Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

To Buy or Not to Buy: 83ish Bianchi Randonneur

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 01:14 AM
strctrofsmplcty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

(I posted this in the touring section originally, but figured that it fits here just as well.)

I am planning a tour from Sarasota, FL to San Francisco, CA this coming march with three friends, and do not yet have a bike to tour with.

I went to a Local bike shop today and found a 1983 Bianchi Randonneur, in near perfect condition with all original parts that the owner is trying to sell for $465. I feel like this may be a little steep, but I like the bike a lot.

Here is a picture
https://picasaweb.google.com/1084931...24077588844898

It Is a Magny Frame with Suntour ARX derailleur

One note is that it is a very interestingly sized frame. the seat tube is 52cm and the toptube is 57cm. I am about 5'9" but my inseam is only 30", so i have a very long torso and very short legs. The bike fits me nicely.

I would really like to find a complete bike that I can feel comfortable taking across the country, and Ideally would like to do so for less than $1000.

Should I hold out, or take the plunge? Any suggestions on other bikes? Should I give up on trying to be cheap and just buy an LHT?
Old 10-18-11, 04:17 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,098 Times in 1,580 Posts
Goodmorning and Welcome!! your pic is not showing up.

I personally would love a great condition Bianchi Randonneur but I think that price is steep. I also think if your a novice attempting a long trek like this you should have a newer easier to operate easier to repair (ie parts more available) that is not to say a new bike will break down on you. if a Surly LHT is in your budget look at a Bianchi Volpe.

IMHO this is a once in a lifetime adventure few people ever do. splurge asnd get a great ride so your comfortable and confidant in it so you can enjoy the ride!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-18-11, 05:57 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Liked 1,814 Times in 969 Posts
The link did not work for me but I have owned an eighties something Bianchi Volpe. Had that bike been a better fit, I would never have sold it. What a nice bike...
Old 10-18-11, 07:51 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Liked 184 Times in 119 Posts

You'd think a bike shop would use a drive side shot
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Last edited by Ex Pres; 10-18-11 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-18-11, 07:55 AM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Be aware that there was a recall on the original fork. Price quoted seems way high.
Old 10-18-11, 07:58 AM
himespau 

Liked 3,013 Times in 1,854 Posts
if the bike fits you and you have a hard time fitting other bikes, you might want to consider getting it (especially if you can talk him down on price). Older parts might mean harder to get replacements, so keep that in mind. Whatever you do, get a bike soon and start getting miles in so you're ready for next summer. That's a long way to go if you don't have a good base in.

Old 10-18-11, 10:47 AM
strctrofsmplcty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the bike

I know about the recall, the guy at the shop actually mentioned it to me, and has a replacement fork on the way that he will throw in with it if i buy the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo.jpg (102.5 KB, 564 views)
Old 10-18-11, 11:12 AM
himespau 

Liked 3,013 Times in 1,854 Posts
Is that a front and rear rack on it, or is what appears to be a front rack on the bike behind it? If they're of decent quality, those and the fenders will be nice starts to your outfitting of the bike that you won't have to pay for. And, while modern components would be nice, dt shifters are a lot harder to break on a long trip than brifters, so that might not be such a bad thing. You'll still spend a fair bit if you want to upgrade the wheels and drivetrain though.

Old 10-18-11, 11:37 AM
strctrofsmplcty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It does have front and rear racks, although they dont seem like the absolute sturdiest racks in the world, however probably good enough. I was not intending to upgrade the wheels or the drivetrain if I buy it. Would these components be sufficient as is? What might be a good price to ask for? I was thinking i might ask him to knock $100 off the price and see if he bites.
Old 10-18-11, 11:38 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Liked 1,814 Times in 969 Posts
As I recall, I sold my Bianchi Volpe for $450.00 plus shipping. The Volpe was in excellent, little used condition. I can't tell too much from the picture but the OP's bike looks pretty good. Perhaps the price is not too far off of the reasonable mark? Just a guess. I bought mine for $80.00 through a Kijiji add.
Old 10-18-11, 11:54 AM
RFC

Bikes: many

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Here is mine, a 1982. It's hard to say whether the fork issue is serious. When I called Bianchi, they told me that they had 3 fail out of the 1,600 that were sold in the US. Mine bike is in good shape, but obviously has some miles on it. I have seen this bike go on ebay for $350 - 450. I'd still try to talk him down.

