Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Best book: Tri specific training, etc?

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-05, 06:24 PM
kfb

Bikes: 04' Specialized Roubaix, 05' Specialized Stumpjumper, 96' GT Saddleback (eventual single-speed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I mainly used info found online to help set up my training routine for my first tri this coming Sat. Once i've completed it, i'd really like to do some in-depth reading on all facets of triathlons. I know there are a lot of tri books out there, so I was hoping some of you more experienced triathletes could point me in the right direction as far as must-reads???

Thanks!
Old 06-16-05, 06:09 AM
TriBob

Triathletes Training Bible by Joe Friel. Now in 2nd edition. About as in-depth as you will get.

Old 06-16-05, 01:24 PM
kfb

Bikes: 04' Specialized Roubaix, 05' Specialized Stumpjumper, 96' GT Saddleback (eventual single-speed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBob
Triathletes Training Bible by Joe Friel. Now in 2nd edition. About as in-depth as you will get.
No arguments from anyone else, so i'll assume this is a good book to start with ... thanks for the info!
Old 06-21-05, 08:35 PM
ZackJones
On Your Right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TriBob nailed it. TTB is an excellent book. Going Long is a great read for Ironman distance training.
Old 06-21-05, 08:54 PM
kfb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZackJones
TriBob nailed it. TTB is an excellent book. Going Long is a great read for Ironman distance training.
I ordered TTB, and it should be here soon. As far as doing a full Ironman, that would be a dream come true, but that would be a very distant goal. Looks like all Ironman's require a qualifier first. Even if I was in good enough condition, there doesn't seem to be any qualifiers anywhere near my area?
Old 06-22-05, 08:22 AM
TriBob

Only Hawaii requires you to qualify. Sort of like Boston for marathoners although the field is much smaller.

Old 06-22-05, 03:07 PM
kfb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking at Ironman Wisconsin site (i'm originally from WI), and it appears they require a qualifier, and they are a qualifier for Kona.
Old 06-22-05, 06:51 PM
ZackJones
On Your Right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kfb
I ordered TTB, and it should be here soon. As far as doing a full Ironman, that would be a dream come true, but that would be a very distant goal. Looks like all Ironman's require a qualifier first. Even if I was in good enough condition, there doesn't seem to be any qualifiers anywhere near my area?
If you can dream it you can achieve it (damn, that sounds like something MHR would say) . Seriously though if you want to do an IM plan on doing one. I originally planned to do one next year but after my DNF in a half IM earlier this month I'm revising my plan. I will do an IM distance triathlon, I'm just not sure when.

The only IM that I know of that that requires qualifing is the Hawaii Ironman. As far as I know all of the others allow you to enter simply by paying the entry fee. As the popularity of IM grows several events sell out a year in advance.
Old 06-22-05, 09:08 PM
kfb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can dream it you can achieve it (damn, that sounds like something MHR would say) . Seriously though if you want to do an IM plan on doing one. I originally planned to do one next year but after my DNF in a half IM earlier this month I'm revising my plan. I will do an IM distance triathlon, I'm just not sure when.

The only IM that I know of that that requires qualifing is the Hawaii Ironman. As far as I know all of the others allow you to enter simply by paying the entry fee. As the popularity of IM grows several events sell out a year in advance.
Zack, If ya don't mind me asking, what was the cause of your dnf .... time, injury???

I must say competing in a full IM would be one proud moment for me, regardless of how long it took to finish. Just finishing itself would do it for me! I just got started with the tri sport this year though, and i'm 38 years young, so i'll just take it slow, and see how it goes progressing thru olympic and half-IM. I still have to figure out how to get rid of this #*&@$# ITB issue, seems to want to linger on .....
Old 06-23-05, 06:12 PM
ZackJones
On Your Right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kfb
Zack, If ya don't mind me asking, what was the cause of your dnf .... time, injury???
Not realizing there are 4 disciplines to a long distance triathlon. The obvious 3, swim, bike and run. The 4th is the mental aspect of it. On June 5th I attempted to complete the Rock N Rollman half IM in Macon, GA. I had a fantastic swim, over 10 minutes faster than my goal, and was doing well on the first 20 miles of the bike. Somewhere around mile 23 - 26 I totally fell apart and gave up. I have a much longer version of my race recap Rock N Rollman Race Report

One day I will enter and finish a half IM and a full IM. When, exactly, I'll do that I'm not certain.
Old 06-23-05, 06:42 PM
kfb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure that was a tough decision to pull out, but hopefully the experience better prepares you for your next shot. The mental portion is probably my strength, but i'll need more than that to get thru a half IM or IM swim! As soon as I can get rid of this ITB issue, I will get back to a full routine, but for now i'll have to stick with some swimming and light weight training.

Best of luck to you!
Old 06-29-05, 03:48 PM
ZackJones
On Your Right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kfb
I'm sure that was a tough decision to pull out, but hopefully the experience better prepares you for your next shot.
It has. It made me realize that I am not on any sort of time table to do longer events. I will get around to doing them eventually but when I do I will be better prepared for them.
Old 06-29-05, 04:19 PM
kfb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has. It made me realize that I am not on any sort of time table to do longer events. I will get around to doing them eventually but when I do I will be better prepared for them.
I'm loosely planning to return to the same sprint early next season, then follow that up with an olympic length. If they both go well, i'm hoping to do another olympic, and then a half-IM the next season. How much I can improve my open water swimming will be the deciding factor on how far I can take this sport, as swimming is my biggest weakness?
Old 07-01-05, 06:19 PM
ZackJones
On Your Right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm taking a similar approach. I have one more triathlon on the calendar this year, unless I squeeze in one down in Florida and next year I will race the tri the park series. I emphasized race because that's what I want to do. I want to be competetive in my age/weight group next year. After that I'll look into into the half IM. I'll be motivated to go back to the course the beat me this year and do really well on when I do attempt it again.

Swimming is just like the other sports - keep at it and you'll get better, eventually