Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

5 cents please (**possible spoilers**)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

5 cents please (**possible spoilers**)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 08:19 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
mollusk, condolences to you and your friend's family.

A friend of my daughter's took his own life this week. 16 years old. Both of my kids knew him well. She's having a tough time of it.
Wow - my thoughts are not only with the boy's family but yours as well.
Old 04-12-12, 08:46 AM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too much bad stuff going on...Damn!

My thoughts go out to all those suffering....
Old 04-12-12, 09:19 AM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I dropped the kid. Actually after he fell asleep he kind of slid off the Boppy (my lap) onto the rug (good thing it wasn't tile). I was eating, he was in a slippery blanket, and I wasn't holding him with either hand.

Clunk.

After that second of "wtf???" he cried really loud for about 20-30 seconds. Then he looked at me like "holy eff man, you gotta watch my back", blinked, and then did that whole "I'm the Terminator and I'm scanning your face with my invisible laser for identification purposes", i.e. stared at me without blinking for a long time.

I decided to hold him, no help, going forward, and always one arm around him (instead of just laying him down on the Boppy on my lap).

Jeepers. 20 years of this to go.
I'm thinking a new blog should be started, or, the current one needs to diversify with respect to material!!
Old 04-12-12, 09:36 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CDR if it is any consolation my mother dropped me on the head at the same age and look at me I'm normal...

I know it's not funny but it's part of parenting, my daughter has hit the ground a couple of times (once with me, once with my mother and once with my wife) thankfully no real bad hits.
Old 04-12-12, 09:55 AM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My son grabbed the exhaust pipe about 4 inches from the head on my bike when he was 3. It had only been on for about 10 seconds because he liked to hear it, but it did a heck of a job on the burn. Talk about feeling like a horrible parent.
Old 04-12-12, 09:57 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
The thing that I keep thinking about is the self righteous evangelist drinking stealing lying coworker.

One of the first days I was at my current job the coworker's dad came in. He greeted me, asked how I was doing as the new guy here, etc. Then he asked how his son was doing.

"He's fine Mr. C."

Then the dad leaned forward and said, very deliberately.

"You can tell me the truth. He fell out of the highchair when he was a baby."

The coworker has a number of very smart, well respected, gainfully employed siblings. This one...

So I have this fear of dropping the baby.
Old 04-12-12, 09:58 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwible
My son grabbed the exhaust pipe about 4 inches from the head on my bike when he was 3. It had only been on for about 10 seconds because he liked to hear it, but it did a heck of a job on the burn. Talk about feeling like a horrible parent.
You suck....

Hehehe - been there as well - my son grabbed the handle of a woodstove and burned his hand pretty bad one time. What was worse was when he was about 12-13 he kept complaining to us that he had a sore wrist and that we needed to take him to the doctor, we told him he was fine not to worry about it, three weeks later after he continued to whine we took him to our ortho and sure enough broken wrist. We suck...
Old 04-12-12, 10:01 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well that's a good reason to be fearful. K is going to be fine. If he turns out to be a cheating, lying, stealing person, it won't be because of you or the Missus. Parents can only do so much. At some point they become adults and make their own choices.
Old 04-12-12, 10:02 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
The thing that I keep thinking about is the self righteous evangelist drinking stealing lying coworker.

One of the first days I was at my current job the coworker's dad came in. He greeted me, asked how I was doing as the new guy here, etc. Then he asked how his son was doing.

"He's fine Mr. C."

Then the dad leaned forward and said, very deliberately.

"You can tell me the truth. He fell out of the highchair when he was a baby."

The coworker has a number of very smart, well respected, gainfully employed siblings. This one...

So I have this fear of dropping the baby.
There are going to be many issues that will test you, of this I can assure you. As it is your first child they will always seem much larger than they are. If you have a second one you will see exactly what I am talking about. My daughter was climbing a tree with the neighbor's son the other day as I drove up. Looked at her and said if you fall don't come home crying. 10 minutes later she came home crying as she had fallen out of the tree. I looked at her and reminded her of our conversation earlier, took a look at the scrapes and moved on. If she had been my first I am sure we would have taken a real deep look at everything but alas, though she is my princess she is a drama queen
Old 04-12-12, 10:08 AM
jwible
Draught

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki
You suck....