Old 10-18-11, 12:17 PM
strctrofsmplcty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
about the shot, I have to admit, I snapped it quickly on my way out the door so its not the shops fault. RFC, How do you like riding yours? Would you feel comfortable doing a cross-country tour on it? Have you ever ridden it loaded up? Did you change any components other than switching to brifters and adding the leather saddle?
Old 10-18-11, 01:20 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I like the ride very much. I am not a fan of the slogging way full tourers feel. This bike is different. It's reasonably quick, but with the randonneur fork, stable. Yes, I would ride it across the country, however, I would consider upgrading wheels. The original components are fine, but add barend shifters.
Old 10-18-11, 01:55 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 349 Times in 176 Posts
I don't think the asking price is that crazy and value is relative; I'd take this over an LHT any day of the week. I think a big part of the question here is what kind of touring are you going to be doing? Are you sleeping in hotels? How often? Are you camping? How much gear/weight are you planning on bringing? If you're bringing massive weight - say, over 60 lbs, I think a true full tourer might be a better fit (though I'd still avoid an LHT like the plague). If you're more in the 40lbs area, I think this is a good choice. If you're talking heavy weight, I'd want 40h wheels.

Personally, when i finally get a chance to take my Koga cross country, I'm going to use STI with some DT shifters as back up. I trust DT shifters more, but STI is just SO nice. I really dislike barend shifters, though many swear by them. I find shifting with them twitchy and difficult.
Old 10-18-11, 04:45 PM
strctrofsmplcty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will mostly be camping and carrying food, and dont plan to stay in hotels if i can swing it. Im not sure what the pack weight will be because I have never bike toured before, but when I do backpacking trips of a similar scope my pack tends to come in between 50 and 70 lbs, including food for 10 days, which i dont expect to have to carry, i will be able to buy a lot of food on the day that i use it mostly. What are some examples of "true full tourers"? What do you not like about the LHT? Is it ubiquity or are they not great bikes?
Old 10-18-11, 04:52 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 349 Times in 176 Posts
I think they're the heaviest touring bikes around. I think they're overkill and ride like a boat when not loaded. Some people swear by them, but I think they're overbuilt and limited to riding with weight...there are touring bikes that ride well loaded down but don't feel like anchors with less weight. I'd be after a 2nd market Lotus, Miyata or Trek touring bike personally, or I'd hope I got lucky on a Bruce Gordon or Bilenky.
Old 10-18-11, 05:57 PM
VeloBrox

Bikes: 1951 Armand Carlsen, 1969 DBS Deluxe, 1949 Diamant, 1978 DBS Winner Tandem, 1955 Herkules... to infinity and beyond!

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by strctrofsmplcty
It does have front and rear racks, although they dont seem like the absolute sturdiest racks in the world, however probably good enough. I was not intending to upgrade the wheels or the drivetrain if I buy it. Would these components be sufficient as is? What might be a good price to ask for? I was thinking i might ask him to knock $100 off the price and see if he bites.
Don't change the geartrain if it isn't worn out.

I personally tour just fine with down-tube shifters. Some prefer bar-end mounted ones - a simple conversion. Brifters (modern shifters and brakes built into one unit) would ruin the look, if you ask me!
Old 10-18-11, 06:04 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
I don't think the price is all that high. Depends on your market, I guess. I bet if you walked in there with 4 crisp hundred dollar bills, you'd walk out with a bike.
Old 10-18-11, 06:20 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

I passed on RFC's for considerably less than he paid for it.

In my mind there are many other bikes reasonably priced that would be better suited for a cross country, loaded ride. In the end, you decide what works for you.

I do know I'd want to be comfortable, so size first. IMO
Old 10-18-11, 06:21 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Originally Posted by lostarchitect
I don't think the price is all that high. Depends on your market, I guess. I bet if you walked in there with 4 crisp hundred dollar bills, you'd walk out with a bike.
And a happy ending.
Old 10-18-11, 06:36 PM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Liked 81 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
In the end, you decide what works for you.

I do know I'd want to be comfortable, so size first. IMO
+10000

Originally Posted by lostarchitect
... I bet if you walked in there with 4 crisp hundred dollar bills, you'd walk out with a bike.
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
And a happy ending.
+1. Money talks on old bikes at bike shops selling new bikes.
Old 10-19-11, 05:14 PM
strctrofsmplcty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you everyone for your help! Im going back to the shop on friday to take it for another longer test ride to see how i feel about it. My initial reaction was that I like it a lot. I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 10-19-11, 05:47 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i'd wait to see what the replacement fork is like. does anyone know? what if is comes without canti bosses or something dumb?