Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My longest ride to date, prepared to do longer?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-11, 03:21 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hey guys and gals, it's been cooler here in Phoenix lately and riding my bike hasnt feel like as much work. So far in September I have more miles than all of august put together.

So yesterday I rode up south mountain. 7mi with 1300ft of climbing. Strava says cat 2 climb.

This morning I felt froggy and did my longest ride to date... 62mi. Took roughly 3:30 solo. In a couple of weeks I'll be doing a 70mi group ride and I'm hoping I can do it. After today I felt completely drained. Adding 8 more miles today sounds crazy.

So the question is, how much easier will it be in a group? I almost feel like of I can do 62 solo, then 70 in a group should be doable, right?

Last edited by Vicelord; 09-22-11 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-21-11, 03:29 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Before last week's century, my longest this summer was 78. The week before the century, I only did 57. I made the century...but I suffered.

The danger of the 70 with a group is you may push harder earlier in the ride and find you've burned too many matches to make it to the end. It's tougher to "ride your own pace" in a group.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 09-21-11, 03:29 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Yes, it is easier in a group...assuming that the group is riding your pace. I do a weekly group ride now, just to push myself, and come home much more tired than when riding by myself.
Seriously, the draft will help a lot, and having people to talk to will help take your mind off the "pain". You will do fine. Unless you know the route, or how to get back, make sure it is not a drop ride.
Old 09-21-11, 03:31 PM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
62 miles and only average a little over 19 mph, and now your thinling about a group ride of 70 miles!...that's crazy talk there...
Old 09-21-11, 03:45 PM
trussdude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stay on the MUP, your speed is much faster there.
Old 09-21-11, 03:50 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You'll be fine. Draft (safely) as able, don't over-do your pulls, and remember to eat and drink frequently/regularly. There's often extra energy that comes from riding in a group. Maybe it's the distraction, the desire to not be "that guy", whatever...

Just be consistent and predictable around others, hold your line, and have fun.
Old 09-21-11, 03:51 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WHOOOSSHHH...
62 miles and only average a little over 19 mph, and now your thinling about a group ride of 70 miles!...that's crazy talk there...

Vicelord, there will be a lot of people averaging 15mph on your charity ride. It will be quite easy for you to finish the 70 miles having done 62 at 19mpha.

The key will to be not to overwork yourself keeping up with people who are stronger than you. If you do that, you'll suffer. Then again, suffering makes you a better cyclist.
Old 09-21-11, 04:12 PM
njkayaker

Liked 1,454 Times in 1,009 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicelord
So the question is, how much easier will it be in a group? I almost feel like of I can do 62 solo, then 70 in a group should be doable, right?
A "group ride" is riding with other people who are agreeing to ride together as a coordinated (in some fashion) group. An organized/charity ride is not (in itself) a "group ride". Of course, you can ride in a group on such a ride.

If you can do 62 miles, you can do 70 (assuming the same basic terrain).
Old 09-21-11, 04:20 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by njkayaker
A "group ride" is riding with other people who are agreeing to ride together as a coordinated (in some fashion) group. An organized/charity ride is not (in itself) a "group ride". Of course, you can ride in a group on such a ride.

If you can do 62 miles, you can do 70 (assuming the same basic terrain).
Well geez, I called it a race last week and everyone got on me about it being a group ride or charity ride.

Thanks for your responses guys, I just get nervous about new experiences. I'm one of those hand wringers (obviously) that frets for weeks about something I haven't done before.
Old 09-21-11, 04:37 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,250 Times in 1,510 Posts
A general rule for any long distance endurance event whether it's running, cycling, swimming, etc., is you can do the full distance if you can do 75% of the distance in training shortly before
Old 09-21-11, 04:40 PM
njkayaker

Well geez, I called it a race last week and everyone got on me about it being a group ride or charity ride.
People generally use the term "group ride" to refer to a "club ride" (basically riding with people you know as a group).

Below, you seem to be talking about a "club ride".

