Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Narrower bars?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Narrower bars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 12:09 PM
sqharaway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Narrower bars?

Hey folks,

I'm considering getting a set of narrower bars so I'm fishing for advice from people who may have done this themselves. I've noticed that when I'm tucked in an aero position (or as close to one as I can manage) my hands are naturally on the inside of the hoods. Likewise, I'm most comfortable in the drops with my wrists shifted to the inside. So, it seems like I'm having to adjust my position to the bars, rather than experiencing a perfect fit.

What do you think? Does anyone have some sort of metric for determining the ideal width of bars?

Thanks!
Old 02-27-12, 12:20 PM
pityr

Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How wide are your shoulders and how often do you go climbing hills? You can always try it out and see how it feels. I've had a 42 before and prefer the 44.
Old 02-27-12, 12:36 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did this, not on purpose. I rode a 42 center to center. Upgraded to nice carbon m35's size 42... Didn't notice they are marketed as 42 outside to outside. So im riding 40's now...im enjoying the ride so far, the handling is snapier, i feel better on sprints. But really, i just need to get better at riding, loose 15 pounds and THEN look for this tiny details that seem impotant on the forum. But go almost unnoticed in reality.

For example. I should be riding 44's specially because on climbs i could enjoy better breathing... In reality this small detail has nothing on the fact that i weigh an entire bike more than i should. Plus my partners are REALLY GOOD climbers. No placebo will change the facts.

Still if you have $$$ do whatever it takes to enjoy riding, it wont hurt.

Ps. Sorry for all the spelling errors

Last edited by echotraveler; 02-27-12 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-27-12, 12:38 PM
Ultraslide

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 99 Specialized Stumpjumer, 08 LeMond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My shoulders measure 43mm so my fitter left me with the 44mm bars I already had. Eventually I built a new bike and bought 42s and I am happier with the 42s. I'd probably go wider if I were a sprinter or for a cross frame, for the extra leverage.
Old 02-27-12, 12:38 PM
tardman91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At my pro fitting they sized me down on my bars from the stock 44 to 42. I was surprised because I'm a really large guy at 6'3", 250lbs. I would have never thought that I would need narrower bars, but they are much more comfortable. They are also a compact drop as well.
Old 02-27-12, 12:43 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Perfect fit is a moving target.

I like wider bars when I'm not riding hard. I used to laboriously switch to wider bars in the fall so I could train all winter while pretending I was some Grand Tour contender on the mountains. To put things in perspective I thought a 46cm c-c bar was a bit wide. I rode a 44cm bar for a long time and I considered 42 cm "narrow".

My reality is that I do crits and wide bars don't help in a tight crit. What I end up doing is going as narrow as I can. I find that a 41 cm c-c bar is about the limit. A 40 cm didn't feel quite right.

As it is people make comment on the 41s as being pretty narrow for me.
Old 02-27-12, 02:33 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm 6' with narrow shoulders and anything bigger than a 40mm CTC and I feel like a tripod. In fact, two of my vintage bikes have 38cm CTC (which was very common back in the day) and they feel just as good.
Old 02-27-12, 02:44 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
This is probably one of those "depends" kind of issues. I'm 5'8", 175lbs. With a narrower bar (42) my hands were always falling sleep. With my new wider bars (44) my hands never fall asleep. Felt weird at first, but it is so much more comfortable now.
Old 02-27-12, 02:56 PM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
chris hoy checks in at 33cm for the aero.

α
Old 02-27-12, 03:14 PM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try wider. Try narrower. Keep the ones you like. That's the metric.
Old 02-27-12, 04:13 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a set of 40 3T ergonova Pro (the alloy ones) bars for the last 8 months or so. They are too small for me, so they are going up for sale in the next day or so. I've switched to the same bars, but in a 44 width.. With the ergonovas, i didn't realize that they are size 40 (or 44) only at the widest part of the drops. On the hoods, they are about a 38, so when I went from a 42 in the OEM Cannondale bars, to the 40 3T bars, I was actually dropping two sizes. Anyway, the 44's fit me. Want my 40's?
Old 02-27-12, 11:42 PM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
5'11" and I use 40's. Works great for me.
Old 02-28-12, 09:14 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
6'0" with broad shoulders, long arms, long fingers. I can't do narrow bars for a variety of reasons. My MTB bars are 670mm wide which is wider than almost everyone else I see on technical singletrack. (No DH bikes in Kansas.)

Currently riding 44cm FSA SL-K bars on my roadie and I love them. They're my first carbon bars and the way they have tamed the cobblestones and bumps in my neighborhood makes me think hard about putting carbon on the MTB too.

Anyway, mmmdonuts nailed it. Start with your shoulder width and experiment... one thing I really hated about narrow bars is when I'm in the drops it is not comfortable to spread my arms to give my knees clearance, and then come back in on the bars. With a wider bar my arms are in a much more natural position to the drops with a generous elbow bend.
Old 02-28-12, 01:22 PM
Dilberto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
My shoulders are 42cm but I ride with 40cm bars simply because I like that semi-aero hand position(elbows closer together) on fast flats. YMMV...
Old 02-28-12, 08:36 PM
karenashg

Bikes: 198? Colnago, 2010 Jamis Quest, 2013 Wabi Classic 46x18

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sqharaway
Hey folks,

I'm considering getting a set of narrower bars so I'm fishing for advice from people who may have done this themselves. I've noticed that when I'm tucked in an aero position (or as close to one as I can manage) my hands are naturally on the inside of the hoods. Likewise, I'm most comfortable in the drops with my wrists shifted to the inside. So, it seems like I'm having to adjust my position to the bars, rather than experiencing a perfect fit.

What do you think? Does anyone have some sort of metric for determining the ideal width of bars?

Thanks!
My hands and wrists were doing the same thing, naturally coming to the inside of the bars. I switched to the next size narrower, and suddenly it felt like the bars were just there under my hands. My first time in the drops I let out a big "ahhh" of satisfaction. I am much happier on my bike now.
Old 02-29-12, 08:14 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
No substitute for trial and error. Many like the increased hand room on a wider bar and in particular the leverage of a wider bar when climbing out of the saddle. But...a wider bar can be more uncomfortable to many and you will catch more air when riding along.
I dismiss the width the shoulder thing as well. Choosing the proper bar width is simply preference...like choosing a saddle...and that includes top of bars and hook shape...even flex of the bar matters to me as well...I like the comfortable flex of the FSA K wing compact.