Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clean Bottle - Am I Missing Something?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 08:04 PM
krazygl00
Your Recovery Ride Buddy

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Classique, 1999 Serotta C3S Atlanta, 2004 Kona Jake the Snake, 2009 Kona Paddywagon, 2006 Kona Kula, 1980's Fuji Pursuit TT Fix/SS conversion, 1980's Torpado Super Strada, Bridgestone RB1 Synergy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

These are all over the place...online and in most LBSs I go to:

I don't see how having a cap at the bottom of a bottle makes it any easier to keep clean. Regular bottle, use it, when it gets grungy you put it in the dishwasher and then it's clean. What's hard about that? In fact, I find it is the caps and threads that are the dirtiest parts of a bottle...and the Clean Bottle has two.
Old 04-11-12, 08:20 PM
jparillo

Bikes: Scott Foil 40, Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Sora Compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its so when it falls out of the cages it can burst open from both ends and you really don't have any water! but really this is probably geared towards people who mix supplements into their water drinks and it helps eliminate the settled powder dust buildup.
Old 04-11-12, 08:30 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1. It's called a bottle brush, people! You can find them at such fine retailers as target and bed bath and beyond.
Old 04-11-12, 08:31 PM
PedalingFool

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek Mtn, Specialized Gravel, Jamis TT, Specialized FatBoym, Trek Varde

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sure they'll make their million$ from people falling for the marketing gimmick.
Old 04-11-12, 08:33 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They look like the free bottles that bike shops give away except that they open at both ends.

I have become really partial to Camelbak bottles and am unlikely to use anything else.
Old 04-11-12, 08:37 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I want to see somebody trip him at the TDF this year and knock the bottom cap off.
Old 04-11-12, 08:40 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
For germophobes who think clean is never clean enough.
Old 04-11-12, 08:41 PM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
My Father-in-Law fell for the marketing gimmick during last year's TdF (buy 3 get the 4th free) and gave me two. I don't think they are any easier to keep clean ... like Silvercivic said, "it's called a bottle brush ..." But the biggest down-side IMHO, is that the plastic is thicker than your regular bottle. This makes them harder to squeeze and it deforms more of the bottle when you do so it leaks from around the threads.

Bottom line, if you don't know how to wash a bottle and like your drink everywhere but your mouth, buy it!
Old 04-11-12, 09:11 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Liked 1,310 Times in 563 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
For germophobes who think clean is never clean enough.
+1 - They sell. There is tons of interest in them.

Personally I never saw the point. I actually put my bottles in the dishwasher....after I use them....like the dishes and glasses I use to feed myself....

Old 04-11-12, 09:18 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
What is this "washing" people speak of? If you just put water in your bottles, you don't need to do anything. After somewhere between a few weeks and a couple months, the water will start to taste funny. Throwing them in the dishwasher for a cycle will take care of that.

Even if you put crap other than water in them, just shaking them with hot water from the tap for about 10 seconds does most of the job. The bladders I used when skiing have never been washed.
Old 04-11-12, 09:28 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
I have become really partial to Camelbak bottles and am unlikely to use anything else.
Me too. Everything else seems inferior.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-11-12, 09:32 PM
Right Said Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If these take off, just wait--the next thing will be regular drinking glasses with screw off bottoms. What somebody really needs to invent is a water bottle that won't crash you out when somebody tosses it into your spokes. I'll bet Cancellara would be willing to pitch in some seed money for that.
Old 04-11-12, 09:41 PM
markjenn

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I don't think they are probably worth the trouble/expense for most people, but just because you only use your bottles for pure water and regularly wash your bottles in a dishwasher, doesn't mean everyone is the same as you. You're so perfect you've never forgotten and left a bottle on the bike for a few days with some sticky energy drink in it and then find you it pretty grungy just before your next ride? Just because a feature isn't important to you doesn't mean it isn't important to anybody.

They ARE easier to clean and for any level of cleaning effort, you can get one of these cleaner than a regular bottle.

- Mark

Last edited by markjenn; 04-11-12 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-11-12, 09:42 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by banerjek
What is this "washing" people speak of? If you just put water in your bottles, you don't need to do anything. After somewhere between a few weeks and a couple months, the water will start to taste funny. Throwing them in the dishwasher for a cycle will take care of that.

Even if you put crap other than water in them, just shaking them with hot water from the tap for about 10 seconds does most of the job. The bladders I used when skiing have never been washed.
I put my dirty ass mouth on the valves. Just like I do with my glasses at home. I wash those when I am done.

