Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

41 jibber jabber at my LBS

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-11, 12:26 PM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a couple of us stayed late at the LBS to help put together some children's bikes that are being given away to less fortunate children. A guy came in who apparently also went on the group ride. He was *****ing and whining because he bought a Trek alpha something aluminum with sora (triple)...I dunno much about treks and i don't care to google.

the guy was whining because he noticed a used madone for 1300 bucks with 105 group. granted that bike was nicer and a good deal but the bike he bought was paid for...no reneging on the deal, plus he's been riding it. My take on the whole situation is he didn't take time to shop and research before buying. This was his first road bike and he knew nothing about bikes when we asked him about his bike and why he didn't like it.

what tipped me off about him being a BF member (possibly ViceLord himself) is he claimed to have a top speed during a sprint of 40.2mph...he also averages 30mph. So of course me and my friend (another BF member) proceeded with the typical BF responses. i.e. you should go pro. He didn't get it...he really thinks hes that fast.

He claimed that his hour long ride from his home to work on his mtb was cut down to 15 minutes when he got on his road bike. 75% faster....

He rode with us on the group ride and I hadn't rode in a week and was feeling sick so I dropped off the back to rest a bit from the fast group. (i couldn't breathe...too much mucus clogging my throat) we still finished relatively fast (22mi with a 19.6avg) and thats with a roll out for 2 or so miles at 16mph. we started in the back so there was a lot of catch up.....I never saw this guy...not in front of me or passing me on the return...he mustve been a blur at 30+ mph.

It's one thing to read it here...another to see a guy tell you with a straight face they are faster than the pros on an aluminum bike running a triple.

it's funny because he whined he had no friends to ride with, I told him he could ride with us any day but we can't promise he won't drop us at those pro speeds.
Old 10-05-11, 12:35 PM
garate55

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane Immortal Ice / 2007 Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you specify that km/h are different than mph?

Or maybe direct him to the portion in his computer manual where he can change the settings to mph.
Old 10-05-11, 12:36 PM
RecceDG
Token Canadian

Bikes: Cervelo S1, Norco Faze 1 SL, Surly Big Dummy, Moose Fatbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing this.

My life has been ever so much improved by this post.

Really.

DG
Old 10-05-11, 12:37 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh I definitely asked if he meant Km...he said "NOPE! miles dude!"
Old 10-05-11, 12:38 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was thinking maybe his magnet is closest to the center of the wheel and the rpms are being read the wrong way...but he was pretty much sure he was the fastest thing on the road...i explained to him our fastest rider doesn't ride that fast, then i went to THAT rider and told him the story...he just laughed
Old 10-05-11, 12:40 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't see what Sora or triple has to do with it. I ride a Sora compact double but do not blame the model for my paltry 17 mph commuting avg.
Old 10-05-11, 12:41 PM
trussdude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was probably a typo.
Old 10-05-11, 12:42 PM
branstone

Bikes: Centurian Iron Man expert - Dave Scott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this might be the worst post i have read , who the F cares............. seriously this is just *****y gossip i would expect from a 12 yr old girl.
Old 10-05-11, 12:47 PM
kj5423
training for ragbrai

Bikes: Giant Defy 3 Road (2010), Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er MTB (2011)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool story man

i hope the guy logs on today and reads this. that would not be very good for you i think.
Old 10-05-11, 12:48 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
i was thinking maybe his magnet is closest to the center of the wheel and the rpms are being read the wrong way...but he was pretty much sure he was the fastest thing on the road...i explained to him our fastest rider doesn't ride that fast, then i went to THAT rider and told him the story...he just laughed
???
Old 10-05-11, 12:49 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by branstone
this might be the worst post i have read , who the F cares............. seriously this is just *****y gossip i would expect from a 12 yr old girl.
nobody forced you to read it...or respond, and you're welcome to not return. you've got 31 posts, something tells me you don't read here much.
Old 10-05-11, 12:50 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kj5423
cool story man

i hope the guy logs on today and reads this. that would not be very good for you i think.
because I'd care?
Originally Posted by pgjackson
???
I don't know either...just trying to justify a 40mph reading.
Old 10-05-11, 12:51 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
a couple of us stayed late at the LBS to help put together some children's bikes that are being given away to less fortunate children. A guy came in who apparently also went on the group ride. He was *****ing and whining because he bought a Trek alpha something aluminum with sora (triple)...I dunno much about treks and i don't care to google.

the guy was whining because he noticed a used madone for 1300 bucks with 105 group. granted that bike was nicer and a good deal but the bike he bought was paid for...no reneging on the deal, plus he's been riding it. My take on the whole situation is he didn't take time to shop and research before buying. This was his first road bike and he knew nothing about bikes when we asked him about his bike and why he didn't like it.

what tipped me off about him being a BF member (possibly ViceLord himself) is he claimed to have a top speed during a sprint of 40.2mph...he also averages 30mph. So of course me and my friend (another BF member) proceeded with the typical BF responses. i.e. you should go pro. He didn't get it...he really thinks hes that fast.

He claimed that his hour long ride from his home to work on his mtb was cut down to 15 minutes when he got on his road bike. 75% faster....

