of the crank, or toward the middle?
Old 09-07-11, 09:34 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
??? You mean the "wheel magnet rubs the sensor arm" don't you? As someone said, there is a screw that allows movement of the sensor arm to take care of that.
Old 09-07-11, 11:27 PM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I'll take it as written and say your wheel magnet is hitting the chainstay and not the sensor arm, right? If the magnet on the opposite spoke is too far away (doesn't pick up signal), have you tried twisting the magnet around the spoke so it is "backwards"? In other words, the shiny part of the magnet is facing the drivetrain, opposite of photo.

Old 09-08-11, 07:34 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 769 Times in 396 Posts
I think the problem is still in the swing arm on the sensor. First, get the magnet to a place on the spokes where it doesn't rub on the chainstay. Then adjust the arm on the pickup so it's close enough to the magnet to pickup.

If you don't adjust the arm, it can be difficult to get both sensors to pickup and nothing scraping. That's why you can loosen that little screw and adjust the arm.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-08-11, 03:12 PM
gazelle5333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
??? You mean the "wheel magnet rubs the sensor arm" don't you?
NOPE...magnet on chainstays.

Finally found some time to take it into the shop today since I got out of work on time and didn't it traffic, and they had to replace the stock magnet with a low profile one. I would have wasted lots of valuable time trying to fix something even they couldn't
Old 09-08-11, 04:47 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Strangest problem I've read about in a while on here. I can't imagine any way a low profile magnet would be needed. I bet there are hundreds or even thousands of tarmacs out there with the GC-10 sensor working as-is.

I'd be great if you could post a picture of how they have that thing setup. Makes me wonder if its time for you to find a new shop, or if you have some sort of freakish bike.
Old 09-09-11, 02:00 PM
gazelle5333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I get a chance to I will
Old 09-09-11, 02:43 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I cant imagine how your spokes are that close to your chainstays.
I'm willing to bet your chainstays arent labeled "Fatties Fit Fine"
Old 09-09-11, 03:35 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX
Strangest problem I've read about in a while on here. I can't imagine any way a low profile magnet would be needed. I bet there are hundreds or even thousands of tarmacs out there with the GC-10 sensor working as-is.

I'd be great if you could post a picture of how they have that thing setup. Makes me wonder if its time for you to find a new shop, or if you have some sort of freakish bike.
This. Fit my Tarmac perfectly. Aside from the issue with the cadence/speed sensor issue, everything else took all of 5 minutes to install perfectly.