Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

One week of commuting, and noticing bad cycling habits (other folks).

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-12, 11:32 PM
davasi

Bikes: Motobecane Cafe Express8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have officially been commuting for one week now. I still love it, but when I'm driving my large van for utility work I have noticed the poor cycling habits of some individuals. The only good thing about it is that I'm definitely more comfortable riding at night on a road, since I've beefed up my lighting and visibility to other motorists. The only bad thing about it is I almost hit this guy going 45-50. This individual was wearing a black t-shirt with black shorts, no helmet, no lights at all, and not even a rear reflector. He was riding in the far left lane (no turn lane close to where he was at). When I noticed him cut across the front of my company vehicle I slammed on the brakes, looked to my right, and closed my eyes. I regained composure, and noticed that he had cut across in front of me to get into a left turn lane, that was for the on-coming traffic, and just stopped and sat there until the on-coming traffic passed. Now, if I barely noticed this guy until I was right up on his behind while moving, what are the chances someone that needs to turn left in that lane is going to notice him until they run him over?
Old 03-17-12, 01:05 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I've seen cyclists that are riding like they have a death wish: no lights, dark clothing, riding on the wrong side of the road. There's not much you can do. I've become more vigilant looking for these idiots while driving. I'm especially looking for bikes going the wrong way. Also I'm careful around intersections. While these people are asking for trouble, I don't think I could deal with myself if I ever hit someone, even if they rode in front of me while I was moving.
Old 03-17-12, 01:44 AM
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once witnessed a man on a bicycle with a baby seat with a baby in it. In my disbelief, he wasn't wearing a helmet and weaving in and out of traffic in downtown portland. Zipped through red lights and a few cars having to slam on their brakes.
Old 03-17-12, 05:17 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say they have no habits whatsoever since they don't really know what to do when on a bike
Old 03-17-12, 07:28 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
A lot of new riders this time of year. It's kind of jarring after a few months where you'd only see a few die-hards or serious cyclists on the commute and now suddenly a swarm of these guys.
Old 03-17-12, 09:50 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
A lot of new riders this time of year. It's kind of jarring after a few months where you'd only see a few die-hards or serious cyclists on the commute and now suddenly a swarm of these guys.
Yup. And with gas prices going up again, we'll only see (or "barely see at all") more of them. Happened in '08-09, too.
Old 03-17-12, 11:11 AM
davasi

Bikes: Motobecane Cafe Express8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Well I live south of you in FL. We don't really have what I would consider a "winter" since I'm originally from WI. There are crazy jerks on bikes (and cars) everywhere all year-round. Maybe less when we get our torrential downpours in the summer.
Old 03-17-12, 11:26 AM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Commuted for 16 years, now retired!
Keep your eyes wide open when pedalin' or driving!
Old 03-17-12, 01:18 PM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yup. It's this kind of idiot that makes cycling look dangerous. take out all the accident reports of people riding no lights, no reflectors, drunk, wrong way, the figures would go way down.
Old 03-17-12, 01:25 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Get used to it. If you keep commuting, you'll see a lot more...
Old 03-17-12, 08:44 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I find other cyclists can be a hazard........
1. there's the guy that wants to pass you with only 3" between your handlebars and his.
2. there's the dude who wants to squeeze past you when there are kids walking in the other direction.
3. there's the guy that passes when you're keeping out of the door zone and comes real close so you swerve into the door zone.
4. there's the group of riders coming toward you riding double file on the MUP and push you into the wall
5. there's the dudes without a bell on their bikes.
6. there's the dudes who ride beside a bus or truck - that doesn't affect my safety - but sure scares me.
7. there's the girl with the extremely bright headlight who blinds me
Old 03-17-12, 09:45 PM
erg79

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Comp; early 80s Univega Nuovo Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really? Not having a bell is hazardous?
Old 03-17-12, 09:49 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll find that the human genome has provided us all with more than an adequate supply of ***hole genes to go around. This generous supply of genes transcends all modes of travel, all age groups, all races, all ethnicities, all religions, and all the genders.

So strap on your head gear tightly, clip in, and take a deep breath. You're in the vortex of commuter life!
Old 03-17-12, 10:10 PM
Ndw76

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 009jim
I find other cyclists can be a hazard........
1. there's the guy that wants to pass you with only 3" between your handlebars and his.
That's me. Especially if the other cyclist is riding on the wrong side of the road.

5. there's the dudes without a bell on their bikes.
That's me. Ding ding ding-a-ling doesn't do anything in Bangkok traffic. Angry foreigner shouting "Hey" draws way more attention.

6. there's the dudes who ride beside a bus or truck - that doesn't affect my safety - but sure scares me.
That's also me. But only through busy intersections. I use cars, trucks and busses as a sheild through busy intersections. But as soon as I am clear of the intersection I get the hell out of their way.
I also just want to add that when using vehicles as a sheild through an intersection I make damd sure that I know they are headed in the same direction as me and not turning.
Old 03-18-12, 01:45 AM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by erg79
Really? Not having a bell is hazardous?
For me not having a bell seems hazardous. I always ring once or twice before I pass pedestrians and I feel a little more confident they are aware that it would be a bad idea to move left or right suddenly. It's not going to work for dogs though, or small children. Also not having a light on my bike would seem hazardous. Cars would have a greater chance of not seeing me and could move into my path suddenly. Also if you do not have a light or a bell and you are unfortunate enough to be in an accident, the LEO will probably conclude it was your fault because of that, even if it was unrelated.
Old 03-18-12, 03:19 AM
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 009jim
For me not having a bell seems hazardous. I always ring once or twice before I pass pedestrians and I feel a little more confident they are aware that it would be a bad idea to move left or right suddenly. It's not going to work for dogs though, or small children. Also not having a light on my bike would seem hazardous. Cars would have a greater chance of not seeing me and could move into my path suddenly. Also if you do not have a light or a bell and you are unfortunate enough to be in an accident, the LEO will probably conclude it was your fault because of that, even if it was unrelated.
I dunno about Australia, but here we yell out "coming up/to your left!" Or ".... "coming up/to your right!" or some variance of that. That way it gives a definitive warning that you are there.
Old 03-18-12, 05:35 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This individual was wearing a black t-shirt with black shorts, no helmet, no lights at all, and not even a rear reflector.
In most areas, unless the guy was < 14 years old, wearing a bike helmet is not illegal. Please read some helmet threads in the A/S subforum for a full review of this issue, but in summary: bike helmet efficacy sucks and is more about marketing than actual mitigation from injury (i.e. bike helmets are little, nearly useless bits of plastic and foam that do very little to protect you). Note that I wear one 100% of the time, mostly because it is covered in reflective tape, which I feel is about as much as it can help me.

Bells can be useful on multi-use paths, but are useless in traffic for the most part. Reflectors are also "helpful" vs. actually something to rely on for your safety. Lighting, though, is extremely important and required by law to ride after dark in most areas I know of.

OP: There are lots of idiots out there. Drive around here and you'll see motorists speeding on the beltway, changing lanes without signaling, driving while distracted/texting, illegal parking, illegal u-turns, speeding in residential areas, running red lights (hence the red light camera city program).

Idiots ride bikes, drive cars, walk, take the subway, bus, and every other means of getting around. Deal with it.