Old 04-11-12, 10:16 PM
djb

Liked 995 Times in 816 Posts
boy Im glad you added "mouth"

as for the bottles, yup, people just love buying new crap that is supposed to be better than older crap they have....as I say to my wife everytime she buys new plastic crap "hey, we gotta keep all those Chinese plastic factories in business dont we"
Old 04-11-12, 10:21 PM
zigmeister

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I find the valve is the real issue to keep clean. I clean my bottles right after I ride always. OCD like that.

Also, Camelback has solved the valve issue of mold/junk getting built up because you can take the clear main piece that is over the valve off, and clean it thoroughly. I do that every few weeks.

Just some hot water/soap and a brush to quickly rinse/clean after a ride is good enough.

Maybe it is for the people who let their bottles sit in the garage for days after a ride, then decide later to clean them, only to find it a pain to get all the dried up junk off the bottom?

Not sure why all of the hate about these bottles though. This must be all part of the capitalist and entrepreneurs are all evil and don't pay enough taxes syndrome we are going through as of late. If you really believe it capitalism, the market will sort out whether people find this to be a worthwhile and useful idea and they will either thrive and make money, or fail and go out of business. That simple.

Last edited by zigmeister; 04-11-12 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-11-12, 10:25 PM
aztimm

Bikes: Specialized Tri Cross; Specialized Tarmac SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same here. Even in summer, what's in my bottle stays cold for most of a ride, so long as I freeze most of it overnight. Mind you, this is in 90-100F temps (I try to avoid riding too late in summer).

And washing, I agree with the others. I rinse them out after, shake some hot water, squirt it through the top, and my bottles are set.
Old 04-11-12, 10:35 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

FWIW - I switched our team bottles over to Specialized Purist style bottles last year. These are similar to the camelback podium but simpler/more refined. They have a removable valve, and a solid technology on the inside....those of you who love to let things sit would probably love them.

Old 04-11-12, 10:44 PM
alexfboyle
uʍop ǝpısdn s,ʇı

Bikes: GT ZR 3.0 Team Lotto, Specialized Rockhopper, Mangusta 3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Polar bottles also have the removable valve. Usually I take the valve off, put it on one of the tines on the top rack of the dishwasher. It cleans it quite nicely. Also, any common sense tells me to rinse the bottle when I put anything other than water in them. As banerjerk says, 10 seconds of hot water will take care of most gunk in a bottle. Also, it helps to not put them away wet.
Old 04-11-12, 10:51 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
+1

Camelbak bottles are the best, they are only $10 and my last one lasted me about 5000 miles.
Old 04-11-12, 10:54 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Valve schmalve. Those don't need any more washing than the bottles. I'm not sure when I washed mine but it hasn't been for at least a month.
Old 04-11-12, 11:12 PM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm really partial to the Trek ones my team / shop over gives me for free. Once the Logo's wear off, in the trash bin they go.
Old 04-12-12, 01:07 AM
and1homer
Slower Member

Bikes: 2009 Giant Defy 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by right said fred
what somebody really needs to invent is a water bottle that won't crash you out when somebody tosses it into your spokes. I'll bet cancellara would be willing to pitch in some seed money for that.
Old 04-12-12, 01:17 AM
and1homer
Slower Member

Bikes: 2009 Giant Defy 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll take 'Solutions Looking for a Problem' for 1000, please Alex!

I have used the same 2 bottles (mostly with Gatorade powder mix) for about 2.5 years now. I rinse them in running water after I ride, sometimes hot water. I might have put them in the dishwasher maybe 5 times total?

No mold, no gunk, no build-up, no grime, no smell, no taste. So, yeah, I don't see the point, and have wondered as OP has - am I missing something?
Old 04-12-12, 01:27 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
I've used some pretty intense goop for races, rinsed the bottle off and then spent the next day driving home.

Those bottles can get a bit nasty over time. If you don't have a completely clear bottle chances are you're missing small amounts of stuff living in the threads for the cap and around the valve. Even washing with a brush you can miss those.

When I was running a team this meant washing 20~30 bottles a day. This can get quite time consuming.

I would bleach bottles once or twice a season and then wash them to make sure no-one was going to suffer upper GI distress because of bacteria lurking in their bottles.

I still do this with my own bottles and things are usually fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.