Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is the longest you have gone without a crash?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 03:12 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With all these threads popping up about crashing and a few local stories about people being hit by cars it has got me thinking if crashing/getting hit occurs normally.

I bought a hybrid in Feb and started riding. Sometime around March-April I almost got hit by a car that wasn't paying attention when it was turning. In May-June I was riding my Rockhopper and crashed scraping off a bunch of skin off my palms and knees. Took me 1-2 weeks to recover.

I finally picked up a Road Bike a few weeks ago. One of the biggest issue I'm facing is since it's practically 1/2 the weight of my Rockhopper it feels a lot faster. Since the seat is also higher I have less of a chance of being able to put my feet firmly on the ground if I need to stop quickly.
Old 09-07-11, 03:56 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Made it three years till an impatient driver decided to pass a cyclist going uphill around a blind turn as I came around going downhill. Don't plan on getting in an accident again for at least another three years...
Old 09-07-11, 03:58 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i was hit by a car while on my bike when I was 10
then I over cooked a corner going down Mt Diablo about 3 years ago
then this year i crashed twice - first race of the year....and last race of the year. I like bookends.
Old 09-07-11, 04:00 PM
duckracer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not saying a word!!!!...Don't want to Jinx myself!!!!
Old 09-07-11, 04:03 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,565 Times in 4,422 Posts
I just crashed 2 weeks ago.

My prior crash was like 20 years ago, unless you count falling over at 0 mph due to problems unclipping...I don't consider that a crash.

So 20 years, pretty good luck, eh?
Old 09-07-11, 04:03 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by duckracer
I am not saying a word!!!!...Don't want to Jinx myself!!!!
right....except by saying that you don't want to jinx yourself...you've already jinxed yourself
Old 09-07-11, 04:09 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,265 Times in 718 Posts
Rule #1 of Crash Club: You do not talk about Crash Club
Old 09-08-11, 07:12 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts
I went from about 1992 to about 2004? without crashing. I was doing up to 50-55 crits a year, lowest was 30-ish.

The first 5 years I raced (80s) I crashed every year in training, mainly because I went too hot into a turn. I found limits the hard way in the wet, dry, and with sand, all in the same turn (I did laps around the loop - the crashes happened at different times).

The next 5 years (until 1992 or so) I crashed regularly in races, usually once a year, in 1992 4 times in 5 weeks of racing plus an additional hit later in the year. I don't remember crashing because of my own error in races although I had a lot of close calls. The crashes that were significant (road rash) were mainly from people sliding under my wheels as they overcooked a turn. They'd take me out pretty much unexpectedly, I'd hit hard, slide. In the wet this happened often - I tried to stay near the front and guys charging up just before a turn would crash into me. I've also crashed when avoiding huge pile ups, i.e. run off the road, although I've usually stayed upright or landed on soft things.

The last three crashes all had fluke things.
1. I used the first version of the SPD-R road pedals. They required incredible amounts of force to unclip, at least when the pedals were new. I loosened my pedals to the point where I didn't have to hit my foot with my fist to unclip. I promptly unclipped in a race while sprinting out of a turn at 30-35 mph, fell hard. I tightened the pedals after that. Much later I flatted and needed two guys to help me unclip, which was kind of normal on those pedals. I was fortunate that both were RAAM champions, but that's a different story altogether). I now use Look Keos and they are easy to clip out of.

2. Guy intentionally swerved about 4-6 feet to the side just before a sprint. I broke (first broken bone ever) my pelvis in two places. Another guy broke 5 ribs. Lots of broken bikes and such. It was an ugly crash because the rider that caused it made a dangerous intentional move.

3. I was sprinting to close a gap to the next group, riding behind a teammate. I looked back to check for cars, he braked hard when he caught the group. I ran into him. Although I had road rash, I crashed on a Tuesday and raced a big crit the following Monday with absolutely no bandaids or wounds.

Road rash care is critical for quick recovery.

