Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today? 2011 Edition.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today? 2011 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-11, 10:03 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a bad ride for me, nice tailwind this morning helped me make up a little speed after a late start. Even more exciting: my wife's maiden voyage on her '89 Fuji went well. She likes it better than the previous bike, says it handles better and is faster. I'm just glad to get her back on the bike, this is her 15th season riding to work. Looks like rain this week so, I'll clean it up a little for her and will soon replace the shifter cables/housings and stem, she'd like to stretch out the cockpit a bit.
Old 09-20-11, 10:06 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Rain last night so the roads ended up being a little wetter than I prefer for riding without fenders. I got a flat just as I was about to pull into the parking lot at the university, so I did the tube swap inside. A nice little chunk of glass was embedded in the tire. The amount of broken glass on the roads has been continually increasing over the past few weeks.
Old 09-20-11, 10:08 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been commuting but haven't posted in ages. Too busy with a full time job, 3 grade school courses, a pregnant wife , and various still unreolved apartment maintenance issues from Irene and Lee rains. Ugh...

It was rainy this morning, but a nice ride nonetheless. I've been digging the end of the summer heat. So much nice to have 70 degree days than 100 degree days!!!

Biggest change since last post is that the 700x35 Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires I'd wanted finally became available again, so I'm running new tires now. They run well and feel about as fast as the Vittoria Randonneur tires I'd had before. Hoping to get more then 3,000 miles out of the set (much as I liked them that's all I got out of my Vittorias).
Old 09-20-11, 10:44 AM
skijoring
Label here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rain today, more likely this week. Fenders work, Ortlieb bags work...always commuting, just not always posting here. Fall is here, Vermonters.
Old 09-20-11, 11:18 AM
Supernose

Bikes: 2009 Giant FCR 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't posted in a while. Commute really doesn't change, until today. Left the house extremely late(late is very bad as I have to catch the ferry at a certain time to make it to work on time), ended up cutting a good 10 minutes off my time to work, which is impressive to me. However, I really couldn't tell you anything that happened on the ride in. I was so concentrated on making it to the Ferry on time, I never actually looked up and saw what was around me. To top it all off, it was misting. Not a big deal to most of you, but this is So Cal. Rain in any form is a huge issue. If my glasses weren't fogged up, they were covered with beads of water making it extremely hard to see. Seeing is kinda mandatory when you're doing 30+ downhill, in the dark, and you know there are potholes in the road. I always freak myself out imagining me hitting one of these massive craters and just going head over heels over the bars.

Oh and to top it all off, I'm coming down a cold or something, so not feeling 100% today. Ugh.
Old 09-20-11, 11:19 AM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode my MTB in jeans, casual shoes and a button down shirt to the metro station (3 miles). Got soaked. I need to get some wet weather gear. And maybe another bike

I realised I don't own a single waterproof jacket.
Old 09-20-11, 12:44 PM
nathan.johnson

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to say that the last couple of commutes, which have been on my hybrid instead of road bike, have been great. I go quite a bit slower; it takes me ~25 minutes instead of ~17, but it's such a different ride. The slower pace with the gear in panniers instead of in a backpack—I love it. (I also love commuting on the road bike.) That 8 extra minutes riding is nullified by the fact that I don't have to change clothes when I get to work.

The weather this time of year in Tucson is great. It's one of the two weeks per year when it's nice to commute to and from work. In a week or so, the morning temperature will be a bit chilly... for Tucson. I'll have to wear long pants and long-sleeve shirts. I feel for those that commute in the snow! I don't know if I could do that.
Old 09-20-11, 01:42 PM
Zrane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This morning's was uneventful. The weather has been quite pleasant for a couple of weeks, a great break from 100+ heat.

Last night's was a bit more interesting. I had to work late(Until about 9) and left in the dark. I learned two important lessons:
1)Black people have low reflectivity, especially when dressed all in black.
2)I really need a brighter headlight.
Old 09-20-11, 02:54 PM
MIKEnDC
Seeing things

Bikes: '73 Bertin, '04 LeMond Poprad, Miyata 1000, and counting...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good rides today--especially this morning at 63F/17C. Morning showers started about 5:30 or so, just I was turning into our campus. I saw a few drops in the headlight, but only one or two actually hit me...
Old 09-20-11, 03:49 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,118 Times in 1,528 Posts
I passed a single occupant SUV today that had a "Simplify" bumper sticker. I love irony.
Old 09-20-11, 04:14 PM
dygituljunky

Bikes: Giant Sedona (Mid 90's), Giant Seek 2, Greenspeed Anura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride. I posted one my fastest times to work. I think it's because I hit several lights just right.

46.5 minutes for 9.25 miles (14.89 km).
Old 09-20-11, 04:21 PM
GMJ
Would you just look at it

Bikes: good ones.

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I passed a single occupant SUV today that had a "Simplify" bumper sticker. I love irony.
Haha nice.

The ride to class today was alright, but the ride home was brutal. Not because of the ride itself but the drivers on the road. They were being incredibly rude, like stuff that was scaring the **** out of me. People were deliberately riding extremely close to me and speeding, even when there was an open lane to their left. Even had a woman lay on her horn behind me, for no reason.

Now I can understand if I was being a nuisance and slowing down traffic, but I wasn't. The roads were clear for the most part and there was never any backup.
Old 09-20-11, 04:50 PM
caulobacter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some dude tried to knock me off my bike and take it; thats what it sounded like based on what he was yelling anyway. He on a bmx bike and me on a road bike, I simply pedaled a little harder and he was gone. I didn't even have to get out of the saddle.
Old 09-20-11, 05:31 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice first post! ^ Welcome to the forum!

