Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Swiss, planet X, CNC brake calipers.....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-12, 06:24 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whats the benefit of these over an ultegra or sram set? Better/stronger?
Old 03-06-12, 06:27 PM
Nerull

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lighter. That's it. They will generally not be as strong, especially if they are single pivot.
Old 03-06-12, 07:18 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The benefit is that they're lighter. I haven't ridden them but they are unlikely to be stronger than Ultegra or DA brakes, which are generally considered the best for braking strength and modulation.
Old 03-06-12, 09:48 PM
dleccord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do you even know what modulation means
Old 03-06-12, 09:56 PM
Nils

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dleccord
do you even know what modulation means
No, please explain.
Old 03-06-12, 09:59 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Please, define "stronger". How are DA or Ultegra stronger? Are they more prone to breakage vis-a-vis DA or Ultegra?
Old 03-06-12, 10:03 PM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Please, define "stronger". How are DA or Ultegra stronger? Are they more prone to breakage vis-a-vis DA or Ultegra?
Stronger as in stopping power.
Old 03-06-12, 11:41 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Originally Posted by Nerull
Lighter. That's it. They will generally not be as strong, especially if they are single pivot.
The CNC and Planet-X brakes are dual pivot design. Which still begs question...how can anyone surmise that one brand will be "stronger" than the other without proper testing?

Last edited by tagaproject6; 03-06-12 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-06-12, 11:49 PM
fatallightning
Cat 666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The CNC and Planet-X brakes are dual pivot design. Which still begs question...how can anyone surmise that one brand will be "stronger" than the other without proper testing?
They're actually single pivot with a variable ratio cam. Much the same like new Sram Red.
Old 03-07-12, 12:02 AM
Broid

Bikes: Parlee Altum R, 85 Eddy Merckx Professional

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just put a set on my Evo, so far so good. Very light and great stopping power on Boyd 38 CC's. Tested stopping power on a 40mph descent and it was fine...just had them fine tuned at my LBS after my installation, so more testing tomorrow...
Old 03-07-12, 12:09 AM
tagaproject6

Originally Posted by fatallightning
They're actually single pivot with a variable ratio cam. Much the same like new Sram Red.
That is interesting...are cam pivot designs weaker than dual pivot? I have been on the fence about getting these myself, but the only thing keeping me would be the centering issue as some members here observed when they put them on their bikes. I haven't heard them being referred to as weaker, though. That is why I am curious.

Last edited by tagaproject6; 03-07-12 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-07-12, 12:36 AM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't had the chance to ever use Ultegra, but I'll let you know my impressions about it by next week. I got them in Gold and they're gorgeous.

Just in case anyone's curious: the PX USA calipers do come with SwissStops. I read somewhere that the ones from UK dont.
Old 03-07-12, 01:38 AM
max power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
word of warning: Planet-X brakes (and most aftermarket lightweight brakes) don't work with wide rim wheels

they don't open as much as normal calipers
Old 03-07-12, 02:16 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Mechanical advantage. Those CNC'd brakes also tend to get a lot of crap in between all the crevices that were cnc'ed out.
Old 03-07-12, 06:07 AM
bobones

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Biscayne05
Haven't had the chance to ever use Ultegra, but I'll let you know my impressions about it by next week. I got them in Gold and they're gorgeous.

Just in case anyone's curious: the PX USA calipers do come with SwissStops. I read somewhere that the ones from UK dont.
Got the gold PXs in UK, and you're right, no Swiss Stop pads for me. Not too bothered to be honest. Generally impressed with them: stopping power is fine, but the clamping mechanism seems to be the weak spot as the fixing bolt needs to be really tight to avoid cable slippage when pulling hard. Centering adjustment with grub screw is more than adequate. I suppose the only real benefits are weight and choice of colours. Here's mine fitted.

Old 03-07-12, 09:26 AM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's beautiful man. I love how you "snuck" in the gold calipers in there. Any chance you'd have more gold in your bike?

I'm getting "Gold member" built soon That's what I would call her.
Old 03-07-12, 10:17 AM
bobones

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Subtle, aren't they? I'll probably get a new gold KMC chain as this one is a looking grubby and is due for replacement, but that's about it. Was thinking of getting the PX Ti skewers in gold, and I some saw some gold Jagwire cables too that were tempting, but I think I'll stick with white for now.

I used to have a Raleigh Record Sprint in the 80s which was black with gold logos, levers, cables, calipers and chainset (something like this one but mine had all gold chainset). I even had gold coloured ESGE chromoplastic mudguards on it which were hot
Old 03-07-12, 10:48 AM
tagaproject6

Originally Posted by Biscayne05

Awesome. Can you please verify if they are indeed an asspain to center and calibrate?
Old 03-07-12, 12:25 PM
weaver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome. Can you please verify if they are indeed an asspain to center and calibrate?
They're not. If anybody can slip an open ended wrench behind the caliper and turn it a 1/16"-1/4" to center the caliper, then you're good. Takes seconds.

This is how all road brakes used to be, seems strange to me that this is now forgotten knowledge.
Old 03-07-12, 06:56 PM
slynkie
negligent.

Bikes: a few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by max power
word of warning: Planet-X brakes (and most aftermarket lightweight brakes) don't work with wide rim wheels

Incorrect. I just got a set of new Boyd Vitesse wheels (23mm wide), my planet-x brakes work perfectly fine with them.
Old 03-07-12, 09:30 PM
SebastionMerckx
Bastion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use them with A23 wheels so I would say you are wrong.
Old 03-07-12, 10:36 PM
max power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how much clearance did you have? right out of the box i coudnt even slip them over my wheels (soul 3.0 wide 24mm)
Old 03-07-12, 11:10 PM
SebastionMerckx
Bastion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how much clearance did you have? right out of the box i coudnt even slip them over my wheels (soul 3.0 wide 24mm)
I had more than enough right out of the box. At least 3-4 mm on each side.
Old 03-07-12, 11:48 PM
max power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very odd, i emailed planet-x told them about the issue and they said they'd take it back no questions asked, i just figured it was an known and accepted issue . . .wonder whats going on, mind posting pictures of your setup?
Old 03-08-12, 12:26 AM
Broid

Bikes: Parlee Altum R, 85 Eddy Merckx Professional

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I just installed CNC's on my Evo running Boyd 38 CC's, replacing Sram Red/Black brakes. I am using the Boyd pads, installation was easy, took it to my fav LBS for fine tuning, no prob there. Brakes center fine, no drama there. Braking power is less than the Sram, maybe by 10%. I used them hard today on 3 major 30-40 mph descents and had no problems. Can't speak to the wider rim issue, but certainly had nothing remotely like that in my case. Good brakes and for $150 you can't beat them. They got my Evo under 14 pounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Brakes front.jpg (86.8 KB, 28 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.