Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

What the h*** is wrong with me? Weighed my first bike part tonight

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 11:50 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

OK, I confess. I stopped by the local Harbor Freight tonight and shelled out my $12 for a little 1000 gram scale to weigh parts on. See, I'm putting the DH bike on a diet for this season, with the goal of losing a couple or three pounds (or more) if I can do it without breaking the bank. Bonus points if it comes off unsprung weight.

My plan is to: lace lighter rims on my hubs and try butted (gasp!) spokes; replacing my inverted fork with a right-side-up model; swapping out my Stroker Ace 4-pots for the new Primes; trying a 2.35 tire on the rear (plan to keep my 2.5 Excavator up front doing the important work); shopping Ti springs for the RC4; and putting my minimalist Sunline saddle back on.

So then I get this added stroke of genius - - the cassette. But of course! My PG970 DH (11-26), with its two solid big cogs, is a pig: tips the scales at 322.8g; my new PG 950 11-26 is a svelt 223.5g. I know there are super-weenie road cassettes like Ultegras and such that are even less but gawd this was a cheap fix. What the hell is wrong with me? This weight-saving thing is turning into a sickness.
Old 02-16-12, 01:50 AM
3speed

Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Give that scale to some nonsense roadie you know before you get yourself into a bunch of senseless, expensive trouble. This isn't going to go anywhere good or cost you less than hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a difference that may not even really happen. Of course you'll notice it in your head, but whether it really exists can only be measured from many rides on the course, after which you would have gotten better times anyway from that practice and being in better shape anyway from the extra practice. If you ask yourself and keep it plain and simple, I think you know the correct answer to this problem. Don't do it, man!
Old 02-16-12, 09:17 AM
Pete In Az

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new around here, so I could be wrong but...

Doesn't DH stand for down hill? And if so, wouldn't you want a bit more weight?
Old 02-16-12, 10:20 AM
samburger
Redheaded Stepchild

Bikes: A fat tire & a skinny tire & two others I loaned out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the dollar spent/gram lost ratio works for you, I say go for it, but set a ratio standard before you start shopping & stick to it. Having a ~32# XC bike, weight doesn't really bother me. Then again, I don't compete
Old 02-16-12, 10:36 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete In Az
Doesn't DH stand for down hill? And if so, wouldn't you want a bit more weight?
Actually, light is good - - even for downhill; and you're always having to wrestle compromises between durability and weight. But light parts are so much stronger any more that DH bikes are trrending toward the 40# and below mark. There is no way I'm going to get that low; but I've always erred on the side of stout and think I can reasonably shave a little and make the bike a bit less of a plow.

Originally Posted by samburger
If the dollar spent/gram lost ratio works for you, I say go for it, but set a ratio standard before you start shopping & stick to it. Having a ~32# XC bike, weight doesn't really bother me. Then again, I don't compete
I'm certainly not afraid of a little weight - - shucks, my FS "trail bike" weighs nearly 40# and the DJ is 31 or 32. My actual shopping isn't going to be that much: have the Hayes Primes (thank you Hayes!) in a box awaiting me to finish my wheel-lacing job; have the Syncros DS32 rims awaiting spokes (thanks to Nate at Ritchey) and the fork (courtesy of RST). About the biggest expense is going to be the Ti spring. No matter the brand, they all run close to $300. I'm leaning toward an RCS unless I can find a source for K9 steel springs (which are almost ti weight).
Old 02-16-12, 10:48 AM
samburger
Redheaded Stepchild

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Doesn't sounds too bad...how much weight will that take off the race bike (if you're allowed to tell, that is)
Old 02-16-12, 11:15 AM
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next thing you know, you'll be spending 95% of your cycling time on a road bike but still hanging around the moutain bike forum for a few laughs and wise ass remarks.
Old 02-16-12, 11:41 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
$12 for a scale, thanks for the heads up, HF here I come. The wife gets pissy when I weigh pedals and tires on the office postal scale. Sometimes some grease gets on a letter or package. SHEESH, like what's up with that?

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 02-16-12, 12:19 PM
samburger
Redheaded Stepchild

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I weigh my bike on a needlepoint bathroom scale. It's somewhere between 30-33#, tending to rest most solidly at 32. I may never know what it really weighs & I kind of enjoy that.
Old 02-16-12, 01:59 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wouldn't say there'd be much of a durability issue with a guy your size, D. You could probably do DH on an AM rig.
Old 02-16-12, 06:20 PM
Dilberto

Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
DH bike on a diet? What part of your body do you wanna break first?
Old 02-16-12, 09:37 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Dilberto
DH bike on a diet? What part of your body do you wanna break first?
You mean break again?

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 02-16-12, 10:54 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh ohhh, what's next??

Last edited by dminor; 02-16-12 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-16-12, 11:00 PM
lubes17319
Chronic 1st-timer

Bikes: ...take me places.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^ Golden!
Old 02-16-12, 11:40 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Sometimes some grease gets on a letter or package. SHEESH, like what's up with that?
Really. You're sending it to truckers anyway, right? Tell her it's demographic-appropriate package-graphics .

Originally Posted by Daspydyr
You mean break again?
Haha! I am kinda running out of unscathed real estate, huh? That is one underlying goal to everything this year - - a clean, injury-free season.

Weird Zeph: I can't see the pic. Coding looks OK and other see it; I had to open the post, copy the URL and look at it in another window. Haha, BTW.

Last edited by dminor; 02-16-12 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-17-12, 10:41 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You know what they say about dudes with scales.

It's an addiction.
Old 02-18-12, 10:34 AM
gbg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weight weenie thing is addictive. I probably wouldn't notice an
extra lb or 2 on any of my bikes, mostly XC type riding, but getting them low weight is fun.
I know it makes a huge difference riding up hill though. I keep my bikes in the basement and carrying
my full suspension 24ish lb bike up the stairs is quite easy.
I tuned up a friends super cheap low end steel MTB for him and when I tried to carry it up
the stairs it seemed like 100lbs. I thought if must be 40+ lbs but I weighed it and it was only 37.
I was really surprised what that 13-14lbs added to the effort of carrying it up a flight of stairs.
Old 02-18-12, 12:36 PM
samburger
Redheaded Stepchild

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't tell a difference between lifting my 25# rigid & my 32# FS. I can lose 5# by cutting desserts out for 2 weeks & 2# on the jon. Both of those are easier & cheaper than bike parts
Old 02-18-12, 04:12 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gbg
The weight weenie thing is addictive. I probably wouldn't notice an
extra lb or 2 on any of my bikes, mostly XC type riding, but getting them low weight is fun.
I know it makes a huge difference riding up hill though. I keep my bikes in the basement and carrying
my full suspension 24ish lb bike up the stairs is quite easy.
I tuned up a friends super cheap low end steel MTB for him and when I tried to carry it up
the stairs it seemed like 100lbs. I thought if must be 40+ lbs but I weighed it and it was only 37.
I was really surprised what that 13-14lbs added to the effort of carrying it up a flight of stairs.
It's going to be embarassing when you win that xc race and your arms are so wimpy you can't even lift the bike over your head!
Old 02-21-12, 12:30 AM
never
Custom User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Atta boy D, that pig really needs to lose some weight!!