Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How about another Chicago area meet-up and social ride?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How about another Chicago area meet-up and social ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-11, 10:57 AM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I'm going to try and make this one. Question for suburb dwelling idiot: where is a good place to park? Right at Foster Ave. beach (google maps showed a parking lot there)? Is it free?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-03-11, 11:55 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Liked 303 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Pars
I'm going to try and make this one. Question for suburb dwelling idiot: where is a good place to park? Right at Foster Ave. beach (google maps showed a parking lot there)? Is it free?

Thanks,
Chris
Yes, indeed, there is parking. You have to pay for it (pay and display), but it's available. I will check on my way home tonight to see if there's a time limit or not. It could be a 2 hr. limit.

Also, there is usually sufficient free street parking near my house if anyone wants to park there and ride to Foster with us.

Glad that you can make it!
Old 10-03-11, 12:25 PM
Chris Chicago

Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
if the weather stays nice, this sounds like a lot of fun. and Moody's is a great spot. though I recall their soda pop tastes terrible which "forces" me to drink only beer when I'm there. .. evil bastards.

cant make it though, moving a couple days later. have fun.
Old 10-03-11, 07:22 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

I checked parking on the way home. Should be plenty of parking, and it costs $1.00 per hour.

PM me if you want ride down from my place.
Old 10-05-11, 09:14 PM
bibliobob

How about a roll call so we can try and not leave anyone behind?

Bibliobob (+ my better half and a few friends) - I'll probably ride my Cinelli SC? Wife will likely ride Harry Quinn.
NightTiger
GiosCinelli
Barretscv
Pars - meeting at my place
iab - meeting at my place
Rugger Joe
Chicago Al and his wife
Road Fan?
B Dub?
Dgozinya
Rich Rice?
Chicago bent?
ecsjr - 80s Ochsner
DVC45 - probably

Last edited by bibliobob; 10-06-11 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-05-11, 09:33 PM
rich rice

Bikes: too many to list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to, still up in the air, though.. My granddaughter was born last Saturday morning, I may have to stay with my family this weekend. I'm going to try to find a way to ride, but can't commit at this time.. I sure do appreciate the offer, though.

Here's Lucia Marie!
Old 10-05-11, 09:54 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Aww, she's a cutie! Congrats on the granddaughter!
Old 10-06-11, 04:15 AM
rich rice

Bikes: too many to list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL.. Thanks! I'm still testing the waters about getting out for this ride- How long/far do you think it will go? I may end up in Bucktown Saturday, which would make things easier- I'd like to recruit my son in law to come too, if we can sneak away for a little while.. He has some hellacious bikes, too...
Old 10-06-11, 06:03 AM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts
I'll be there with my v. Herwerden.
Old 10-06-11, 06:07 AM
big chainring 

Liked 751 Times in 358 Posts
Can't make this one. Its our annual Columbus Day weekend camping trip to Door County. You guys should have some nice weather. Have a great ride. Take lots of pictures.

Took my first bike ride yesterday, since early June. Oh, am I out of condition. Hopefully the hills in Wisconsin will whip me into shape.
Old 10-06-11, 06:15 AM
bibliobob

Paul - Sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it. But, you've chosen an amazing weekend to go to Door Co. Perhaps we should all join you?

Rich - Congrats, and hope that you can make it. I figure that we should ride to the bottom of the path (6500 south) and back by about 1:00 pm, and then head to Moody's Pub for a bit to eat and a beer.

B dub - that's a gorgeous bike, and looks wicked fast!
Old 10-06-11, 06:52 AM
jebbesen
Ebbe

Bikes: 11 Fuji, 79 Miyata 210, Trek MB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a guy trip to Lake Powell. The Chicago weather should be perfect, sorry to miss this.
Old 10-06-11, 07:27 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Liked 172 Times in 88 Posts
A professional workshop event came up for Saturday...but I am pretty sure I'm going to stick with the ride and just go to the afternoon session. That'll mean cutting the Moody's part off or at least short, but I'll live.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 10-06-11, 12:24 PM
ecsjr

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
How about a roll call so we can try and not leave anyone behind?

Bibliobob (+ my better half and a few friends) - I'll probably ride my Cinelli SC? Wife will likely ride Harry Quinn.
NightTiger
GiosCinelli
Barretscv
Rugger Joe
Chicago Al and his wife
Road Fan?
B Dub?
Dgozinya
Rich Rice?
Chicago bent?

