Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

buiding a mountain bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

buiding a mountain bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-05, 09:31 PM
Qbigfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
buiding a mountain bike

Ok....I have looked on previous threads and didn't find the answer. I want to get some feedback on this. I have run across several good deals on mountain bike frames on ebay. My question it....how difficult would it be to buy the parts separately and to put it together myself? I have some knowledge of tools and could use it as a hobby. I have owned several mountain bikes...Cannondale, Specialized, Iron Horse....I used to ride very frequently....got out of it...now I want back in!!! I am going to get back in....but this is holding me back...If I get too many negatives....I will shell out the 500 smacks or more to get a new specialized that I have been eye ballin'!

Am I an idiot for thinking like this....would I be saving or spending more money?

Thanks in advance....don't worry about offending me...I can take it!

Qbigfish

Wishin I was fishin!
Old 07-19-05, 09:58 PM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I assuming you know the size etc you will need, since you have ridden before. It is not all that difficult and can be a fun experience. Now the drawback is it will cost you more most likely. YOu will get exactly what you want on the bike and do not have to make the compromises of buying the specialized. But most likely you will end up spending more money.

I built up 4 of my bikes so far, bought my first used road bike then built up a mtb, two track bikes and a road bike to date. Actualy 5 forgot I built one up for my son.
Old 07-20-05, 12:23 AM
phidauex
Spoked to Death

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz w/ Alfine 8, Specialized Fuse Pro 27.5+, Surly 1x1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its fun to build up bikes. If you shop for parts on ebay and look for sales at performance and use 20% coupons you can do things very cheaply. However, it takes TIME, and you run the risk of buying the wrong part and having to make returns, or ending up with three cranksets or something.

The thing that will kill you isn't the big parts, its the tiny stuff, seat binder bolts, grips, cables, rim strips, etc. Its amazing how that stuff adds up... Tools will cost a lot too, but those can be used time and time again.

I'd say go for it. Its fun, and you'll end up with a bike thats just right.

peace,
sam
Old 07-20-05, 07:53 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Liked 30 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by phidauex
Its fun to build up bikes. If you shop for parts on ebay and look for sales at performance and use 20% coupons you can do things very cheaply. However, it takes TIME, and you run the risk of buying the wrong part and having to make returns, or ending up with three cranksets or something.

The thing that will kill you isn't the big parts, its the tiny stuff, seat binder bolts, grips, cables, rim strips, etc. Its amazing how that stuff adds up... Tools will cost a lot too, but those can be used time and time again.

I'd say go for it. Its fun, and you'll end up with a bike thats just right.

peace,
sam
I'm rebuilding my Waterford 1200 basically off of ebay and discount parts. Check out my post on the frame. https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=117141

I'm just a few parts short of putting it together. I have to get the frame prepped now and then I will start to put together the bike. If I can do it anyone can.

Tim
Old 07-20-05, 08:30 PM
Qbigfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the info guys!
Old 07-21-05, 02:42 PM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may want to have the headset pressed in and the bb\crank installed in a shop.
Requires special tools. Also not points you want to screw up bad.

My mech would charge me say $50 for the 2 services.
The rest is do-able with a metric hex key set and a set of wrenches.

https://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml
https://sheldonbrown.com/articles.html Mr Browns site, between these 2 you can figure most anything.

Oh and the assembly of the cluster onto the freewheel body requires a chainwhip and lockring tool

Last edited by jeff williams; 07-21-05 at 03:02 PM.