Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do you know this bike? Or have any information about it?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Do you know this bike? Or have any information about it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-12, 03:36 PM
juri

Bikes: MTB Caloi Supra GS 93 (BR); MTB GTS M1 Advanced 2011 (BR); Speed Role Corsa 60 (BR)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Seypat, thank you for these information! Anything is very userful!
Old 01-24-12, 03:39 PM
juri

Bikes: MTB Caloi Supra GS 93 (BR); MTB GTS M1 Advanced 2011 (BR); Speed Role Corsa 60 (BR)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, seypat! The headbadge says Paris over and St Etienne under the Metropole word. Exactly that...

Now I need to find the pump that fits on the frame and start a quest to all the parts and acessories

Last edited by juri; 01-24-12 at 03:39 PM. Reason: word wrong written
Old 01-24-12, 04:32 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 4,778 Times in 1,809 Posts
Originally Posted by juri
OMG non-fixie!!! Since 1974 til now things changed a lot on that way!!!
I'm glad for the happy memories! When we go riding at night, sometimes we just go around there... Next time I'll remember of you!
I don't know there where you live, but here we go trough the city by night in a group twice a week, and our group sometimes has 80 bikers... It's funny...
When you come to Brazil, you are invited to come with us!
Thank you for the invitation, seems like a cool ride! I live in Holland these days and there are no cities of that magnitude around here. It might be a while before I'm back in São Paulo ...
Old 01-24-12, 05:12 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 807 Posts
Unworthy1, thank you! Now, how we can get Norris, pls? Could you ask him to see these pics? And if he knows something?
Norris is an occasional poster here, I'll try to PM him and direct him to this thread. If that doesn't work, he is a more frequent presence on the CR list, and there are other French experts there, too.
But, for now I'm with RHM: it sure seems like this has strong resemblance to the other Metropole pics, and the headbadge looks like it could match the holes in the head-tube, as well...I vote that it's a Metropole (until outvoted).

the CR list is a Google Group bulletin board hosted by Classic Rendezvous (www.classicrendezvous.com)
if you subscribe, I recommend having it sent in the "Digest" form, otherwise you get WAY too many emails!

Last edited by unworthy1; 01-24-12 at 05:36 PM. Reason: CR list info
Old 01-24-12, 05:29 PM
juri

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you again, unworthy1!

Sorry for my question, but... what does CR mean?
Old 01-24-12, 05:40 PM
Kanegon

Bikes: Topstone, Chisel, 930, Facet

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Do the shifters say Huret on the collar? Had a very similar looking set on my mid 70s Raleigh. Would fit he timing in terms of when your husband got it and did the partial drivetrain update.

I think CR stands for Campy Record. (NOT APPARENTLY)

Last edited by Kanegon; 01-24-12 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-24-12, 06:17 PM
Chilero

Bikes: 78 Gios Super Record, 74 Colnago Super, 54 Hetchins Vade Mecum, 50's Royal Nord Commander, 67 Atala Record, 80s Univega Italsport.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you again, unworthy1!

Sorry for my question, but... what does CR mean?
CR significa Classic Rendezvous, é um grupo dedicado de coletores e de entusiastas da bicicleta do vintage.

-Carlos
Old 01-24-12, 06:26 PM
Chilero

Bikes: 78 Gios Super Record, 74 Colnago Super, 54 Hetchins Vade Mecum, 50's Royal Nord Commander, 67 Atala Record, 80s Univega Italsport.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sua bicicleta é muito similar a meu Payan, uma bicicleta francesa. Eja esta ligação:
https://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o...s_bikes/Payan/

-Carlos
Old 01-24-12, 09:46 PM
Chilero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just did a careful comparison between my Payan and Juri's bike. While there are certain similarities I do not think the unknown bicycle is a Payan, the builder merely used similar lugs.

Juri, você pode querer afixar sua pergunta a este fórum em Portugal. Parece-me que o português importou muitas bicicletas britânicas ou peças da bicicleta britânicas.
https://forum.amigosdaspasteleiras.com/

-Carlos
Old 01-24-12, 11:04 PM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
May I put this thread forward as an entry into any 'Best Thread Ever' competition that might be held in the years to come?

