Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Adding Rack braze-ons: DIY?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 11:48 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Liked 529 Times in 285 Posts

I am considering getting a frame powdercoated, and would like to add rack braze-on eyelets fore and aft before I do. Is this something I could do myself with solder, or do they really need to be brazed? And do I need to buy actual braze-on fittings, or could I get hardware store 5mm or 6mm nuts? Anyone done this themselves?
Thanks,
-J
Old 04-17-12, 11:59 AM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, what we call "brazing" is actually done with silver solder. The only difference is the amount of heat needed, everything else is done as per usual. I suppose you could use regular nuts, but pay attention to materials and plating, otherwise you will get a very poor bond. I'd shell out the money for purpose-made items, myself.
Old 04-17-12, 12:25 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,458 Times in 7,255 Posts
It is something you can do, depending on your experience
as a metal worker and the sort of tubing your bike is made
from.

I have some experience as a welder and blacksmith, and
would be reluctant to do it myself to a frame i cared about.

Most framebuilders do such jobs at what I see as bargain prices.
Old 04-17-12, 01:32 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,272 Times in 1,651 Posts
I agree there are lots of places where you can buy the correct parts but I would never put them on myself.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 04-17-12 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-17-12, 01:55 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Cool. I will try to find a local builder to do it. Any recommendations for a DC/MD area builder?
Old 04-17-12, 02:26 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,458 Times in 7,255 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
Cool. I will try to find a local builder to do it. Any recommendations for a DC/MD area builder?
Is Proteus still in business in College Park ? Otherwise, I got nuthin'.
Old 04-17-12, 02:59 PM
ACH57

Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
I did this to a Centurion frame that was made from Tange No. 5. In addition to rack braze ons I added three sets of water bottle mounts. I bought some silver solder and flux and borrowed a neighbor's oxyacetylene torch. It was really easy. I used actual braze ons that I bought online.
Old 04-17-12, 03:31 PM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Liked 121 Times in 77 Posts
I´m 99.99% sure you know about P-clips (and those funky seatpost clamps with the rack mount holes), and that you have decided against using them, but am mentioning them nonetheless.

Best of luck, and apologies if I am pointing out the bleeding obvious.

By the way - steel P-clips are stupidly strong, so worrying about them breaking is not really an excuse not to use them. Not directed at the OP, by the way.
Old 04-17-12, 06:30 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 578 Times in 343 Posts
My question for the OP: Is this kind of brazing an art form you want to learn? Do you want, deep down, to build water bottle cages and custom racks and even whole frames? If so, I'd say yes, adding braze-ons to an old bike is a great idea. If not, and you're concerned with practicality and economy, I'd say no, read what Barchettaman said.

My question for the rest of you, and just to stir the pot a little: Is Undrewing a frame, that is brazing extra stuff onto a frame, any better than drewing it, that is cutting stuff off? I don't think there is anything wrong with either one, when it is appropriate, but both are done more than I consider necessary, and the damage they do to original paint &c is lamentable.
Old 04-17-12, 06:52 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,272 Times in 1,651 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
My question for the rest of you, and just to stir the pot a little: Is Undrewing a frame, that is brazing extra stuff onto a frame, any better than drewing it, that is cutting stuff off? I don't think there is anything wrong with either one, when it is appropriate, but both are done more than I consider necessary, and the damage they do to original paint &c is lamentable.
You just can't let a sleeping dog be can you?

I do agree but I feel it depends on the frame. adding rack/fender/lowrider and other assorted brazons to top of the line Colnago, Bianchi or some other bike is a bit much. but if one feels the need to add a set of rack brazeons to a CroMor frame so it better suits her/his needs then why not.

Remeber those little things BlackBurn used to make to go in the cutout on the dropout to attach a rack? Unless you were going to the doing loaded touring those and set of P clips are plenty strong enough.

Jeirvine you can try Bishop but I am not sure how busy he is and wether he takes outside work. I asked him if he would drill some dropouts for me but he never gave me a an answer. I even taught him something new and helped him solve a problem with a build and he kind of left me hanging.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-17-12, 08:02 PM
jeirvine 

Thanks again for all the advice. I will probably just go the p-clip route. I have no great interest in learning brazing (I have way too many hobbies already), I just thought the time to add braze-ons is right before a powdercoating. It's an 85 Trek 500 w/501 tubing btw.
Old 04-17-12, 08:23 PM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Just do it yourself. You don't need a Oxy/Act torch to install braze ons. A simple propane or Mapp air torch can do it with ease. The parts are all super cheap so just get the correct parts. Check out cycle-frames.com
Old 04-17-12, 08:27 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Liked 856 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Henry III
Just do it yourself. You don't need a Oxy/Act torch to install braze ons. A simple propane or Mapp air torch can do it with ease. The parts are all super cheap so just get the correct parts. Check out cycle-frames.com
With no understanding or experience, what could possibly go wrong?
Old 04-18-12, 12:01 AM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
With no experience your better off using using propane or Mapp instead of a full on torch setup. You'll have to use silver instead of brass brazing rods because you'll never melt the brass otherwise. Just clean it good and lather it down in flux and go to town. You can't mess up too bad. If all else fails and their crooked. Just reheat it and reposition them. The benefit of brazing over welding.
Old 04-18-12, 05:12 AM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
John, you can always ask a plumber to do it, you can braze on 5mm nuts

the easy route is to use those rubber covered pipe clamps.

I see your lammy must be busted as you need to cycle!

you could ask Jerry to spray if for you, he is into bikes also.

I brought him a shimano nexus 7 hub from finland for his current project.

take care
mike

mhanyi at yahoo dot com
Old 04-18-12, 11:57 AM
jeirvine 

Originally Posted by Henry III
With no experience your better off using using propane or Mapp instead of a full on torch setup. You'll have to use silver instead of brass brazing rods because you'll never melt the brass otherwise. Just clean it good and lather it down in flux and go to town. You can't mess up too bad. If all else fails and their crooked. Just reheat it and reposition them. The benefit of brazing over welding.
Not for me: A man's got to know his limitations, Briggs.
Old 04-18-12, 04:41 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Alignment sounds like the problem.
I suppose if you made a jig
to align the braze-ons
using 5mm threaded rod
and a way to clamp them
to the chainstays,
it would be okay .
Old 04-18-12, 05:09 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Liked 75 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
Tom Palermo is in Baltimore.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.