Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Good routes to ride in MPLS?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-11, 03:41 PM
3 circles

Bikes: 1997 Giant MB, 2011 Felt Z85 Road Bike...and searching. Why didn't anyone tell me that when you get into biking you develop a sick need to own more & more bikes!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I currently live in Minneapolis and have spent a large majority of my time on the Greenway, which I'm tired of. --Are there any good road routes where a person can ride without all the stop and go intersections?
Old 10-15-11, 08:38 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Get out of town and start climbing out of the Mississippi river valley.
Old 10-16-11, 12:09 AM
3 circles

Bikes: 1997 Giant MB, 2011 Felt Z85 Road Bike...and searching. Why didn't anyone tell me that when you get into biking you develop a sick need to own more & more bikes!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Get out of town and start climbing out of the Mississippi river valley.
Thanks, I've never thought of doing that. Where do u usually start when you do that ride?
Old 10-16-11, 08:20 AM
halfspeed

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I live near Rochester, so most of the rides I'd give you would require putting your bike in a car and driving for a while. If you like flat, head West. If you like hills, head South and East. There's some beautiful climbing in the driftless region in Minnesota and Wisconsin. If you've got a cross bike, lots of people are riding gravel now. You can try something like this: https://milltowncycles.blogspot.com/2...avel-tour.html.

Also check with your LBS and local clubs. You're in Minneapolis, so you've got lots of both. Searching ridewithgps.com, mapmyride.com, strava.com and others will turn up lots of routes people have done.
Old 10-16-11, 08:57 AM
3 circles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome thanks. My family actually moved to Harmony, MN so I've road down there a couple of times It beautiful. You are right about the hills, there are a lot more 'Hilly" regions around there! The Lanesboro area is amazing so I'll have to check into that too.- Thanks again for the leads.
Old 10-16-11, 07:24 PM
zxy007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you gotten a copy of "The Map". If not, stop at Freewheel on the Greenway and ask one of the employees for a copy. It cost about 12 dollars.

The Greenway is the fountainhead for several trails. It connects to the West River Parkway, which going north connects to the new Cedar trail and going south connects to many, many trails.

North of MPLS at Hinkley is a long bike trail to Deluth.

This trail is located at Faribault
https://www.trailsfromrails.com/sakat...ging_trail.htm

MPLS/MN does have many, many trails....Luce trail, Theodore Wirth, Victory Lane, Weber Parkway....can all be found via "The Map". There is a free version publish by the 3 Rivers Park org.
Old 10-16-11, 07:30 PM
KoNP

Bikes: BMC SL02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can find some other peoples rides around you on mapmyride.com

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/?location=Minneapolis
Old 10-16-11, 07:36 PM
kbro1986

Bikes: Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MN is as flat as a pancake. I start in St. Paul and ride to Hudson and back. Gateway trail is good too. +1 to the Mississippi river valley.
Old 10-17-11, 10:14 PM
3 circles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the "tips" on trips!
Old 10-18-11, 05:10 AM
halfspeed

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kbro1986
MN is as flat as a pancake. I start in St. Paul and ride to Hudson and back. Gateway trail is good too. +1 to the Mississippi river valley.
Only if you don't know where to ride.
Old 10-18-11, 06:52 AM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kbro1986
I used to think this too, but looking at some of my Strava friends there are people that have it much worse than we do. I usually get 1,200-1,600 ft of climbing every ride, which isn't so shabby I guess. Some people are lucky to hit 100 ft on a ride.

I don't ride much into Minneapolis, as I live in Plymouth, but there are some pretty good roads out here. The other day I rode down into Eden Prairie and found a pretty neat road called "Ridge Rd" which takes you up into a private neighborhood of huge homes overlooking two lakes on either side of this narrow winding road. Pretty neat, had no idea it was there until I saw someone ride it on my Strava feed.

I really like heading out to Mound, St. Boni, Minnetonka, etc. A lot of roads around lake Minnetonka are really nice, and scenic too. There aren't any real climbs, but you'll accumulate elevation with all the rolling hills, and there can be a lot of them.

Last edited by ErichM; 10-18-11 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-18-11, 07:22 AM
3 circles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so I'm just gonna ask: Do most of u have Garmins?? I do a MAJORITY of my rides solo and I'm wondering if this is an inevitable investment for mapping out new routes that would otherwise be uncharted territory to me?
Old 10-18-11, 11:44 AM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3 circles
Okay, so I'm just gonna ask: Do most of u have Garmins?? I do a MAJORITY of my rides solo and I'm wondering if this is an inevitable investment for mapping out new routes that would otherwise be uncharted territory to me?
I have an Edge 500 for data about my rides, but the 500 really doesn't do mapping. You can do some level of navigation with courses, but no street labels. I usually just try to remember the roads when I look at other people's rides. If I get lost, I'll stop and look at google maps. It can be a little tough sometimes especially in wooded areas because you're on the shoulder and it's hard to see the street signs until you're right at the road. In those cases I think the Edge 800 would come in handy. They're so expensive though and for the amount I would use the mapping feature, I guess for me it isn't worth it.

I do find the heart rate data and other metrics to be pretty invaluable on the Edge 500 though. I think a Garmin computer would be a great investment if you do a lot of riding. Sites like Strava also make the Garmin pretty fun to have.

I'm at https://app.strava.com/athletes/109252 and there's also the Bike Forums Strava club at https://app.strava.com/clubs/bike-forums.

My Strava activity profile is pretty sparse the past few weeks. I've had very little time unfortunately.

Also check out these guys: https://app.strava.com/clubs/balance-cycling they're based in Uptown. I think I'll join their club next season. I don't know how close they are to you, but you might check out some of their routes for some ideas on where to go.
Old 10-18-11, 03:03 PM
halfspeed

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Inevitable, probably. Necessary, no. You can map routes or use routes others have mapped and print cue sheets to take with you.
Old 10-18-11, 03:05 PM
bitingduck

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
check out the TCBC website and rides-- there are (or were, back when I lived there) frequent rides of almost all levels, and I think for most of the summer they have multiple rides almost every day.

https://www.biketcbc.org/
Old 10-18-11, 04:27 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
If you do it, be careful that it doesn't leach the joy out of riding with data overload. I impulse bought an Edge 500, way overpaid at an LBS I don't even like, and loved it until the novelty wore off. I use it for cadence and mileage now, after going WAY overboard on data analysis and losing lots of pleasant rides in the mean time.
Old 10-18-11, 04:59 PM
swix

Bikes: 2001 Jamis Nova, 2012 Raleigh Militis 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bitingduck
check out the TCBC website and rides-- there are (or were, back when I lived there) frequent rides of almost all levels, and I think for most of the summer they have multiple rides almost every day.

https://www.biketcbc.org/
TCBC is an awesome source for good group riding, everyone is extremely nice. just google MN bike trails and there is plenty of info.

about the garmin question, i use an iphone with motionx GPS every once in a while. any smartphone would do.