Hehehe - been there as well - my son grabbed the handle of a woodstove and burned his hand pretty bad one time. What was worse was when he was about 12-13 he kept complaining to us that he had a sore wrist and that we needed to take him to the doctor, we told him he was fine not to worry about it, three weeks later after he continued to whine we took him to our ortho and sure enough broken wrist. We suck...

Dad? Is that you????

Same thing happened to me at about the same age. Running to the bus from school a friend tripped me. Fell and hurt my wrist. Told my parents and they said it's a sprain. OK. Played indoor hockey at school and taking a shot hurt like hell. Ok, it's a sprain right? Went skiing and didn't have any issues.

A week later riding back from the same friends house I tried to hop a curb on the way to big kmart special 10 speed anchor. Fell and caught myself with the hurt arm. Holy mother that hurt. Looked at arm. That bend isn't supposed to be there! Rode home and said "I think it broke".

Go to the ER to get it checked, it's broken. Duh. Doc on call talks to security and a social worker. He tells my parents very indignantly "This child's arm was already broken!" They get grilled by the social worker. I get grilled by the social worker. Eventually everyone calms down. The arm had a non displaced fracture that had healed for 3 weeks. The healed part bent nicely but didn't break.

Two days later I get the bone reset. The ortho had to re-break it. He said when it finally snapped it sounded like a gunshot in the OR and everyone cringed. Wish I had heard it.

My friend felt so bad he went on to become chief resident at Hopkins three different years in three different hospitals and now teaches Neuro Surgery in Houston. https://www.uth.tmc.edu/schools/med/n...-quoc-anh.html

One of the best humans on the planet he is.
Old 04-12-12, 10:13 AM
jwible
Draught

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cross post from another place but...

umd's crash has me thinking about insurance. Granted I'm in the insurance biz.

DO ALL OF YOU HAVE SHORT TERM DISABILITY AND LONG TERM DISABILITY INSURANCE????

If not and it's available at work sign up at OE. Some employers may be nice and let you sign up off cycle, but don't count on it. A good plan can save your ass if you're in a serious accident.

If your employer doesn't have it look at getting it on the open market. Especially the Short Term. If you have questions about how it works or what's good let me know.
Old 04-12-12, 10:13 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should get some sort of kickback for directing his career
Old 04-12-12, 10:14 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If not and it's available at work sign up at OE. Some employers may be nice and let you sign up off cycle, but don't count on it. A good plan can save your ass if you're in a serious accident.

If your employer doesn't have it look at getting it on the open market. Especially the Short Term. If you have questions about how it works or what's good let me know.
Agreed.
Old 04-12-12, 10:15 AM
tombailey
awaiting uci approval

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC 06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pulled my 18 month old out of her car seat by her arms. She spent the next 2 hours being grumbly. Went to hold her hand and her arm just fell back by her side. Guessing I dislocated her shoulder. Put her in the car seat and drove (perhaps a little enthusiastically) to the ER. Got her out of the car, under the armpits this time, and she seemed fine. Must have popped back in when she was put back in the car seat. Felt HORRIBLE.

Stuff happens.
Old 04-12-12, 10:16 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These stories bring back memories.

When my son was a toddler we warned him about the woodstove. He's deaf, wasn't speaking much at the time so we signed it to him. He knew what it meant. It was not a comprehension issue. About ten minutes later we heard a bloodcurdling scream. 3rd degree burns on his hand. He stayed away from it from that point forward.

Around age four I took the training wheels off of my daughter's bike. She used to ride that thing around like every pedal stroke was a sprint. I held the bike up for her and she took off. It went fine the first few times, but then she proceeded to lose control, crash into a tree and break her collarbone. Off to the hospital to get x-rays and a sling. As soon as we got back, she jumps out of the car, runs to her bike and jumps on it. She made quite the fuss when I took it away.
Old 04-12-12, 10:22 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by bostongarden
I'm thinking a new blog should be started, or, the current one needs to diversify with respect to material!!
Blogging about the kid would take all day, every day. But I'm working on how we dealt with preparing for his arrival. Not writing stuff down has allowed me to forget a lot of moments. I'm trying to be better about writing things down.