So the question is, how much easier will it be in a group?
The only way this organized ride will be easier is if you are drafting people (who should generally be a group of riders you know).

Otherwise, you are just riding alone with other cyclists around.

Thanks for your responses guys, I just get nervous about new experiences. I'm one of those hand wringers (obviously) that frets for weeks about something I haven't done before.
Really? I don't believe it!

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-21-11 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-21-11, 04:42 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
This morning I felt froggy and did my longest ride to date... 62mi. Took roughly 3:15 solo. In a couple of weeks I'll be doing a 70mi group ride and I'm hoping I can do it. After today I felt completely drained. Adding 8 more miles today sounds crazy.

First of all, it will be way easier.

Secondly, you most likely felt drained because you were riding too hard and/or had issues with inadequate hydration or food. You will find that if you drop just 0.5mph from your speed, things will seem easy. Drink a bit more water and eat a little (if you aren't already consuming 250 cal/hr or so) and you'll feel great.

Anyone who can do over 62 miles solo at over 19mph should have no trouble with 120 miles.
Old 09-21-11, 04:46 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,250 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Anyone who can do over 62 miles solo at over 19mph should have no trouble with 120 miles.
Doubling your longest ride is surviving at best. My quoted rule of making 75% in training means finishing at about the same pace as your training ride.
Old 09-21-11, 04:50 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by banerjek
The might have trouble if they try to maintain the same pace. There is also just-getting-used-to-sitting-that-long that makes it different.
Old 09-22-11, 12:50 PM
trussdude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This morning I felt froggy and did my longest ride to date... 62mi. Took roughly 3:15 solo.
I may be confused or maybe I read that wrong, How long did it take to complete the ride?

Typo?
Old 09-22-11, 12:53 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I went off strava, and yeah typo strava says 3:29

Why do you people stalk my garmin and strava sites to try to discredit me?
Old 09-22-11, 12:56 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts

You post it out on the interwebs and you wonder why?
Old 09-22-11, 01:00 PM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I started stalking you after your MUP racer thread.
Old 09-22-11, 01:05 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
You post it out on the interwebs and you wonder why?
I didn't post it in this thread, so that means he is actively going around searching for my rides.

ErichM, if you want to analyize my rides, "follow" me on strava and give constructive feedback.

Negative Nancy.
Old 09-22-11, 01:15 PM
trussdude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see the need for you to embellish your stats. You made it clear that you're a new rider and are improving your fitness level.

Isn't that what matters?

For somebody doing their longest ride ever, over 16 mph is very respectable.
Old 09-22-11, 01:18 PM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't post it in this thread, so that means he is actively going around searching for my rides.

ErichM, if you want to analyize my rides, "follow" me on strava and give constructive feedback.

Negative Nancy.
I think your rides are fine. You're out there working on getting faster, and I applaud that. You just really need to tone down your attitude. And in the case of the MUP racer thread you need to tone down the exaggeration, especially when people can verify ride data when you post it publicly like that.
Old 09-22-11, 01:18 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I didn't realize I did it. I wasn't looking at strava when I wrote it, I simply went off of memory.

My apologies for letting an honest mistake look like an embelleshment.
Old 09-22-11, 01:21 PM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't realize I did it. I wasn't looking at strava when I wrote it, I simply went off of memory.

My apologies for letting an honest mistake look like an embelleshment.
We all make mistakes, you just seem to make a whole lot of them.
Old 09-22-11, 01:21 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ErichM
I think your rides are fine. You're out there working on getting faster, and I applaud that. You just really need to tone down your attitude. And in the case of the MUP racer thread you need to tone down the exaggeration, especially when people can verify ride data when you post it publicly like that.
show me where I exaggerated on that thread. A guy crashed because I couldn't safely pass him due to his neglegence causing my negelegence. I passed a guy at 23-25mph and am a butt hole for it.
Old 09-22-11, 01:23 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ErichM
We all make mistakes, you just seem to make a whole lot of them.
95% of my posts are either on my phone, or while I'm at work doing 12 other things. Excuse me, sir, if you will please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.