Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Fitting a Jet 9

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Fitting a Jet 9

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-12, 02:20 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 163 Posts
Fitting a Jet 9

A friend let me borrow his Jet 9, a great bike! In fact he wants to get a nicer bike & sell me this one cheep. Unfortunately, the seat tube on the Niner is way too steep. The tip of the saddle can only be 4 cm behind the bottom bracket. My current 26er bike has the saddle 11cm back of the BB & i like the fit. I have never seen a 7 cm set back seat post.
Any ideas on how to make this work?
Thanks.
Old 04-15-12, 02:59 PM
c_mack9

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
A friend let me borrow his Jet 9, a great bike! In fact he wants to get a nicer bike & sell me this one cheep. Unfortunately, the seat tube on the Niner is way too steep. The tip of the saddle can only be 4 cm behind the bottom bracket. My current 26er bike has the saddle 11cm back of the BB & i like the fit. I have never seen a 7 cm set back seat post.
Any ideas on how to make this work?
Thanks.
you might be over thinking this. if the bike is your size, just ride it like it is for a while. tweek from there. it's really not a fair comparison between the geometry of that bike and your current 26er.
Old 04-15-12, 07:56 PM
Thor29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You do know that there is some adjustability of saddle position where the seat attaches to the seatpost, right? The horizontal position of the saddle relative to the bottom bracket is not something that most people even think about and you probably won't even notice since the geometry of the Niner will be so different anyway.
Old 04-16-12, 03:39 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 163 Posts
I am kind of a old school bike geek who did plenty of riding before the mountain bike existed. I have read plenty of books on bike fit. It's pretty important to me that my bikes are set up correctly. Why would body position on a niner be different than on a 26? Not trying to argue, just trying to understand.
Old 04-16-12, 10:56 AM
c_mack9

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
because the wheel size is a huge variable in geometry. increasing the wheel size greatly changes the way the bike handles, niners are amazing. i have a jet9 and also love it. but hey, you have read a few books 20 years ago, i'm sure you know more about the subject than the best 20er company out there right?
Old 04-16-12, 12:02 PM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They steepen the seat tube to fit fatter tires and suspension travel with the bigger wheels and the same wheelbase compared to a 26. That puts more weight on the front end which can be a good thing if you know what you're doing. Otherwise it just makes endo's easier.

A setback post and the saddle all the way back can get you 4 or 5 cm without much trouble. That should be close enough.
Old 04-16-12, 12:29 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Top tube length and stem length can play a big role in how the bike fits and feels right now as well. I agree on getting some miles in and getting used to the bike as it is. I personally like having the seat as far back as possible. I have trouble lifting the front tire over rocks and obstacles. So having the center of gravity further back to me is a plus. I'm not sure how the 29er geometry works with that.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 04-17-12, 06:09 AM
"Fred"
Got Hills, I do!

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 9.9 - Trek Supercaliber 9.9.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Just get a set back seat post cheap easy and it will get you the fit you like.

The jet 9 and CVA rear suspension is amazing as you have found out. If you can get that bike for cheap jump on it and buy a new seat post.