Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best recommend cycling jackets

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 05:07 PM
worldtraveller
worldtraveller

Bikes: 92 Specialized Rockhopper, 96 Maxim, 2006 Argon 18 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all What cycling jackets do you all wear. and recommend
like something with zipper vents and lots of pockets
that is also versatile for all types of outdoor activities.

thanks
Old 07-10-11, 01:36 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I wear the Showers Pass elite. Can't get much more versatile than this. I wear mine all winter for cold protection and in the spring/summer for rain protection, when I need it. Only downside. No side pockets. One mp3 pocket, and a large rear pocket. Plenty of venting.
Old 07-25-11, 05:51 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear the J&G breathable rain jacket year round, have been using it for two years now. I will replace it with another one, when it is no longer servicable.
Old 07-27-11, 09:32 PM
kgriffioen
Go Leafs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pearl Izumi Elite with the zip off sleeves - lots of room for lots of stuff - runs about $100 but sometimes you can find them on sale for 75 or 80. Had mine for a couple of years and love it.
Old 07-28-11, 07:41 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by worldtraveller
Hello all What cycling jackets do you all wear. and recommend
like something with zipper vents and lots of pockets
that is also versatile for all types of outdoor activities.
That third line is the deal killer.

In my experience, general purpose jackets are inadequate for cycling.
  • The arms are too short,
  • they bunch up in front around the waist,
  • the rear rides up and my butt gets wet in the rain,
  • the collars don't keep my neck warm,
  • they lack any sort of internal ventilation at all,
  • and are generally meant to blend in rather than stand out in traffic.

Cycling-specific jackets might be okay for general-purpose, but would look silly on you walking through the woods, with the gorilla-length arms, short front, long rear and all the high-viz and reflective stuff.

For cycling, I like my Endura Gridlock cycling-specific jacket. I have a Land's End Gore-Tex jacket for other outdoor activities.
Old 08-19-11, 01:21 PM
roby

Bikes: `09 Tarmac Comp, `09 FSR XC Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear the Sugoi RS Zero jacket and it has served me well. Obviously I use a few other layers of cycling clothing, 3 plus the jacket. I usually wear this, along with my Specialized Therminal bib pants from late autumn to early spring. During the colder months I have the Sugoi Subzero pants that I wear with the Specialized bibs. I'm probably going to get a Specialized jacket to wear under the sugoi so I can ditch the cheapo undershirts I was wearing for something that wicks better and is more comfortable.

One thing is for sure, none of this "winter" clothing is designed for Canadian winters! Layer up

Cheers,
Roby!
Old 09-02-11, 08:05 PM
Top Gunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Cutter Softshell Anorak. Not waterproof, but very water resistant (unless it's a downpour, you'll be fine). It's comfortable and breathable. The asymmetrical zipper zips up (to remove) and down (to vent, when necessary). It has long arms to cover your hands, it also has optional thumb holes. It has a close fitting hood. Downside for me is only one pocket, on chest. They should put side pockets on it. Also, it looks fine off the bike, I don't look or feel like I'm wearing cycling specific clothing. There is a slight drop in the back, long enough for the bike, short enough to not notice off the bike. It's great for layering. On the coldest of cold days I wear a base-layer, a long sleeve winter jersey & the anorak over that, & I'm good to go. I also wear it for general use in the winter, including snow-shoveling. That's my review, below are the company's product page, as well as a link on realcyclist, where it is currently on sale. Good luck with whatever you find.

https://www.cutterbike.com/?p=732

https://www.realcyclist.com/cutter-as...ll-anorak-mens
Old 09-03-11, 01:09 AM
Snowman219
VICTORY IS MINE!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting...
Never tried a 'cycling' jacket.
Old 09-03-11, 07:05 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Liked 547 Times in 373 Posts
I like my Pearl Izumi PRO Barrier Lite jacket.

It packs up extremely small. I can wear it at the beginning or end of a ride when it's cold, and easily stuff it into a jersey pocket. I'll bring it on a ride "just in case I need it".

It's not perfect. The very thin fabric is quite wind resistant. I'd actually like it to breath a little more, but unzipping usually works for me. It's somewhat water resistant, drops bead up, but eventually can get through if the rain is heavy. It's fairly noisy when flapping at high speeds.

I wear it with a jersey and more base layers into the winter.

EDIT -- a few years later, I carry this for emergencies but rarely wear it. It's just not breathable enough.

The rolled up size:

Very thin but strong fabric:

Last edited by rm -rf; 11-16-15 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-04-11, 04:01 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really have no need for a jacket, but would love to find an effective covering to keep rain off while providing ventilation. I have been interested in the Carradice Duxback, but they've been out of stock it seems like for ever. Until I find something such as that, I'll continue to ride and get very wet, which is only a problem for me if I flat or stop for any other reason than ending the ride at home.
Old 09-06-11, 09:55 AM
Bat56

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=Northwestrider;13175905]

love to find an effective covering to keep rain off while providing ventilation

QUOTE]

In my opinion, the only solution is a cape. With full fenders of course.