Please ad me.
Ed 80's Ochsner
Old 10-06-11, 12:56 PM
DVC45

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I am scheduled to work this holiday weekend. I'll try to switch with someone. ' should be easy. Most people likes holiday pay.
I am semi in (for now).

Will be ridding my Klein Perfomance most likely.

Carbon forks, but it has friction barcons. Should be CV qualified....right?

Last edited by DVC45; 10-06-11 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 02:55 PM
bibliobob

List updated. Glad that Al can make and look forward to seeing Ed's Ochsner. Those are generally cool bikes with a nice Chicago connection.

NightTiger
GiosCinelli
Barretscv
Rugger Joe
Chicago Al and his wife
Road Fan?
B Dub?
Dgozinya
Rich Rice?
Chicago bent?
ecsjr - 80s Ochsner
DVC45 - probably - Klein
Old 10-06-11, 03:01 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Wish I could swing this, I just saw it gut just got back from a week in AZ, and have family obligations, so I can't. I'd love to show iab just what a jerk I am

Have fun, Bob. Weather looks fantastic.
Old 10-06-11, 03:02 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts
If I can correct my squeaking front brakes in time I might come with the Raleigh International instead... I'll see.
Old 10-06-11, 04:00 PM
bibliobob

Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
Wish I could swing this, I just saw it gut just got back from a week in AZ, and have family obligations, so I can't. I'd love to show iab just what a jerk I am

Have fun, Bob. Weather looks fantastic.
Sorry that you can't make it. Another time, either IL, MI, or in AZ...

Actually, the weather looks TOO good. The path will be a bit of a mad house. We'll be going pretty slow between Belmont and Soldier Field, dodging rollerbladers, tourists, and folks taking a walk before Sunday's marathon. If any of our riders want to stretch their legs, south of Soldier Field is the right spot.
Old 10-06-11, 04:00 PM
bibliobob

Originally Posted by b dub
If I can correct my squeaking front brakes in time I might come with the Raleigh International instead... I'll see.
Squeaking brakes will be a safety feature on the path!
Old 10-06-11, 04:05 PM
big chainring 

Originally Posted by bibliobob
Paul - Sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it. But, you've chosen an amazing weekend to go to Door Co. Perhaps we should all join you?
Going to Peninsula Park in Fish Creek. All kinds of trails, secondary roads, and amazing views and scenery. Color is peaking up there. And bikes everywhere. Last year I was on one of the trails and passed a guy on a vintage Super Course, I was on my vintage Gitane. We both turned and checked out each others bikes as we passed. Kinda funny. I'll take some pics. should be interesting to compare to the pics you take on your ride. Have fun!
Old 10-06-11, 04:11 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Liked 172 Times in 88 Posts
Could we start earlier to 'beat the crowds' a bit? Can't believe I am suggesting this for a Saturday morning, but there it is.

ps: Big Chainring, I think my wife and I passed you on the North Branch trail on Tuesday. Did you see those HS kids at the small bridge, doing some kind of field trip that involved splashing in the creek and blocking the path by standing in the middle of it, chatting, while holding a long pole?

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 10-06-11, 04:48 PM
ecsjr

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Earlier can be worse - so many packs of runners.
Old 10-06-11, 04:50 PM
big chainring 

Originally Posted by Chicago Al
Could we start earlier to 'beat the crowds' a bit? Can't believe I am suggesting this for a Saturday morning, but there it is.

ps: Big Chainring, I think my wife and I passed you on the North Branch trail on Tuesday. Did you see those HS kids at the small bridge, doing some kind of field trip that involved splashing in the creek and blocking the path by standing in the middle of it, chatting, while holding a long pole?
No not me. I've moved a little farther east and am now riding the Green Bay Trail. Really miss the North Branch. You know, it could have been my brother. I sold him my Rickert a couple months ago.
Old 10-06-11, 04:52 PM
bibliobob

Originally Posted by Chicago Al
I don't have a problem with starting earlier, but a few folks are driving in from Aurora and Crystal Lake, which could easily take 60-90 minutes. I think that we'll be fine. We'll just ride at a social and safe pace through the congested areas.

Let's just try and leave right on time from Foster (next to the Park District Field House, which is right next to the path) at 10:00? The bathrooms should still be open and the water fountain still turned on.

We'll leave my house by 09:30 or so.

Look forward to seeing (or meeting) everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.