Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Calfee on eBay

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Calfee on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 10:13 AM
mwandaw
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Calfee on eBay

This eBay auction will end up beyond our budget, but for the right team it might be a good opportunity: Calfee on eBay.
Old 03-22-12, 10:32 AM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The bar position represents the stoker's indefatigable determination to continue riding, though injury ultimately had the final say.

Last edited by Ritterview; 03-22-12 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Removed photo that some thought uncharitable to the stoker.
Old 03-22-12, 10:44 AM
akexpress 

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
From the description it sounds like a back injury was involved that required the unusual bar set up.
Old 03-22-12, 10:50 AM
JSNYC

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hilarious!

but, there's gotta be a really good reason. if they're out there with a setup like that as a result of injury, godspeed, man. bravo to them for just being out there and doing it.

Originally Posted by Ritterview

The bar position makes me wonder about the stoker.

Old 03-22-12, 10:51 AM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The bar position makes me wonder about the stoker.

Actually, after reading the entire eBay ad, the entire reason of why the bike is being sold and why the bars are positioned as they are is sad to read.

For anyone to have to realize they are not going to ride anymore must be a tough decision.

The monkeys on bikes seems a bit on the harsh side...but that is what you must live with.

Hopefully Karma, and she's a mean *****, doesn't befriend you.

PK
Old 03-22-12, 11:50 AM
JSNYC

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just read the ad. That is very sad to hear. If I didn't already have my tandem, I'd bid that in a heartbeat. Would literally fit us like a glove.

I've recently been in the position of facing not riding again due to a medical issue, and lemme tell you, it positively sucks. Was off a year to diagnosis/treatment alone.

I wish the owner a happy and rewarding life outside of cycling. Once a cyclist always a cyclist.

Originally Posted by PMK
Actually, after reading the entire eBay ad, the entire reason of why the bike is being sold and why the bars are positioned as they are is sad to read.

For anyone to have to realize they are not going to ride anymore must be a tough decision.

The monkeys on bikes seems a bit on the harsh side...but that is what you must live with.

PK
Old 03-22-12, 11:51 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by akexpress
From the description it sounds like a back injury was involved that required the unusual bar set up.
Uhhh.. Yeah. From the Stoker and it breaks my heart to read this....

In our late 50s, we easily cruised at 22mph. ....I can’t ride anymore due to injury and rather than leaving it sit in our garage, we’re selling it (with many tears). It’s taken me 4 years to finally say I’m never going to ride it again. The captain is 5 feet 9.5 inches tall. The stoker is 5 feet 4 inches tall. The upright stoker handlebars enabled me to ride following back surgery.
"When you assume you make an ass out of you and me." ~Oscar Wilde
Old 03-22-12, 12:31 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PMK

PK
Geez. I didn't mean nothin'! The stoker bars made me think of such bars on motorcycles, which are called ape hangers.

So, following this line of thought (rather than reading the eBay description), I thought maybe the team consisted of a human captain with an orangutan stoker. Stranger things have happened.

And please, for someone so concerned about offending, an orangutan is no monkey!

If everyone is going to get all their piab over this, I'll remove the pic that neither disparages nor injures anyone (And I'll find out if so doing also removes the re-postings).

...so, my removing the photo didn't remove the repostings. That will be up to the re-posters I guess.

Last edited by Ritterview; 03-22-12 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-22-12, 03:50 PM
wheelspeed

Bikes: '06 Titus mtb, 2004 Trek T2000 tandem, '88 Merckx 753, '18 Emonda, '91 Cannondale mtb, '19 Trance 29er

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, if they have to sell due to backpain while leaning forward, then we can still hope that the money will be put towards a nice recumbant tandem!
Old 03-23-12, 05:32 AM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Geez. I didn't mean nothin'! The stoker bars made me think of such bars on motorcycles, which are called ape hangers.

So, following this line of thought (rather than reading the eBay description), I thought maybe the team consisted of a human captain with an orangutan stoker. Stranger things have happened.

And please, for someone so concerned about offending, an orangutan is no monkey!

If everyone is going to get all their piab over this, I'll remove the pic that neither disparages nor injures anyone (And I'll find out if so doing also removes the re-postings).

...so, my removing the photo didn't remove the repostings. That will be up to the re-posters I guess.
FWIW, my "panties are not in a bunch" over this. Your first post while funny to you wasn't as obviously funny to others. When I see bikes built similar to that, my first reaction is not to bully the other rider or team.

In my book of ethics, your followup post didn't help your cause. No doubt 99% of the readers have seen or know about "ape hangers" on a motorcycle.

Ironically, in your photo of the orangutans on the blue and pink bikes, neither of them had that style handlebars.

This is another time where someone has made adjustments to continue enjoying cycling, as we often see, Twogether.

No one wishes this on you, but take just a moment to consider what you would do for your stoker in a similar situation. Would you run and hide on a single bike, never to ride the tandem again...or would you find a way, because as you yourself know, "It ain't about the bike"?

I enjoy your posts Ritterview, but some days, your comments let me shake my head in disbelief.

The photos you posted, in my opinion, stay posted for others to see the entire story, , to serve as a what not to do. Don't expect me to pull remove them. Find another way to save yourself. After you read the entire eBay description in the ad, an apology for being a Dumbass would be a good start.

Nice bike, lots of money and you still don't get it. The folks selling the bike, may have lost something, but they, in my opinion know what cycling is about.

This portion of this topic is done for me, flame me if you want, I'm strong enough to take it.

Nomex flame suit on...Nomex panties not in a wad. Gentlemen, light your torches.

PK
Old 03-23-12, 09:47 AM
specbill
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
......anyone want to venture what it will sell for...and why? I'm thinking around $4500'ish. The 9 peed package and wheels would impact my enthusiasm some, but it would not eliminate it It looks well cared for.
Bill J
Old 03-23-12, 11:13 AM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It did not sell. Local pickup only really limits the ability to sell.
Old 03-23-12, 11:28 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
It shows it did not sell because it's no longer available, meaning they sold it locally first, I would assume.