For winter wear I go with either a hard shell or soft shell with appropriate layers of merino wool underneath.
Old 09-06-11, 03:47 PM
yep202

Bikes: giant revel 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered the GORE BIKE WEAR Balance III from nash bar I have yet to wear it. I got it in yellow. Was on sale. I'm getting super pumped for the winter its getting cold already and I can't wait. This will be my second year biking in the winter. I'm also thinking of getting a camera.
Old 09-06-11, 11:37 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowman219
Interesting...
Never tried a 'cycling' jacket.
You should, they are tailored differently.

In winter i use a wind-resistant vest of fleece that has a dwr coating. In the fall/winter a rain jacket, but that rain jacket comes off as soon as rain turns to snow.
Old 09-07-11, 03:10 AM
Snowman219
VICTORY IS MINE!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
You should, they are tailored differently.

In winter i use a wind-resistant vest of fleece that has a dwr coating. In the fall/winter a rain jacket, but that rain jacket comes off as soon as rain turns to snow.
I just bought some pearl izumi arm socks and lycra leg warmers. Perfect for 65 degrees at 3am in the morning, they work very well. Almost no sweat on my ride this morning and stayed warm even in 10mph winds.
Old 09-07-11, 11:41 AM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just bought some pearl izumi arm socks and lycra leg warmers. Perfect for 65 degrees at 3am in the morning, they work very well. Almost no sweat on my ride this morning and stayed warm even in 10mph winds.
Leg warmers at 65f! That is like room temperature? O well.
Old 09-07-11, 06:21 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Liked 2,492 Times in 1,287 Posts
Is this some kind of a joke or what ? 65 degrees is cold ?? You must be a roadie. Oh well actually you're not too bad , most roadies stay home and run around in circles on their indoor trainers, when the temps drop to 50-60's.
Old 09-07-11, 06:50 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Liked 2,492 Times in 1,287 Posts
I use MEC Supermicroft Jacket for cold, windy,winter days.. it has worked for me on the coldest winter rides, the jacket is just a windproof shell, so you gona need to layer with fleece or merrino wool when the days are very cold.
Old 09-08-11, 11:32 AM
shizzy

Bikes: Trek 4300, 85 Schwinn LeTour, Schwinn Link

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually have two jackets one lined and one unlined. Both are NOT cycling jackets, but for the price, they serve their purpose. I got both at the local "off" sale store (Marshalls here in MN).

The main thing to keep in mind is what makes a good cycling jacket. when out looking keep these details in mind. each of my jackets cost about $20 each.
Old 09-08-11, 01:06 PM
MichaelW

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My winter cycling/multi-activity jacket is a Paramo. They dont make my model but this is the closest. MIne has a removable hood, front pockets and no arm-vents
It has no membrane so is highly breathable but is sufficiently weatherproof for all day Scottish rain. I find it comfortable below 16C/61F.
Old 09-08-11, 03:38 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Liked 339 Times in 254 Posts
I'm waiting for someone to report on an experience with the Outlast clothing. Well, maybe there is some room to try it for Christmas.
Old 09-18-11, 03:13 PM
Fenway

Bikes: 1983 Peugeot UO14, KHS Green-Heavily modified, 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27" (work in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Showers Pass Club Pro.
Old 09-29-11, 07:13 PM
despoke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xtrajack
I wear the J&G breathable rain jacket year round, have been using it for two years now. I will replace it with another one, when it is no longer servicable.
I've had my J&G rain jacket for about 3 years. It still looks good as new. I also have the J&G touring shorts and helmet cover. Well made (in Oregon) cycling clothing and reasonably priced.
Old 10-02-11, 06:44 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone know of any that come in a 4x?

Went to my local big and tall shop looking for something to wear this fall and hopefully into winter, but for some odd reason they had no activewear. Guess fat people don't exercise too often
Old 10-03-11, 08:08 PM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently just bought one from ebay for around $30. Waterproof + windproof, cycling specific cut, reflective stripes, mesh lined, hook-and-loop adjustments for the elasticized cuffs, pull cords for the waist and behind the neck. Zero ventilation but I don't care because I get really cold really easily, and I can just pull down the front zipper if I get too warm. Wore it today for the first time and loved it. Seals in the heat and didn't feel the wind at all.

Now I need some decent gloves.
Old 10-18-11, 08:12 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I bought a Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier on sale about a month ago and it's only been cold enough to wear it the past few days. This isn't the convertible jacket that a lot of BF members enjoy, it's a cheaper model that has small permanent vents in the armpits instead of zippers.

I rode this morning at 42F and 20mph wind (35 windchill) with a thermal jersey and the Barrier jacket. After 5 minutes I unzipped the jacket about 2 or 3 inches and I was perfect. The combination did a great job of blocking the wind and I didn't overheat.