This is fantastic! We have an obscure survivor bicycle presented to us by a Junior Member in a country not often represented here, we are shown great photos taken in the early stages of the machine's restoration, more knowledgable members sharing their thoughts and bringing their experience to bear on figuring out what the machine might be, reminiscences of streets in the OP's (that's you, juri - the Original Poster) city, offers of hospitality, links to other interesting site and even some Portuguese in the thread.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Everybody. For me, this is one of the main delights of C&V.

Lovely bike, juri. I shall be following this thread all the way.
Old 01-25-12, 02:13 PM
juri

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Realmente parecidas... com algumas diferenças...

Chilero, não pude retornar a sua MP porque eu ainda não tenho mensagens o suficiente para responder... Preciso de 50 mensagens.
Muito obrigada, tentarei esses contatos que você sugere!
Old 01-25-12, 02:19 PM
juri

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chilero
I just did a careful comparison between my Payan and Juri's bike. While there are certain similarities I do not think the unknown bicycle is a Payan, the builder merely used similar lugs.

-Carlos
Chilero, your bike is wonderful! Full of details... really reaaly beautiful... Do you intend to paint it or keep it as is? Thank you for all of you for all directions.
Old 01-25-12, 02:28 PM
juri

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dawes-man
May I put this thread forward as an entry into any 'Best Thread Ever' competition that might be held in the years to come?
Hi Dawes-man!
I´m so glad that you are enjoying this thread! And here goes the same invitation for you... when you come to Brazil, come to a night ride with us!

Sure you can put the thread forward, be my guest!

I promise to keep you informed of all we discover in this quest.
Old 01-25-12, 03:20 PM
Chilero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chilero, your bike is wonderful! Full of details... really reaaly beautiful... Do you intend to paint it or keep it as is? Thank you for all of you for all directions.
I'm keeping it exactly as it is. Let us know if/when you are certain of the origins of your bike. I have another interesting bike about which I know very little, perhaps you can help. The brand is "Garota"... but not "de Ipanema"
The previous owner inherited the bicycle in 1955 from a Portuguese gentleman in New York. I have enquired from a few acquaintances in Portugal, including with the Amigos das Pasteleiras but the consensus is that it is not a Portuguese brand. I also received an email from a Brazilian collector and he says he's never heard of it. When i was in Brazil a couple of years ago I saw an exhibit at an airport, I think it was in Manaus, titled "100 years of bicycles" or bicycling, I don't remember. There were all kinds of bicycles and plenty of representation by Caloi (Brazil's national brand, for those who don't know).
It is interesting that it has a mix of French components, and it has a Portuguese saddle. Here is the link to photographs of my Garota:
https://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o..._bikes/Garota/
Old 01-27-12, 07:13 PM
juri

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Chilero,
I want to thank you, I sent a message to those people you told me are colectors. Now let's wait...
Old 01-28-12, 04:53 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 4,778 Times in 1,809 Posts
This is a cool headbadge! It points to the sheer functionality of this bike: to travel quickly to the real joys in a man's life. They are there! Waiting for you! Can't be anything else than Brazilian.

Old 01-28-12, 07:02 AM
juri

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I forgot to mention....
the frame is a large one, 60 cm!!! I measured it yesterday
Old 01-28-12, 07:14 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Very nice bicycle, extremely elegant. Glad you're restoring it!
Old 01-30-12, 08:19 AM
dpuboc
Diarmuid BOC

Bikes: 1936 Claud Butler "Road Path", 1954 Claud Butler"Ambassador"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Juri,

I'm a Newbie too and may well be way out of my depth. I only have two vintage bikes. Both are Claud Butlers, One an Ambassador from the mid 50s. I had to study the catalogues to identify the exact model, thankfully the Claud Butler decals were still visible, and a clear frame number on the bottom bracket. However the width of your tube where the badge was once riveted is the same as my Ambassador. The top of your forks are identical. The lug design is the same as the 1956 catalogue "Apirant" of "Cavalier" model.
I draw your attention to the centre detail No(4) lug design:

https://homepage.ntlworld.com/nkilgar...meFeatures.jpg

from this catalogue:

https://homepage.ntlworld.com/nkilgar...CB1956_Cat.htm

The only big difference is the cable clip upon my bottom bracket a single open tube not the two loops as detailed in the french bike above. I have to agree that the French lugs at this point are also identical to my CB, so its quite possible CB's lugs weren't as unique as he claims. I wonder if all CB's have a grease nipple on the bottom bracket? If so that might sort the question?

