Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is it normal for alu frames to ping on bumps?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 02:22 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My caad9 is a great bike and a lot of fun, but I'm noticing a lot of pings and tings particularly on bumps and cracks in the road. Not always, but often. I've taken a lot of stuff off the bike to see what might be causing it, but even then I still hear them. My working theory is the seat post hitting inside the seat tube but that's harder to test and I still notice it when not sitting. I'm also not convinced that's it because of the carbon wrapping on the post that "should" deaden such sounds. What else could it be (not extra stuff hanging on the bike as I've already checked that) and are there any possibilities that could be a concern?

Thanks.
Old 09-08-11, 02:26 PM
GiantDefyGuy
At least I'm not a poseur

Bikes: Giant Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you sure it's not just the chain dropping down and hitting the chainstay when you hit a bump?
Old 09-08-11, 02:36 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carbon seatpost is a good place to start. Carbon spacers, stem and hadlebars should help further more.
Old 09-08-11, 02:38 PM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brake cable against top tube?
Old 09-08-11, 02:42 PM
wxduff

Bikes: 08 Cannondale CAAD 9 upgraded to ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me a loose bottle cage bolt caused this for a while (Also have a Caad 9). Also, sounds like the noises spokes make when de-tensioning.
Old 09-08-11, 02:43 PM
James1:17
comin' in hot

Bikes: '97 Allez M2, '90 Trek 1400, 80's Univega Alpina Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
improperly stress-relieved spokes settling?
Old 09-08-11, 03:09 PM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When I hit something big on the cross bike, exposed root, whatever.. my aluminum cross bike rings like a bell.
Old 09-08-11, 03:09 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. It's not spokes as I've had this issue too and the sound is different. Brake cables is something to check and hadn't thought about that. Not chain slap as again that is a different sound that I'm aware of and the bumps are generally much to small for the chain to slap. Stem and handlebars are something to check as well but not sure how without spending money. Will check bolts though to see if that could be it.
Old 09-08-11, 03:59 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
That pinging sound is your front tire picking up debris on the road and slinging it at the bottom part of your down tube.

To verify...put masking tape on the down tube and ride. If the tone of the pinging sound changes, you have your culprit.

Your shifter cables could be slapping against your down tubes as well. Cable donuts will fix that quickly.

Last edited by tagaproject6; 09-08-11 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-08-11, 04:09 PM
Sundance89

Bikes: [IMG]https://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/89ScottG/TourdeScottsdalePic.jpg[/IMG]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
This. Add metal ferrules to the equation along with any removal of your cable donuts. I'm a nut for having my bike in pristine mechanical condition. (Actually I just enjoy the benefits of wrenching my own bike) My cross bike is whisper quiet except for what you're describing.

Pop the cables along the top tube and you will hear the "exact" same ping. (And I mean the exact tone.) I removed my cable donuts some time ago and just haven't gotten around to getting some more, as well as deadening the cable stop/ferrule contact point. But I'm positive that will solve the ping because I've been listening closely to that for a while now. Just haven't gotten around to it. I'll report back if you don't first.

Last edited by Sundance89; 09-08-11 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-08-11, 04:17 PM
Elvo

Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Could also be your multitool banging against the CO2 cartridge or whataever else is in your saddle bag
Old 09-08-11, 04:18 PM
Sundance89

Bikes: [IMG]https://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/89ScottG/TourdeScottsdalePic.jpg[/IMG]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, at one point I thought it was my valve stem popping against my deep V rim because I never use valve nuts. I put the nuts on tight with plumbers tape to buffer the contact point too (just to be sure) ... and no good. Still there.

Last edited by Sundance89; 09-08-11 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-08-11, 04:20 PM
Sundance89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by **********
Could also be your multitool banging against the CO2 cartridge or whataever else is in your saddle bag
This is a very distinct aluminum ping sound he's talking about and not at all to be confused with any saddle bag noise.
Old 09-08-11, 04:27 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Liked 5,569 Times in 3,280 Posts
My vote! You probably have a little bead on the brake cable that acts like a little hammer creating the ping sound.
Old 09-08-11, 04:42 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Either brake cable or pebbles. You can get little rubber donuts that slip onto the brake cable to elminate this. Swerve around all the pebbles.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 09-08-11, 06:09 PM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This. I had the same pinging on my Cervelo S1. Picked up some Lizard Skin patches on ebay (they're clear, you can barely see them) and the pinging is gone.
Old 09-08-11, 06:20 PM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cable o-rings still make a ping but not as sharp as bare cable. The downside is that they end up closer to the tube so it might ping more often.
Old 09-08-11, 10:30 PM
djb

Liked 994 Times in 815 Posts
I am convinced it is his bell.
Old 09-08-11, 10:58 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This.

I also ride a CAAD9, and I promise - this is the problem. Test it as follows: Next time you hit a bump and hear the ping:

- Note your speed.

- Do a U-turn

- Go over the same bump again, at the same speed.

- But this time, put your fingers between the cable and the frame - and see if it stops the pinging.
Old 09-09-11, 06:42 AM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I am convinced it is his bell.
Crap, totally forgot about that.

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
That pinging sound is your front tire picking up debris on the road and slinging it at the bottom part of your down tube.
This does happen but not the same sound. It's always on a bump - particularly cracks in the road that cause a more "sharp" hit.

Originally Posted by DGlenday
This.

I also ride a CAAD9, and I promise - this is the problem. Test it as follows: Next time you hit a bump and hear the ping:

- Note your speed.

- Do a U-turn

- Go over the same bump again, at the same speed.

- But this time, put your fingers between the cable and the frame - and see if it stops the pinging.
Good idea. Will give this a try today if I make it out. Thanks.
Old 09-09-11, 08:11 AM
djb

Liked 994 Times in 815 Posts
ya, the going out and being methodical about going from part to part ,isolating it from frame should be the easiest route. you could even take some tape or a sock or something to dampen stuff as you go from part to part.
Old 09-09-11, 11:21 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,259 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
So there just happens to be a sizable piece of debris at every bump that happens to be placed in the perfect location for the OP's tire to pick it up and fling at the down tube? I doubt it, but it could be any one of a number of things as mentioned already in this thread.
Old 09-09-11, 06:59 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, I noticed that the the little donut things on the brake cable were all pushed together so I spread them out before my ride today. Unfortunately, I took a different route today and the city went and paved over much of the crummy road. The nerve. Still, seems that on bumps where I would have expected to hear the sound I didn't so maybe the brake cable was the cause of this particular sound.

However, there is still a sound that I think is related to the seatpost or perhaps the seatpost collar. There is still a metallic creak sound that "sounds" like it's coming from there. Not sure I should tighten it though as I was last adjusted by at the lbs with a torque wrench.

Anyway, thanks for the help. One noise down and at least one to go
Old 09-09-11, 07:06 PM
Sundance89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
However, there is still a sound that I think is related to the seatpost or perhaps the seatpost collar. There is still a metallic creak sound that "sounds" like it's coming from there. Not sure I should tighten it though as I was last adjusted by at the lbs with a torque wrench.

Anyway, thanks for the help. One noise down and at least one to go
Are you kidding? Run to your LBS and pick up a single torque key for your seat post by Ritchey or Park Tools. You gotta have that. Don't leave your seat post being correctly tightened to chance and a visit to your bike shop.
Old 09-09-11, 07:16 PM
Sundance89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and while there, pick up some carbon paste for your seat post. You might want to go over it just in case. You can also apply a thin bit (very thin bit) of grease to the under side of your saddle rails and the seat post clamp that it goes into. This solves a lot of saddle noise. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.