What would someone accomplish by trying to steal a bike from a moving cyclist? It's almost moot; it would be nearly impossible to accomplish.

The commute was good today. I saw my teacher who also cycle-commutes to school on my ride in. He was riding to the back door of school, and there's a bit of a ledge to get on the driveway that goes past the back door of the school. I saw him in the distance doing a bunny hop (on a road bike, mind you) over the ledge at approximately 20mph--I guess he's daring! When I saw him, I was locking my bike up at the bike racks (at the front of school). He takes his bike into school and keeps it in his office.
Old 09-20-11, 06:38 PM
Igo

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheering for the Jr!
Old 09-20-11, 06:47 PM
Chalupa102

Bikes: Catrike Trail Recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surprisingly rainy commute this morning at 53F with light rain and winds from the SSW @ 4-6mph. I say surprising because when I checked the weather channel radar before I left the house, the area where I was riding was showing dry with rain to the West. It looked like the rain wasn't supposed to start for few hours. The rain started about 15 mins in to the commute, so I got a little wet, but not too bad. Took a slightly different route, which proved to be one of the fastest commutes this semester as far as average speed goes. I think I'm gonna stick with this route from now on. It's also 1.7 miles shorter than the other route I was taking. The only thing is that there's quite a bit more traffic.

Great commute home at 64F and overcast with winds from the SSW @ 6-10mph. Also took a slightly different route and it was the fastest trip home this semester. Had someone do something stupid I've never seen before. As I was leaving the campus waiting to pull out onto the main road, I was in the left part of the lane because I was turning left (and so cars could turn right if they wanted to). A pickup pulled up beside me and I was certain he was turning right. As soon as traffic was clear, he turned left crossing my path. How stupid and ignorant can someone be??? I mean, while he was sitting there, someone who actually wanted to turn right probably had to wait instead of being able to go because of him. It was a good thing I hesitated because there would have definitely been a collision if I went right away. Besides that, everything else was great.
Old 09-20-11, 07:33 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If I receive my legwarmers, tomorrow's commute will be great. But because UPS still hasn't come yet (very odd. They usually come between 11am and 1pm and it is now 7:33pm).

Edit: It is now 9:00pm and I still have not received the legwarmers. I called UPS and they said it is lost, because it hasn't been scanned in over 24 hours. I am currently chatting with a customer service rep from amazon.

Last edited by AlphaDogg; 09-20-11 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-20-11, 09:37 PM
cruzMOKS
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode straight into work. I didn't wake up early enough to add miles; 4 miles. Rode home and went east along the Missouri so I tried to push my speed as I rode. The wind wasn't bad and I ended up with 20 miles for the day. Tomorrow I head over to my brother's after work so that puts me up around 35 miles. These are the gravy days for Kansas City. The weather is perfect.
Old 09-20-11, 09:41 PM
buzzman
----

Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Dirty rotten cold.

Sneezing, incredible sore throat, hard to get a breath. No temperature though so I toughed it out and rode in. Felt remarkably good for much of the ride. Some guy was hauling in ahead of me and I, for some stupid reason, felt the need to keep pace with him from a distance. Managed to do it much of the way but was relieved when he caught a green light that turned red on me as I approached. Very happy to let him go.

Completely wiped out now at the end of the day. Hardly any voice left and I am wiped.
I have to admit the ride home was lovely. Great temp. Really pretty along the bike path.
Old 09-21-11, 04:58 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A nice ride in at 61 F ( 16C). There was one tense moment as two cars coming up on me in both lanes racing to the redlight. One did eventualy pull up, but too close for comfort to me.
Old 09-21-11, 05:05 AM
Malachi292

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Trek FX 7.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A pleasant ride this morning. 66F/19C, light rain, no wind. It was a bit warm for rain gear so I took it rather slow this morning. About halfway to work it quit raining so I took off my jacket, much better.
Old 09-21-11, 05:19 AM
dcb23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
65+ degrees, foggy morning...nice ride in.

I'm now locking my bike to any one of the many unused bikes in my condo garage...they never move and I am tired of trying to find a space.
Old 09-21-11, 05:32 AM
Malachi292

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Trek FX 7.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcb23
I'm now locking my bike to any one of the many unused bikes in my condo garage...they never move and I am tired of trying to find a space.
Interesting. Are cars allowed to sit unused, indefinitely in the parking lot? If not, should similar rules apply to the bike racks?
Old 09-21-11, 05:40 AM
ambitions2o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well this morning was a milestone for me. First commute ever on a bike. 12 miles each way.

61F this morning when I left around 5am. The ride was beautiful and really is like "5 cups of coffee" for me as I feel more awake this morning than I ever have at work haha. Little hiccup with storing my bike at work, but I have a buddy who lives around the corner so it is at his apartment until I get my permit this afternoon. I am amazed on how quick the ride was (54 minutes to be exact) compared to the subway that takes me an hour and ten minutes.

Overall, I think is my new transportation to work, I absolutely love the commute and can't wait to setup my MTB as a commuter for the winter.
Old 09-21-11, 05:53 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
57F/13c, super-humid and slightly foggy. My riding glasses got a little hazy and I could feel drops of water hitting my bare arms.

My commute is now so short that I just wear work clothes on the Soho unless rain is expected. It's very enjoyable. I'm averaging about 9 minutes per ride, including a slightly longer route I took home yesterday that includes a lakeside MUP.

Originally Posted by ambitions2o
Well this morning was a milestone for me. First commute ever on a bike. 12 miles each way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.