The options for parts are explained for each model. The only part I recognise as being original to your frame is the CB headset, which again is identical to mine. Most of your other parts are 20 years younger ( I cant see the pedals), as are mine.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/byronoc...7629089937477/

Hope this doesn't set the cat among the pidgeons with the senior members, I'm here to learn.

Last edited by dpuboc; 01-30-12 at 08:41 AM. Reason: noticed a possible difference.
Old 01-30-12, 08:35 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
I think dpuboc has nailed it. I know very little about Claud Butler but my first thought when I saw juri's bike had GB bars and stem was that it must be English. I don't think I've heard of bikes on the Continent having English components, just the other way round.
Old 01-30-12, 11:54 AM
dpuboc
Diarmuid BOC

Bikes: 1936 Claud Butler "Road Path", 1954 Claud Butler"Ambassador"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is the clip I mean note also the oil nipple cap..

You got me searching and despite the many variants to each Claud Butler within a model layout , cycles often being made to order from many variables, I found a Cavalier just sold on ebay and the seat stem lug is different.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1807923079...#ht_800wt_1416

My Ambassador is different again. So my last English hope is an Aspirant.
Old 01-30-12, 03:18 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 807 Posts
it wouldn't jibe with what appears to be metric main tubes (assuming those measurements were as accurate as they appeared). The CB headbadge also takes 2 vertically placed rivets, maybe the OP can measure between the holes. The real clue will be to determine the BB threading especially the fixed cup behind that Stronglight (FR) crank.
The OP posted her own (nicely worded) inquiry to the CR list after I'd done one on her behalf...she got zero (public) replies...kind of a shame given the huge brain trust of that list
EDIT: No I spoke too soon, I just got my Digest of the CR list and she has one public reply, but he asks for more "dimension/threading" info like I have done, too...

Last edited by unworthy1; 01-30-12 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-30-12, 03:32 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Someone mentioned that the derailleur wasn't orginal. What strikes me is that it appears to be a primitive slant-parallelogram derailleur. That means an early Suntour, or perhaps an inexpensive one.
Old 01-30-12, 05:39 PM
juri

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi people! Hope you've got a great weekend riding or restoring your bikes

Unworthy1 thank you for your kind words...

Dpuboc it's really impressive the similarity from the lug design 4. The other parts were replaced by my husb when he was 14... without any technic... for sure... Kids just want to ride, and as fast as possible...

Dawes-man, probably that's why you see GB parts, some french parts and even brazilian parts. Here in Brazil there is a brazilian brand: CALOI. And Caloi had a Caloi 10 very similar to these bikes, not equal I must say. So some replacement parts were bought from this brand, such as back derailleur... and the bike became an obscure mistery...

About the rivets I asked to husb to go there and measure it with the caliber... Well, he went there and took another pic for us...
As you can see he tried to take this pic from the center of the hole, and it measures 40 mm. Does it help?

Old 01-31-12, 10:55 AM
juri

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dear friends...

I want to share some good new information with you...
We sent bike to sandblasting today...It just arrived right now!

1st. We found serial number on it! 118 8 and above it there is the number 81... And only 118 to the fork
2nd. under the blue paint coat there is a mark RGF within an oval.
3rd. its original color was "green lettuce", you can see a little bit of this green on the lung detail...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
31012012462.jpg (93.8 KB, 61 views)
31012012469b.jpg (95.9 KB, 58 views)
31012012468b.jpg (92.4 KB, 65 views)
31012012468.jpg (92.6 KB, 59 views)
31012012469.jpg (95.0 KB, 56 views)
31012012467.jpg (89.8 KB, 55 views)
31012012465.jpg (96.0 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by juri; 01-31-12 at 11:08 AM. Reason: photos confused
Likes For juri:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.