Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Going Tubeless: Any tips to help get the bead to stay against the rim?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Going Tubeless: Any tips to help get the bead to stay against the rim?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 02:38 PM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Larger diameter hose and hole. From what I read the biggest mistake is not having enough VOLUME of air going in.....not to be confused with higher pressure.
Have you watched the Stan's videos?
Old 02-02-12, 04:48 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
Larger diameter hose and hole. From what I read the biggest mistake is not having enough VOLUME of air going in.....not to be confused with higher pressure.
Right and the answer is removable valve cores.
Old 02-02-12, 05:03 PM
cryptid01
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
I have - watching Stan himself struggle with the install is what convinced me to stick with tubes on mtb.

Originally Posted by corvuscorvax
So let me get this straight. On BF, you can say "bukkake" without getting censored, but not "**** sapiens".

Really.
+rep
Old 02-02-12, 06:45 PM
corvuscorvax
Gone.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lindenwood
This would be the first review I've seen stating or even implying that tubeless setup with a good sealer is just as prone to ride-stopping flats as a standard tubed setup. So are you saying I wouldn't get any fewer flats by going tubeless?
Dunno. I'm not sure what a "ride stopping flat" is.

In any case, I think what pablo was trying to get across is that it doesn't make much sense spend money to trade in a perfectly functional tubed wheelset for a crappy tubeless wheelset. If you want tubeless, cool. Do it right.
Old 02-02-12, 07:22 PM
Lindenwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My only question then is what makes it crappy other than not being purpose-built to run tubeless? Being more difficult to initially air up won't affect how it works on the trails. Other than being judged for it being "ghetto," and facing a potentially more difficult install, what would be the drawback of running tubeless?
Old 02-02-12, 09:04 PM
scrublover
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the other help in the world won't mean crap if you don't have the rim bed built up enough with tape.

I'm running 50/50 on ghetto setup vs. UST rims on my bikes at the moment. Whenever a ghetto setup rim blows apart, it'll get replaced with a UST/Stan's or something tubeless specific rim.

My ghetto setups ARE running UST tires though. Less muss, less fuss. Barely any sealant in them - just enough to lubricate the install. IMO, way better than doing it with regular tires, and worth the weight penalty.

It's not a thorn issue around here, but pinch flats. Running smaller tires with less pressure than I was before, and having way, way fewer "unwanted air loss from tires while riding" moments.

Last edited by scrublover; 02-02-12 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-03-12, 07:06 PM
Lindenwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never got it to seal, and ended up just adding a few oz of sealant (a Slime / Latex / Antifreeze home brew) to my tubes by cutting a ~pencil-sized hole in the tube itself and simply patching them. I cut the holes along the outside center so the patches are pressed most directly into the inside of the tire.

So far they seem to be holding air (I haven't taken it for an actual ride though), and this might be the best of both worlds (for me): The simple install of a tubed setup, with the flat-resistance of a sealant-filled tubeless setup. Since the latter was really my whole motivation, I have high hopes this will work out.

I did find the thorn hole that gave me my second flat, though. The hole was tiny so having sealant in there should have allowed me to easily keep riding without worry.

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 02-03-12, 08:40 PM
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Lindenwood
I never got it to seal, and ended up just adding a few oz of sealant (a Slime / Latex / Antifreeze home brew) to my tubes by cutting a ~pencil-sized hole in the tube itself and simply patching them. I cut the holes along the outside center so the patches are pressed most directly into the inside of the tire.

So far they seem to be holding air (I haven't taken it for an actual ride though), and this might be the best of both worlds (for me): The simple install of a tubed setup, with the flat-resistance of a sealant-filled tubeless setup. Since the latter was really my whole motivation, I have high hopes this will work out.

I did find the thorn hole that gave me my second flat, though. The hole was tiny so having sealant in there should have allowed me to easily keep riding without worry.

Thanks for all the advice!
Next time, just pull the valve stem and pour the stuff in. There's no reason to compromise your tube by puncturing it.
Old 02-03-12, 08:54 PM
Lindenwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My tubes don't have removable valve cores, which is actually the whole reason I decided to go tubeless in the first place. I later read about injecting sealant directly through a hole in the tube and decided to try that instead.
Old 02-04-12, 01:07 PM
C Law
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
Right and the answer is removable valve cores.
this