Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Bike shops that fix wheelchairs for free?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 04:11 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Bike shops that fix wheelchairs for free?

My mother passed along this link. It mentions a bicycle mechanic who works at a shop where they tune up wheelchairs for free. Seems like another great way for a shop to give back to its community.

https://www.ucc.org/feed-your-spirit/...-for-gods.html

Yes, i's a Christian devotional, but don't be scared, the UCC isn't too in your face preachy...

I wonder if anyone knows about specific shops that do this.

Originally Posted by UCC
A Blessing for God's Handy-Persons

September 19, 2011
Excerpt from Exodus 31:1-11

"...and I have filled him with the spirit of God, with ability, intelligence, and knowledge in every kind of craft."

Reflection by Maren Tirabassi

Until my son Matt became a master bicycle mechanic, I didn't know there was such a trade. Not a job, a trade. The technology, tools and technical expertise translate as well to most gym equipment . . . and to wheelchairs. At his shop they tune up and repair wheelchairs for free.

God asked Moses to set aside and consecrate Joshua's nephew Bezalel and his friend Oholiab because of their gifts of stone-cutting, woodwork, metallurgy, and fabric arts. They were going to create the tent of the ark of the covenant and its furnishings. Five chapters of Exodus are devoted to the details of their crafts. They shaped furnishings, vestments, curtains, a table, a lampstand, and a mercy seat. God said, "I have given skill to all the skillful."

This is a wonderful day to celebrate the spirit of God in every kind of craft. All around our churches and our communities are quilt makers and auto body mechanics, plumbers and watercolorists, potters and pipe fitters. Some of us use God's handy skills for amateur activities; some of us use our gifts for employment. Many of us are fortunate enough to be able to do both. Let's give ourselves a hand!

Prayer

God, take my hands and let them be – consecrated to you, every bit as much as my head and my heart. Amen.
Old 09-24-11, 07:37 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Standalone
My mother passed along this link. It mentions a bicycle mechanic who works at a shop where they tune up wheelchairs for free. Seems like another great way for a shop to give back to its community.

https://www.ucc.org/feed-your-spirit/...-for-gods.html

Yes, i's a Christian devotional, but don't be scared, the UCC isn't too in your face preachy...

I wonder if anyone knows about specific shops that do this.
Thank you the devotional, I like it.

I don't know of any bike shops' that do this. But it would certainly be an excellent business avenue that would potentially draw business from the disabled community.

Because, Every time I have gone into the two local bike shops I use for repairs, I have never seen a physically disabled customer buying a bike, or getting one repaired. I also have never seen either shop work on recumbent bikes.
Old 10-08-11, 05:13 PM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We have over 10 bicycle shops here, but only 1 would go the extra mile and buy several of those gray wheelchair tires for me. Of all those bike shops that is 1 out of 3 that will work on recumbent trikes.
Old 12-20-11, 02:14 PM
ka0use

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i LIKE it!

rarely do i see manual w/cs around here. most are electric and there are
specialty shops that handle those repairs.

odds are that folks in manuals don't have much $.

i knew a fella years ago who was a shuttle dispatcher for national jewish
hospital in denver. in his spare time he repaired manual w/cs for a non-
profit that got git around devices (walkers, w/s, canes, 4-footed canes)
donated to them and they would re-furbish and distribute to whoever
needed an item, gratis.

i found a w/c in a dumpster one day and strapped it folded to the side
of my motorbike.

lemme tell ya, NO cars would get close to, or pass, me.

gonna take it home and deliver that evening via a
co-worker who had a birthday party that evening.
when i showed up with it she got mad (was turning 40) and
wanted to know who it was for.

'you'.

ooooo, bad answer. time for clarification. 'it is for you...to take to
work and give to _______(insert name. i don't remember it) to
fix up'.

was still not happy, especially when others showed up bearing a
bed pan, dentucreme, geritol, depends, a cane, etc.
Old 01-09-12, 10:44 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I used to love working on Wheelchairs. Always interesting problems that were just not quite like bicycle problems, and so often the customer was stuck sitting in a chair in the shop and give me some company while I fumbled through.

We always charged, though.