Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rivendell meets Orange County Choppers

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rivendell meets Orange County Choppers

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 06:34 PM
Snydermann
Lotus Monomaniac

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tru
it's just a prototype.
Al least, still worthy of 30 minutes additional time to abrasive blast it and apply a proper powder coat finish.
Old 12-07-11, 07:08 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Maddox
And your judmentalism and fear of criticism speak volumes about yourself....
LOL, what are your contributions to the state of the art? I can't imagine you're qualified to wipe his saddle, much less comment on his efforts.
Old 12-07-11, 07:11 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by XR2
Discuss. I think the slack economy has gotten to Grant. Or he ate some bad mushrooms.
Originally Posted by XR2
Like I said earlier I like him and the company....
how silly, it's as if he can't read his own posts. And he accuses Grant of being a drugger, nice!

Last edited by Mr IGH; 12-07-11 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 07:31 PM
jril

Bikes: Follis mixte, Raleigh USA Sports, Univega Nuovo Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Change gears with a stick? For $4500 no front derailleur? I guess I need to HTFU.
Old 12-07-11, 07:42 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
how silly, it's as if he can't read his own posts. And he accuses Grant of being a drugger, nice!
What did you edit? Got something to say out with it.
Old 12-07-11, 07:44 PM
tru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snydermann
Al least, still worthy of 30 minutes additional time to abrasive blast it and apply a proper powder coat finish.
it doesnt matter, man.

some people like it. and this isnt the first time a pre-production prototype Riv frame was presented without color.

im sure grant petersen can have it changed whenever he likes...if this frame doesnt just end up hanging up at Riv HQ (sounds like the frame is still being tweaked). their powdercoat guy is just down the street and they're "in" with joe bell. so, yeah, who cares?
Old 12-07-11, 08:11 PM
DMNHCAGrandPrix

Liked 99 Times in 24 Posts
the neat thing about the next 9 that have been pre-sold is that as part of the program—-the low price for a bike of this type—is that those guys (and one woman) don’t get to say whether they’d rather have a front derailer or the strap loops,
Neat! Right? Just $4500 for a bike, and the lucky buyers will be notified whether they get to shift with a derailleur, fingers, or a stick!

There was a time when Rivendell emphasized practical functionality in a bike. And now, extra tubes sprouting all over frames simply Grant thinks they look cool, strap loops on the frame where derailleurs should be, and a return to the simple times of stopping your bike and lifting the chain with your hands if you want to shift. To each their own, but wow. Just wow.
Old 12-07-11, 08:16 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
those that spent $4500 on it can ride it for 20 years, then sell it at a profit. they aren't so dumb.
Old 12-07-11, 08:37 PM
ColonelJLloyd

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Old 12-07-11, 08:41 PM
Snydermann
Lotus Monomaniac

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Personally, I don't care if Lance Armstrong held the torch while Eddy Merckx fed the welding rod, to me the final value is the quality of the final product, not who built it.

If you wanna spend $4500.00 to shift with a stick because someone says that's cool, more power to you.
Old 12-07-11, 08:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 4,042 Times in 2,753 Posts
Originally Posted by Snydermann
Perhaps they are making a statement, or going for a steampunk kind of look, but I think the finish makes the frame look cheap and poor quality.
they got a lot of positive response from the clear coated frame they had on their site. People love clear coated frames. Maybe it's from staring at too many frames, but I have never understood why. Speedvagen even had a clear coated frame with artificially created heat discoloration as their "surprise me" color a couple of years ago. I don't know if those are rusting, but a lot of people have tried it, and it usually doesn't stay rust-free for long
Old 12-11-11, 07:50 PM
BuckyYuen

Bikes: Terry Titania, Terry Classic, Riv Betty Foy, Riv A Homer Hilsen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If/when this becomes a production model, I think the complete bike cost will be around $2400. Grant made it clear that only about ten of the prototypes would be made, that these folks would have to pay $4500, and that they'd have to leave many decisions up to him. Those folks haven't been hurt by the economy, I'm guessing, and they wanted to satisfy their curiosity and support Riv's newest experiment. I don't live very far and he said anybody can come by and give it a ride... But I'm pretty short so I doubt if I can ride it. He also said it's mostly for flattish rides. When they have a production model in my size, I'll prob take one for a spin, but doubt I'd buy one since I have their mixte and single speed already... And this may be a little redundant.
Old 12-14-11, 05:59 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Apparently now it's called the "Bosco Rubbe":
https://rivbike.tumblr.com/post/13988...ne-for-a-while

https://www.flickr.com/photos/haircow...3/in/contacts/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/haircow...3/in/contacts/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/haircow...7/in/contacts/
Old 12-14-11, 06:02 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Liked 4,537 Times in 2,142 Posts
"Rosco Bubbe" wasn't good enough?

