Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Katy Trail - do I need low gears?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 02:46 PM
YokeyDokey
DisMember

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix, 1984 Schwinn World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm planning a full west -> east run of the Missouri Katy Trail next month on a Specialized Sequoia Expert towing a ~50 pound gross trailer. That's gross weight... the trailer is kinda cute. The bike is equipped with a triple, lowest ring is 30, cassette is 11-30. For the Katy Trail, am I going to regret this gearing?
Old 09-15-11, 08:31 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IDK. Maybe you can find out here.
Old 09-15-11, 08:49 PM
DW99
Senior Lurker, mostly.

Bikes: '02 Raleigh C40, '10 Fuji Touring, and a refurbished '82 (I think) Motobecane Grand Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you are good to go Yokey Dokey! A 30 is what I have on my Fuji and I ride the Katy fully loaded quite often. The trail for the most part is flat, a few steady grades between Sedalia and Boonville but nothing really challenging. You'll be fine, enjoy your trip, maybe I'll see ya out there!

By the way, I seldom use anything other than the center chain ring on the entire trail.

Last edited by DW99; 09-16-11 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Center Chain Ring
Old 09-16-11, 04:42 AM
ollyisk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You shouldn't have any issues at all.
Old 09-16-11, 07:29 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
On the trail you should have no problem.

If you leave the trail, maybe. After I left the trail, I used some very low gears on hills in St Louis suburbs to get to where I parked a car at an Amtrak station.
Old 09-16-11, 07:42 AM
YokeyDokey
DisMember

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix, 1984 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
On the trail you should have no problem.

If you leave the trail, maybe. After I left the trail, I used some very low gears on hills in St Louis suburbs to get to where I parked a car at an Amtrak station.
Tourist - that's a whole separate concern; I'm told Amtrak won't haul bike trailers. I'll try one of the local shuttle services, I guess. Or maybe I'll just turn around and ride back to Clinton...

Anyway, this is the info I was looking for, thanks all!
Old 09-16-11, 07:51 AM
Blues Frog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding both ways is a solution if you have the time. I stayed in the big ring for the whole trip. I was unloaded on a Trek 520. I would probably start in the middle ring loaded. Railroad roadbed is all on flat or small grades like you were told. Clinton to Boonville is the slightly steeper section. The railroad used 5% grade or less as a rule. You could go from Boonville or Rocheport to St Louis and back if you were concerned but you won't find it necessary. Try https://www.bikekatytrail.com/default.aspx for information and additional links if you need more information.
Old 09-17-11, 06:09 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by YokeyDokey
... ... I'm told Amtrak won't haul bike trailers. I'll try one of the local shuttle services, I guess. Or maybe I'll just turn around and ride back to Clinton...
I did not use a trailer. Amtrak website said no more than two carry on items. I used 4 panniers and small duffle and handlebar bag on the bike. The large red backpack/duffle in the photo has my four panniers and the gear that was in the panniers. My biking partner put a strap around his two really big panniers to call it one item.

Took the train to Sedalia.

I have no suggestion on how to deal with a trailer. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4742.jpg (104.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_4745.jpg (102.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-17-11, 01:26 PM
MichiganMike

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just did the Katy last week...nice little ride. Only trouble you might have is if it pours like it did on Wed for us. Might get a bit sloppy.
Old 09-17-11, 01:33 PM
Gus Riley
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I did not use a trailer. Amtrak website said no more than two carry on items. I used 4 panniers and small duffle and handlebar bag on the bike. The large red backpack/duffle in the photo has my four panniers and the gear that was in the panniers. My biking partner put a strap around his two really big panniers to call it one item.

Took the train to Sedalia.

I have no suggestion on how to deal with a trailer. Good luck.
Great input, and right on time! We'll be jumping on the California Zeypher outside of San Francisco in August. I was planning to repack stuff I'll need while on the train into two panniers and ship the others home. I may still do that, since I also have to ship my bike back home anyway (Galesburg, IL is a non-baggage stop). It's good to have options. Thanks!