Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Skinny saddles on road bikes -- why?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-05, 01:17 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

1. Is it because they are actually more comfortable due to less rubbing?

2. Is it because they give more free leg movement and thus more speed for less watts?

3. Or is it because they weigh less?

If main reason is #3, I wonder if the skinny saddles you see on high end racing bikes are the result of manufacturers pandering to the weight-weenies and bling-bling crowd.

I'm debating whether to buy a specialized BG comfort or BG sport saddle to replace the (narrow) Velo Plush that replaced the Bontrager Select Comfort saddle that came with my Trek 1000c.

I went for a 30 mile ride, and came home with some discomfort -- not out and out pain, just some irritation. I took the Velo off my bike and put my Bontrager stock saddle back on and went back out. My hiney felt much better.

I never had any real problems with the Bontrager saddle, I just thought I could do better as far as comfort.

Am I asking too much when I say that I want to ride for 50 or 100 miles without any soreness whatsoever?

How sore should my butt be after a 30 mile ride?

I find a small amount of pain to be a distraction, and it seems to slow me down. Am I alone in that regard?
Old 07-08-05, 01:21 PM
RC2

Bikes: Specialized, Moots, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See the OCP threads. For some it's looks, or obsessive, over-the-top attempts at weight reduction. That said, some folks' anatomy is such that they may fair best on a thin saddle.

Best thing to do is experiment. Go to a LBS with a good saddle selection and sit on them (if you go during a slow period they'll typically help you bolt a couple onto your bike and try 'em out). Finding a saddle that works best for you isn't an easy thing sometimes.
Old 07-08-05, 01:23 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
As long as they are gel lined, the width does not seem to matter. Do like the ergo cut for males..answers, 1 and 2 apply to me. Not 3.
Old 07-08-05, 01:33 PM
puddin' legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1,2, and 3.... + good tights and chamois butter.

If fat and sloppy worked, you'd see them on RAAM and Tour bikes.
Old 07-08-05, 01:38 PM
hmai18
Cannondale Shill

Bikes: '06 CAAD8, SRAM Rival/Force and fixie of unknown origin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's because most people prefer having firm saddles on longer rides. The less gel and padding there is on the saddle, the less there is to get pushed up onto your butt, and therefore less pressure. If you want a bit more padding, try to find a pair of shorts with a slightly thicker chamois.

Saddles like the Selle Italia SLR or the Arione are designed to support your sitbones and that's about it. No frills, no extra padding.
Old 07-08-05, 01:39 PM
kster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you are riding a road bike, you aren't (normally) sitting upright, but instead your upper body leans forward for a more aero position. This puts less weight on the saddle so you don't need a very plush sitting area.
Old 07-08-05, 01:40 PM
martin_j001
Allez!!! Allez!!!

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie w/Dura Ace, Benotto w/105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you look at the bones that should be supported by a seat, they are usually no more than 5 or 6 inches apart on a male, even if they are quite heavy. The reasons for saddles being the size they are is simple ergonomics, nothing to do with what looks better. Now, some people may be willing to put up with a little pain cause they like their saddle, and some may simply like the saddle enough to ride even if it hurts, but I doubt this is the majority of people out there at all. The more comfortable the bike, the more likely you are to ride it. If the Bontrager saddle works for you for the most part, tweak the tilt and all that to see if you can get it feeling better. Tilted nose down a touch removes pressure from the perineum (sp?), and tilted nose up places more pressure on this area and less on the sit bones. See what works best for you. You can spend a great deal of money trying to find the "right" saddle though, so choose wisely....
Old 07-08-05, 01:42 PM
DocRay

it's annoying when the put the same skinny saddle on large bikes, for those 6'4" 120lb guys.

Saddle to narrow and you will pound your pp into impotence.

Old 07-08-05, 01:43 PM
hmai18
Cannondale Shill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'4" and 120lb? I'm assuming that's a typo and that you meant to type 210.
Old 07-08-05, 01:51 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by hmai18
6'4" and 120lb? I'm assuming that's a typo and that you meant to type 210.
I thought he meant 1200
Old 07-08-05, 03:16 PM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I go 180-185 pounds in season, plus 10 or more in the winter and ride on an Aliante. It's narrow, but has the "just right" amount of foam for my butt. It also hits my sit bones dead on, just the way it should. Even when I was almost 210, it was a great saddle. Not like gaining weight changes bone structure, it's usually sitting on the bones and not moving them around too much.

Great part about cycling is that there are so many different body types and shapes and bone structures that no one can tell anyone other than their identical twin or clone that what works for me will work for you.
Old 07-08-05, 08:46 PM
ADlBOO
OCP-Poseur...

Bikes: Madone 5.9, Cervelo R2.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah i like my gel lined saddle, thin lining of gel just enought to pad a lil cuz i dont wear bike shorts when i ride(wear boardshorts), usually small group rides and dont wanna look like some hardcore cyclist. (cuz im not, yet) But am considering buying a pair though becuase the only thing that seems to get irritated would be my package... am i not adjusting the boys right?
Old 07-08-05, 08:49 PM
hmai18
Cannondale Shill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you wear anything under those boardshorts?