In other news I'm realistically going to stop working, voluntarily, at least for a month (trial period as a stay at home dad). I need to figure out how to break the news to the owners. I'm thinking mid-May or June for the start time (i.e. 4-6 weeks from now).
Old 04-12-12, 10:34 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tombailey
I pulled my 18 month old out of her car seat by her arms. She spent the next 2 hours being grumbly. Went to hold her hand and her arm just fell back by her side. Guessing I dislocated her shoulder. Put her in the car seat and drove (perhaps a little enthusiastically) to the ER. Got her out of the car, under the armpits this time, and she seemed fine. Must have popped back in when she was put back in the car seat. Felt HORRIBLE.

Stuff happens.
I was holding my little girl's hand one evening at the mall. She wanted to ride the escalators down but we were going somewhere else. When I told her we weren't going that way she wanted to flop in the floor and pitch a fit. Unfortunately, daddy was still holding her hand and her elbow popped out of socket. She cried and cried. I thought it was she didn't get her way. It wasn't until I saw that she wasn't holding her juice-cup with both hands, like she normally does, I started wondering. Then when I went to get her out of the car she screamed again.

Off to the ER. When the Doc came in, he looked at her, looked at her arm tenderly, held it, pulled it slightly ... viola!
Old 04-12-12, 10:35 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
database errors still?

I need a fit guru. I've got to get a handle on my low back/hip/glute issues. I'm fast, but am always in pain the next day. it's related to saddle angle, fore aft, height, physical saddle, or stem length/height.

:/
Old 04-12-12, 10:37 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by substructure
I was holding my little girl's hand one evening at the mall. She wanted to ride the escalators down but we were going somewhere else. When I told her we weren't going that way she wanted to flop in the floor and pitch a fit. Unfortunately, daddy was still holding her hand and her elbow popped out of socket. She cried and cried. I thought it was she didn't get her way. It wasn't until I saw that she wasn't holding her juice-cup with both hands, like she normally does, I started wondering. Then when I went to get her out of the car she screamed again.

Off to the ER. When the Doc came in, he looked at her, looked at her arm tenderly, held it, pulled it slightly ... viola!
THUG!!!!
Every daddy knows that you have to give your little princess everything she wants.... Shame on you
Old 04-12-12, 10:39 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
database errors still?

I need a fit guru. I've got to get a handle on my low back/hip/glute issues. I'm fast, but am always in pain the next day. it's related to saddle angle, fore aft, height, physical saddle, or stem length/height.

Working on mine as well. Moved saddle up, changed out stem to a 130mm, bars to be changed, saddle up a little. I prefer to have that cramped feel versus stretched out. Hopefully be out this weekend with a good friend who is a professional fitter.
Old 04-12-12, 10:46 AM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
database errors still?

If you're on twitter, you could try to tweet @masterbikefit or @ladybikefit with questions. Typically they are willing to help people.
Old 04-12-12, 10:52 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2712 Post(s)
Liked 3,276 Times in 1,718 Posts
Originally Posted by tombailey

Stuff happens.
My mom did this to me when I was a toddler.

Ofc I cried alot but she brushed it off.
An hour or so later she found me playing with pots and pans on the floor with my arm sticking out at a 90 degree angle

thas why i hate the world so much
Old 04-12-12, 10:56 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki
Working on mine as well. Moved saddle up, changed out stem to a 130mm, bars to be changed, saddle up a little. I prefer to have that cramped feel versus stretched out. Hopefully be out this weekend with a good friend who is a professional fitter.

you moved it up twice?
Old 04-12-12, 11:02 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you moved it up twice?
Sorry - forward not up. Remember I'm a Canuck - easily confused. Posted a pic in the race rig thread - from what I saw on one of your pics our overall positions may be similar - high hoods, cramped kinda style.
Old 04-12-12, 11:16 AM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got it....Wife just got through work this year...I use to always cringe when she raced, well I still cringe, but at least the money side is more relaxed...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.