Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Full or half finger for winter SoCal riders

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 12:14 AM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm about due for new bike gloves. I'm thinking about getting full finger gloves cos I remember my fingers being damned cold last winter in the early morning. I know it's not nearly as cold as other parts of the country, but do you ride with half or full finger gloves? Are their downsides to full finger gloves? Are they even effective at blocking the biting, bitter cold? The other alternative is to buy half finger gloves but carry wool gloves I bought at the surplus store when it's cold enough to justify that. Whatchu think?
Old 09-26-11, 12:30 AM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
full finger simple work/mechanic gloves here. If its 38 degrees, pitch black, misty and you are riding 20 mph to work I dont care where you are, that'll get to your hands and feet after 40 minutes. I'll soon have cycling shorts, knee or leg warmers, toe covers, full finger lightweight gloves, base layer, jersey, wool sweater, sleeveless vest, and buff in full face and head cover mode. That's how I roll. If its especially crispy then I'll have windpants on overtop and sleeved jacket. i still sweat like crazy but it keeps me from getting chilled.
Old 09-26-11, 01:01 AM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't it get substantially colder and hotter in in the Inland Empire than the Los Angeles basin? I'm in the San Gabriel Valley east of LA. I just don't remember if I was being a little ***** about the cold last winter or if it actually was pretty nippy? I think I remember my finger tips hurting.
Old 09-26-11, 08:55 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Winter is when your gatorade freezes solid after 1 hour of riding. Yes long fingered gloves work, try some wind proof ones, like for cross country skiing.
Old 09-26-11, 09:02 AM
El Gigante

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads Elite, Specialized Trcross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by albertmoreno
Doesn't it get substantially colder and hotter in in the Inland Empire than the Los Angeles basin? I'm in the San Gabriel Valley east of LA. I just don't remember if I was being a little ***** about the cold last winter or if it actually was pretty nippy? I think I remember my finger tips hurting.
I think the Valleys, (SGV and SFV), get quite a not cooler than Los Angeles proper. I ride with full finger gloves in the winter and while they're not perfect, they keep my hands a lot warmer than half fingered ones would. I have a set of Novara gloves from REI - thu're pretty good.
Old 09-26-11, 09:05 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by albertmoreno
Whatchu think?
I think the word "winter" is being used waaay out of context here.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 09-26-11, 01:14 PM
2wheelcommute

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never needed more than half-finger gloves for LA's "winter." But wear whatever's most comfortable for you.
Old 09-26-11, 01:19 PM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
I think the word "winter" is being used waaay out of context here.
OP here, transitioning to new handle. Yes, I know LA winters are not nearly as intense as some other places but as far as my experience and I'm accustomed to, 35 degrees is cold enough to say I'm not happy.
Old 09-26-11, 01:32 PM
Praxis
Not a legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems like us SoCal riders usually give them the full finger.
Old 09-26-11, 02:19 PM
weshigh

Bikes: All-City Space Horse!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride across LA daily but this will be my first "winter".

I think a lot has to do with how cold you get, and how far/hard you are riding. I ride in shorts and wool t-shirt with helmet and halve finger gloves but I see people riding in pants, long sleeves, and jackets. This is when its still 70 out.
Old 09-26-11, 02:33 PM
Blind
Holy crip he's a crapple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with mechanix brand full gloves. It's cold as **** in the mornings for me, relatively as I'm a socal person I live near the coast and it's quite foggy/frozen dew on my lawn when I leave in the morning.
Old 09-26-11, 02:51 PM
Booger1

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I live in SoCal,I carry both in the "winter"....It can get in the 40's on a good night and with the 8-10mph (me riding at night) wind chill and all......finger tips can get a little nippy after awhile.
Old 09-26-11, 11:51 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I think about 10 degrees hotter and 10 degrees cooler is more like it for the IE. No temperature consistency from the onshore air.
Old 09-27-11, 04:09 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Liked 492 Times in 385 Posts
Before you go with full finger gloves, there is the sweat factor. While I use full finger when it starts getting cold here in NYC I keep a pair of half finger gloves with me because within half an hour or sooner my hands are sweating. That's the case with most clothes on a bike.
Old 09-27-11, 10:36 AM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Before you go with full finger gloves, there is the sweat factor. While I use full finger when it starts getting cold here in NYC I keep a pair of half finger gloves with me because within half an hour or sooner my hands are sweating. That's the case with most clothes on a bike.
That decides it, I'm going with half finger. The cold is an issue only in the early morning. By 9am on through the evening, my fingers are fine. Thanks, Booger1 and Blind for acknowledging that LA's winter can be cold for us used to temps in the 90s.