Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Frogg Toggs Road Toads Rain gear.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-12, 04:30 AM
littlefoot

Bikes: Many all steel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/RoadToads.shtm

Anyone try using these on their bicycle? Designed as a motorcycle rain suit but I was thinking about trying them, I need to replace my rain gear and don't have a very big budget. Ive spoken to some hikers on another forum that like them.
Old 03-14-12, 04:35 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I don't wear rain gear in the Spring and Summer and suspect that in S.C. you definitely dont need to.

Regardless of marketing hype, none of the waterproof jackets actually breathe in any noticeable way, and you'll probably get sweaty under them in short time. I tried a few types for a couple of years, then gave up completely and just decided to get wet with rain instead of sweat.

I do a lot of hiking too, and the same applies here. Riding a motorcycle however, is a totally different animal. I have no experience here.
Old 03-14-12, 04:39 AM
littlefoot

Bikes: Many all steel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's more a warm season purchase in preparation for later in the year. I'm avid backpacker but I prefer a poncho(must be the retro grouch in me). I'm mostly looking at the pants honestly...I have a decent REI shell.
Old 03-14-12, 05:06 AM
chefisaac

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you might be able to find cheaper and then use reflective tape on the coat. I have reflective tape that I use on my riding clothes. Works great and easy to put on. If you need a link to the info, let me know (for the reflective tape.)
Old 03-14-12, 07:51 AM
rec3036

Bikes: Trek 4300 Disc 21 inch frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of the black Frog Toggs rain pants that I wear on the bike when I do Bike EMS, I do sweat a little more in them but when it is 40 degrees and raining I would rather be a little warm and sweaty the soaking wet and freezing. I guess there is a trade off... I am very pleased with them overall, pretty durable and comfortable.

Doing Bike EMS I have to be ANSI compliant with reflectivity so I use a rated vest or a specific EMS parka jacket for identification purposes, so I cannot attest to the jacket.

Chef, send me the info on reflective tape please.... thinking about putting some along the bottom of my work pants.
Old 03-14-12, 12:02 PM
chefisaac

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rec: Did I ever send you the info on all my commuting gear? If so, it should be there. If not, drop me a PM with your email and I will send it tomorrow.
Old 03-14-12, 12:29 PM
when

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too hot for on a bicycle, they're meant for motorcyclists, so nearly zero venting.
Old 03-14-12, 12:36 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Old school waxed cotton would probably be better for most rains (not very heavy downpours) as it's mostly waterproof but actually breathes.
Old 03-14-12, 02:39 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Frogg Toggs stuff actually works well, although I haven't used that model. I have the Driducks, and it's actually pretty great. It does breath much better than most any other rain gear I've used, maybe on par with waxed canvas, it packs up much smaller and looks even goofier off the bike. I'd recommend it, it's light, cheap and effective.
Old 03-15-12, 08:57 AM
Wake
Sputnik - beep beep beep

Bikes: '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set of Dry Ducks. They're really light, so easy to carry. I've only used the jacket so far, and it's good for cool weather up to 70 maybe, but if you're hustling you'll get sweaty. Nice big hood will fit over my helmet. They're also cheap.