Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Old 126 mm Klein frame with 9 speed wheel?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-05, 12:25 PM
Rman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to put my 1992 Klein back on the road as a winter bike and wish to upgrade to 9 sp hub. Unfortunately the frame can not be widened from 126 mm spacing to 130 mm for newer hubs. How about this? Take out 4mm from the left side to the hub using a different spacer (this will make it much easier to switch the wheel back to 130 mm). The wheel be off-center by 2 mm and the brakes will have to wear a little to be flat on the rim. I will also change to my old set of Ultegra STI levers and the inner 9 sp chainring, 9 speed chain, 9 speed Ultegra derailler. (I plan to leave the old front derailler)

Will shifting be as good as a newer frame with 130 mm spacing?
Old 07-10-05, 10:10 AM
Romulus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why can't it be spaced? AL?
Old 07-10-05, 10:55 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
It sounds to me like your wheel is going to run 4mm off center. That's quite a bit. I kind of think it'll make your bike want to turn to the right all of the time. Kind of the opposite of a NASCAR racer.
Old 07-10-05, 12:34 PM
alanbikehouston

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Those 4mm don't always matter much. Some newer wheels will slide into a 126mm frame with just a mild bit of wiggling. I've put newer wheels with 130mm spacing into several of my older 126mm bikes without much effort, just a firm push. Alignment? I don't know, as I didn't keep the wheels on for long.

On the whole, I prefer to run 126mm wheels on my older bikes. I have about a dozen sets of the 126mm wheels, and I'll keep them until they wear out. Given that I was "built" during the Truman years and the 126mm wheels were built during the George 1st reign, those old wheels may out last me.
Old 07-10-05, 01:50 PM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know I have a old lemond frame that had 6 speed freewheel. Basicaly setup for rainy days etc.. I had a 9 speed ritchey wheelset that I pulled off my Fuji and jut put it in.. moving the rear triangle 2mm on each side is no big deal.. You can tell it is snug in there but other then that no force needed to put it in.