Why don't they just call it the "Flash Coltrane" with a basset hound as a headbadge? Only Dukes of Hazzard fanboys will understand that one.

-Kurt

Old 12-15-11, 04:15 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Roscoe was the best. No, Daisy was the best.
Old 12-15-11, 07:23 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
looks like a vintage mtb frame but with lower bottom bracket.
Old 12-15-11, 07:29 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Liked 30 Times in 15 Posts
Funny how a prototype frame get arouse so much indignation. Perhaps a field trip over to the Alt Bike forum would be useful in broadening our horizons beyond the level top tube. Meanwhile, some other bicycles that if new, would be heretical but since they are "Classic and Vintage" are hailed as being works of art.

Perhaps GP has been eyeing the bikes over at Inglis/Retrotec

https://ingliscycles.com/index.php

And Boss Hogg was the best character on "Dukes.."
Old 12-15-11, 07:39 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I tried to read the article, and all I kept thinking was I need the stuff that he smoked when he designed that stoner cruiser and wrote that funny english.
Old 12-15-11, 08:11 AM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tru
I think you're onto something. Every time I read RBW or IBOB, there's a post that goes something like "...they are good wheels, but next time I'll go with 36h since I'm about 295lbs." I guess even cyclists are obese these days. ...
Step over into Clydesdales and Athenas and you'll find 295 to be on the lighter end of the scale. Speaking as someone who is in that boat(currently at 6'4" and 285-ish lbs), cycling is a popular activity with folks trying to turn their weight around or just fend off type II diabetes. It's good exercise, aerobic, and easy on the knees if spinning properly. C&V bikes are attractive to larger folk because they are often made better and can hold the weight better than the newer stuff. Rigid mtn bikes are especially useful to people like me in that regard. The nice thing about big ole tires is you don't have to go patching them all the time, ...like I do when I ride my road bike.
Old 12-15-11, 09:47 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Liked 379 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
Funny how a prototype frame get arouse so much indignation. Perhaps a field trip over to the Alt Bike forum would be useful in broadening our horizons beyond the level top tube. Meanwhile, some other bicycles that if new, would be heretical but since they are "Classic and Vintage" are hailed as being works of art.

(images removed)

Perhaps GP has been eyeing the bikes over at Inglis/Retrotec

https://ingliscycles.com/index.php

And Boss Hogg was the best character on "Dukes.."
+1! That is exactly what I was thinking. I bet if this was a 1950's French frame we would all be trying to grasp the magic that it possess. I think Grant summed it up best when he said "You want “trad”? “Classic”? Hmm. I’ve been there, I know what it’s like. Now I want better."

Maybe it's not OUR idea of better, but he is exploring and that is admirable. Lots of inventors had some wacky ideas.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 12-15-11, 12:01 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Liked 238 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
wow

and nice glorified $5000 mixte
$4300, OR $5000, or whatever the very high price . . . . . . and I'm supposed to get my fingers (or shoetip) dirty swapping chainwheels? I don't think so.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 12-15-11, 12:37 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Liked 379 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
$4300, OR $5000, or whatever the very high price . . . . . . and I'm supposed to get my fingers (or shoetip) dirty swapping chainwheels? I don't think so.
Yeah, that is definitely a little to low-tech....but I think thr main purpose is to run it as a 1x something.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 12-15-11, 02:43 PM
Chris Chicago

Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
I think it's cool. a super nice cruiser. as the market and GP (and everyone) ages there may be a big demand for luxury cruiser bikes, cadillacs if you will. or maybe not but I don't begrudge him for trying. Also I like his writing usually and think he's entertaining.

His cult following is a little weird and he loses me on price but that's ok. I'm sure economics determines that mostly. I wonder if rivs were priced cheaply, if people wouldnt be so negative re this experiment. there is a price that I would spend on one, but not sure how low it would need to be.
Old 12-15-11, 05:49 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
if it weren't so expensive no one would be paying attention probably :-p

I think the middle tube is kinda ugly and overpower the curved bits at the end which are attractive. I feel like he should have gotten MORE creative, as nothing but the funky chainstays are original. I've got a 1x set up on my bike and I love it, but he better include some kind of chainkeeper for the $$!
Old 12-15-11, 09:11 PM
Smokinapankake

Liked 796 Times in 297 Posts
Meh. Who really cares? I can't afford one, and I can't see the sense in adding a bunch of tubes that are not necessary. If Grant or whoever wants to live in the past (and I say this with the slightest of twinges because I too live in the past with all but 2 of my bikes built before 1985) then more power to them. You or I or anyone else doesn't have to ride it or buy it so who cares?