Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wrapping bars - cloth tape, no hoods

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Wrapping bars - cloth tape, no hoods

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-11, 04:12 PM
Bikedued

Liked 112 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan@TreeFort
Pictures please
They're coming I promise! I have temporarily misplaced my BB tool, and have yet to find it. I can't pop the cranks off to polish them, or rebuild the BB. I did find the Campy top tube clamp on guides though, I have been looking for those off and on for the last few months. Lets hope it doesn't take that long to find the BB tool.,,,,BD
Old 11-26-11, 04:47 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Bikes: 2010 Niner EMD, 2008 Surly Steamroller, 2007 Giant OCR.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Looks nice Alan. Now all we gotta do is find you some Universal gum hoods to replace those rubber bands.

The Uni hoods are way pricey but I agree with kroozer. Sure would be worth it for this bike. I have the little back rubber adjuster covers, Alan, if you ever find the hoods. Just say the word.
Haha -what you don't like my rubber bands? I just threw those on to keep the levers closed shut until I get the brake cables all set up. I'll take my time finding those hoods, as I've said elsewhere this bike is a bit big for me so won't be ridden very much. My main objective right now is getting it back to closest to original shape and assembled. But if you come across some please let me know!
Old 11-26-11, 07:38 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts
I think pre-1970's bikes look great and period correct without hoods on the brake levers. Especially with that style of lever that has a flat simple lever body like the Universals; the Cinelli looks very nice and has a great wrapping job.

Sure, many bikes in the old days probably came from the store wrapped top to bottom. It's an easy way to wrap the bars, its efficient, etc. The Schwinn is a good example of that. The Cinelli on the other hand a bike of a different caliber and was not an everyman's bike. Serious riders develop their own preferred riding style, and as today, would wrap their bars in the way that suited them best. Still, I would bet if you bought the Cinelli fully built up and new back then, it was wrapped top to bottom with cloth tape. I'm just speculating on that.

If I was going to display the bike, I would wrap top to bottom, but if I was going to ride it it would be wrapped bottom to top with hemp cord wrap to finish it. Just because it's the way I like it YMMV
Old 11-26-11, 08:41 PM
rootboy 

Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan@TreeFort
Haha -what you don't like my rubber bands? I just threw those on to keep the levers closed shut until I get the brake cables all set up. I'll take my time finding those hoods, as I've said elsewhere this bike is a bit big for me so won't be ridden very much. My main objective right now is getting it back to closest to original shape and assembled. But if you come across some please let me know!
heh, yeah, I kinda like the rubber bands. The gum hoods come up now and again Alan. I'll keep you posted if I see them, as I'm always looking. That bike looks fine with wrapped levers, those Uni's being so distinctive. And with gloves should ride fine too, though the rubber on Universal 61's IS very comfy. Good looking bike Alan. The gray housings ought to look just right too. Cheers. RB.
Old 11-26-11, 09:31 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Bikes: 2010 Niner EMD, 2008 Surly Steamroller, 2007 Giant OCR.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrabyte
Sure, many bikes in the old days probably came from the store wrapped top to bottom. It's an easy way to wrap the bars, its efficient, etc. The Schwinn is a good example of that. The Cinelli on the other hand a bike of a different caliber and was not an everyman's bike. Serious riders develop their own preferred riding style, and as today, would wrap their bars in the way that suited them best. Still, I would bet if you bought the Cinelli fully built up and new back then, it was wrapped top to bottom with cloth tape. I'm just speculating on that.

If I was going to display the bike, I would wrap top to bottom, but if I was going to ride it it would be wrapped bottom to top with hemp cord wrap to finish it. Just because it's the way I like it YMMV
Not sure if you noticed previously in this thread, but this particular bike came with Cinelli bar caps, not plugs, that secure to the bar with a lip around the outside rather than plugging the inside. Therefore its basically impossible to secure the tape to the bottom of the bar with the caps unless your using a very thin tape. So tape or glue was needed, either at the bottom or the top. I figured the top, with a splash of red, would be a really nice and tasteful way to do it, rather than taping at the bottom.
Old 11-27-11, 01:22 PM
Bikedued

Liked 112 Times in 65 Posts
I got my cranks off! Found out through a quick search that my cranks were 22mm. I had my trusty octalink puller, and removed the center push fitting that makes it fit the larger hollow spindles. Voila, off it came. Wouldn't you know it though? TA bottom bracket, and the spindle has some deep galling on one end. I have not looked at the cups yet, but we'll see. Maybe a VO is in my immediate future.,,,,BD.

Right hand thread on both sides... Hmmm..