He rode with us on the group ride and I hadn't rode in a week and was feeling sick so I dropped off the back to rest a bit from the fast group. (i couldn't breathe...too much mucus clogging my throat) we still finished relatively fast (22mi with a 19.6avg) and thats with a roll out for 2 or so miles at 16mph. we started in the back so there was a lot of catch up.....I never saw this guy...not in front of me or passing me on the return...he mustve been a blur at 30+ mph.

It's one thing to read it here...another to see a guy tell you with a straight face they are faster than the pros on an aluminum bike running a triple.
it's funny because he whined he had no friends to ride with, I told him he could ride with us any day but we can't promise he won't drop us at those pro speeds.
Yeah, after all your huffing and puffing on all things fast on a bike...you make this commentary?!? Really?
Old 10-05-11, 12:52 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RTDub
I don't see what Sora or triple has to do with it. I ride a Sora compact double but do not blame the model for my paltry 17 mph commuting avg.
because most bikes that come with a triple from the box usually have lower end heavier parts...or am I wrong in assuming this? I don't see any venges or supersixes with any...
Old 10-05-11, 12:54 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Please tell me that you don't really think that magnet placement matters. If so the person you are talking about isn't the only one with a problem here.

If the center of the wheel is faster than the outside of the wheel you are going to have some seriously screwed up spokes.
Old 10-05-11, 12:54 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Yeah, after all your huffing and puffing on all things fast on a bike...you make this commentary?!? Really?
wtf are you guys getting all bent over mentioning hes riding a triple. ok I think theyre pointless and fugly...got that out the way. If you're offended by my personal opinion, sorry that I'm not sorry
Old 10-05-11, 12:56 PM
adclark
What's a bike?

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i was thinking maybe his magnet is closest to the center of the wheel and the rpms are being read the wrong way.
The hub spins at the same rpm as the rim. Doesn't matter where the magnet goes. Total distance traveled by the magnet changes as distance from the axel changes, but not how many times the magnet passes the sensor in a given amount of time.
Old 10-05-11, 12:57 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
Please tell me that you don't really think that magnet placement matters. If so the person you are talking about isn't the only one with a problem here.
no, I was just trying to find a possible reason, any reason he thinks this. He made it clear that it was reading MPH and I couldn't think of any other reason, so the only other factor is he has the wrong wheel size entered in his computer but i would guess that would only affect mileage
Old 10-05-11, 12:59 PM
adclark
What's a bike?

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
no, I was just trying to find a possible reason, any reason he thinks this. He made it clear that it was reading MPH and I couldn't think of any other reason, so the only other factor is he has the wrong wheel size entered in his computer but i would guess that would only affect mileage
The wrong wheel size entered would change the speed reading because a computer that read rpm would multiply rpm*X miles/rev*60min/hr to get mph, but the magnet placement doesn't affect the speed reading.
Old 10-05-11, 01:04 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
wtf are you guys getting all bent over mentioning hes riding a triple. ok I think theyre pointless and fugly...got that out the way. If you're offended by my personal opinion, sorry that I'm not sorry
Relax, man. It's just a commentary on your commentary. Much like you and the seemingly impossible deed of a random dude. Aren't YOU getting a little bent over what he said? You got bent over so much, that you started a thread about it on BF.

As one member used to say ...pot...kettle...black!
Old 10-05-11, 01:06 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adclark
The wrong wheel size entered would change the speed reading because the computer multiplies rpm*X miles/rev*60min/hr to get mph, but the magnet placement doesn't affect the speed reading.
yeah...most likely just wrong wheel size input. I get the magnet doesn't change anything. I was just being honest in my post in what I said to my friend (we also had a few beers) I was just trying to justify the reading and his belief that he completed an hour ride to 15 minutes just by changing bikes. although I can honestly say I don't think theres a 15 minute ride I make on my road bike that would turn into an hour ride if I hopped on a mtb
Old 10-05-11, 01:07 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Relax, man. It's just a commentary on your commentary. Much like you and the seemingly impossible deed of a random dude. Aren't YOU getting a little bent over what he said? You got bent over so much, that you started a thread about it on BF.

As one member used to say ...pot...kettle...black!
oh no doubt...im the blackest of pots =)
edit: and the first to post on BF about getting 41'd IRL
Old 10-05-11, 01:07 PM
Carloswithac
Certifiably crazy!

Bikes: Felt Z5, Edict 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thread backfired on OP.
Old 10-05-11, 01:08 PM
himespau 

Liked 3,013 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel

If the center of the wheel is faster than the outside of the wheel you are going to have some seriously screwed up spokes.
well the the part of the spokes out by the rims should be travelling faster than in by the hubs if you're talking linear velocity rather than rotational, but that's neither here nor there as computers measure rpm (well actually times the magnet passes) rather than distance the magnet travels in meters per second, but you already knew that.

Now if the magnet was double reading for some reason or something, that'd be more likely.

Old 10-05-11, 01:09 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carloswithac
Thread backfired on OP.
not really...this thread is exactly what the 41 is...a bunch of jibber jabber...pointless and fruitless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.