I think once I "learned how to ride" I rarely crashed. The unclip was my own fault for pushing limits of my equipment (and trying to make a poor design product work). The big crash normally never would have happened but the rider that caused it is known for making dangerous moves, just not so blatant. The last crash was clearly my mistake - I made an assumption we'd do a "fly by" of the group (who was plodding along at 15 mph) so I checked back to see if we were clear. Problem was my teammate slowed hard from 30 mph to 15 mph. My assumption put me on the deck.
Old 09-08-11, 08:06 AM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I crashed a motorcycle in 1983 but have been lucky on my bicycle sofar. I hope I haven't jinxed myself.
Old 09-08-11, 08:18 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
The longest? 35 years!

Then, it was 2 years until my next.
Old 09-08-11, 08:19 AM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you say the rain will hold out until after your ride, you are going to get wet. If you say the traffic is usually good at this time of day you are going to get stuck. I am no longer reading this thread.
Old 09-08-11, 08:22 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This freakin thread has jinxed us all....so I'm gonna run out and crash on purpose, so at least I have some control!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-08-11, 08:45 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I haven't crashed on the road in a really long time, as a kid. (I am also excluding a clipped-in tipover.)

I have minor offs every few sessions on technical singletrack on my MTB. I don't consider myself an expert rider by any means, but crashing singletrack just happens. Slow endos when I stall on a root or rut is the most common. I could go faster and crash more, and worse. I could probably reduce crashes by riding slower, too, but that makes it a little boring. I don't crash on open trail on a MTB.
Old 09-08-11, 09:08 AM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
18 months without so much as a clipless fall. 8000 miles. Riding in traffic constantly. Hills, flats, curves, canyons, Pacific Coast Highway on weekends, etc.

Then a 19-year old kid in an old Toyota truck with no insurance whatsoever right-hooks me at 20mph. Yeah, helmets rule. It's been a month now off the bike (totaled) and I'm up about 10 pounds and miss it horribly. Homeowners Insurance covers my bike(!) even if it wasn't in my house so I'm getting $2K to replace it and yep, just decided a couple days ago to come back to the sport. I miss it too much.

Hopefully can go another few years without a crash.
Old 09-08-11, 09:13 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't crashed since 2002. You learn things over the course of a few crashes. Enough to know how not to make the same mistakes again. That said, it's still possible to crash given the objective dangers of cycling such as other people and equipment failures.
Old 09-08-11, 11:02 AM
Willks

Bikes: 2014 Calfee Manta Pro, 2014 Specialized Starburst CruX, 2012 Cannondale CAADX, 2007 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
8 years. Broke my streak 2 weeks ago. Luckily the bike is fine and all I have to show for it is some road rash on my leg. Stay safe out there!
Old 09-08-11, 11:12 AM
UberGeek

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
31 years and counting. Of the 31 years, about 20 as an avid cyclist.
Old 09-08-11, 11:14 AM
javal

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost 4 years. The chain went off standin´up & going full steam uphill. I rolled over with the bike. I ended up in the middle of the road. Luckily no cars.

Edit: No, wrong. I had a group crash two years ago in a corner like turn going downhill.

Ergo; life has its ups & downs.
Old 09-08-11, 11:52 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have never been, nor ever will be without a 'stache.

Sincerely,

Fabian Cancellara

EDIT: It appears I may have misread the title of this thread, but my 'stache allows me to pass you on the road and also steal your girlfriend, so I do not care what you think of my reading ability.
Old 09-08-11, 01:55 PM
bobbycorno

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
...and to quote the (former) head coach of one of Puget Sound's top (former) teams, "If you don't crash at least once a year, you're not riding hard enough."

SP
Bend, OR
Old 09-08-11, 02:04 PM
catmandew52

Bikes: Mongoose Switchback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not since the early 1980's. After getting brushed by a vehicle and knocked unconscious. Btw was wearing a helmet.
Old 09-08-11, 03:19 PM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I crashed Tuesday, then again today.. but it was cyclocross and you're kinda supposed to crash.
Old 09-08-11, 05:30 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by garciawork
Made it three years till an impatient driver decided to pass a cyclist going uphill around a blind turn as I came around going downhill. Don't plan on getting in an accident again for at least another three years...
Twenty years.
Old 09-08-11, 05:47 PM
Minion1

Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
You really, really shouldn't ask this question. Cyclists are a superstitious bunch.
Old 09-08-11, 07:16 PM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Minion1
You really, really shouldn't ask this question. Cyclists are a superstitious bunch.
almost as bad as baseball players.