Wearing nothing but good bike shorts/bibs with a quality chamois and a saddle like the Arione is probably more comfortable than wearing shorts with underwear beneath them. At least for me it is. Two layers of fabric rubbing against each other and then against your crotch = bad news.
Old 07-08-05, 09:35 PM
krazyderek
Ca-na-da?

Bikes: none at the moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got an Arione, which is a tad narrower then my last saddle. but after a couple rides i do find it much more comfortable, it's flatter, the padding is stiff, get gentle at the same time. My LG shorts have a thick chamois too. The arione just looks narrow cause it's so long and cause of the weird non-traditional shape at the back.

Expecting to have no discomfort is unrealistic. Base it on experience, can you sit on a comfy sofa for 2 hours watching a movie without you butt getting a little stiff or soar? Now add intensive leg movement, physical activity demands, flexing muscles to the mix, and reduce the effective contact area and make it stiffer for a more efficient pedal stroke while seated. Don't matter if the seat is custom molded to your butt, there's still 80lbs+ of weight coming down on an area the size of your hand, you'r going to feel presure, which after a while your mind will start to tell you is pain.

Last edited by krazyderek; 07-08-05 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-08-05, 10:37 PM
literacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
less is more sometimes
Old 07-08-05, 10:43 PM
sparknote_s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a saddle that is taken straight off a walmart $80 mountain bike. I really like it too.
Old 07-08-05, 10:56 PM
thewalrus
CAT6 UTP 568B

Bikes: 2005 Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For the insane, here's a 80 gram carbon fibre unpadded saddle:

Selle Italia C64

Old 07-08-05, 11:48 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks painful just looking at it...
Old 07-08-05, 11:53 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
#s 1 and 2

For what it's worth I was using an oldschool mountain bike saddle for the longest time, that was very road-saddle like "SDG S7000".

It was also rather light at only 5 grams more than my serfas terrazzo. Given it's not what most would call light, but it's a heck of a lot lighter than most mountain saddles.

BTW I'm not selling it, it's reserved for my fixie project.
Old 07-08-05, 11:56 PM
97 Teran
Pure Joy Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me it's just #1, I have no idea about #2 and #3 doesn't concern me in the least. I'm a 6'4", 195 lb. rider, there are more important places to save weight than 20-80 grams on my saddle... That said, I ride an SLR, and it's easily the most comfortable saddle I've ever tried. It's not perfect, and I have hopes that something out there will fit me even better, but I'll look only when this one starts to wear. Being fairly narrow, the SLR definitely causes less stress against the inside thighs and groin.

Saddles with too much padding make me feel less connected to the bike, which is a horrible sensation. I venture that the Specialized BG Sport, which I've ridden fairly extensively on a hybrid commuter, falls in to that group (for me.) Wouldn't ever go on a long ride with it.
Old 07-08-05, 11:59 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer a thin saddle because I seem to be immune to saddle discomfort, as long as the saddle is thin enough to as not to interfere with my leg movement. I have fairly thick thighs, so if the saddle it too wide, it chafes at the insides of my thighs until my shorts wear through.

Also, the saddle cannot have any sort of gel, because all that seems to do (for me) is retain heat and cause discomfort. The original Selle Italia Flite (the perforated model) is my idea of the perfect saddle.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 07-10-05, 01:52 PM
ADlBOO
OCP-Poseur...

Bikes: Madone 5.9, Cervelo R2.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hmai18
Do you wear anything under those boardshorts?
Two layers of fabric rubbing against each other and then against your crotch = bad news.
I usually dont wear anything under them. Today i wore a pair of boxer briefs that i wear when i go hiking and they feel the same. Its more of a aching/ blue ball kinda feeling, not a rubbing chaffing feeling...
Old 07-10-05, 02:16 PM
kandnhome
Unemplawyer

Bikes: 2006 21" Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought a fizik pave (pretty narrow, but slightly gel-padded - not more than 1/4" or so thick) at it is waaay more comfortable than my previous saddle (an old Vetta), not to mention lighter and thinner. I'm a fairly big guy at 6'2" 220lbs and I have no real discomfort even on long rides now that I have it adjusted properly.

Finding the right amount of setback to get your sitbones on the right part of the saddle and the right amount of tilt to keep the pressure where it belongs is key, and takes a few rides to sort out. Once that's done, if the saddle is the right size/shape for your anatomy, it should be good to go. However, 100 miles (4-7hrs saddle time depending on your speed) will give anyone some discomfort if you don't regularly shift your weight around, and let the blood flow through the spots that support the pressure. Even an easy chair isn't that comfy for 7hrs straight.
Old 07-10-05, 02:27 PM
KennethToronto
Go Go Fassa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thewalrus
For the insane, here's a 80 gram carbon fibre unpadded saddle:

Selle Italia C64

No one goes on a normal ride on a full CF saddle.

Things like that would be ideal for a short time trial, where a bit of trade off between discomfort and weight savings is acceptable.
Old 07-10-05, 02:29 PM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite saddle so far has been the San Marco Aspide.. very minimal padding.. And very comfortable so far. I have purchased 3 of them to date.. for different bikes. The back hits my sit bones perfectly. It is sleak narrow minimal padding and light at 180grams.. I admit I have looked at there carbon fiber model.. it is a few grams lighter but main reason is it will match my full CF bike.. but at $250 I believe it is I can't justify it.. In the end test out as many as you can, find what fits your bottom best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.