Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hard time getting weight off hands and signaling.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hard time getting weight off hands and signaling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 11:07 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
your first problem is you wear flip flops...second, your face is hideous. Third, I don't see any reason why you can't lift a hand...pedal faster, worry less about falling.
Is the fit fine?
Old 05-01-12, 11:09 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by todayilearned

So are you riding on the hoods (hands in this position) when you're trying to signal? Try doing it with your hands on the tops (closer to the stem) and see if that helps.
Old 05-01-12, 11:10 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you actively pedaling when you take your hand off the bars? If you are keeping a steady cadence you should have enough force to lift your hands comfortably and steadily off the bars. It is harder when not pedaling, with a raggedy cadence, or when traveling really slowly.
Old 05-01-12, 11:10 PM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the fit fine?
looks good to me. looks like you might be able to fit a larger bike but it's fine IMO.
Old 05-01-12, 11:11 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is the fit fine?
I don't think you'll get much help from DDF here.
Old 05-01-12, 11:12 PM
Rx Rider
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
your first problem is you wear flip flops...second, your face is hideous. Third, I don't see any reason why you can't lift a hand...pedal faster, worry less about falling.
duh he's riding in his house, that's hazardous. but who would you need to signal to?
Old 05-01-12, 11:13 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rx Rider
duh he's riding in his house, that's hazardous. but who would you need to signal to?
apparently his butler
Old 05-01-12, 11:14 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beaker
I don't think you'll get much help from DDF here.
very true...im no fitnician
Old 05-01-12, 11:17 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
I can't ride my road bike with no hands when my torso is in normal position (hoods or drops). I have to sit up very straight, just like a kid on a bmx bike.

Not sure what that has to do with this thread, no offense to Lester.

I am guessing it is the bend in your back. Arch your back the other way when you need to signal.
This is my exact problem. It's one of the reasons I haven't purchased a bike with DT shifters.

This sounds a lot more to do with balance and coordination than core strength. OP, do you have trouble switching hand positions (tops to hoods to drops) or taking a drink from a bottle while riding? I can't imagine that you'd be comfortable with those things either if you have a tough time signaling.

One tip to try is to leave your remaining hand closer to the stem - that way if you have a tendency to pull on the bars with your non-signalling hand it won't exaggerate the movement as much as if you're holding onto one of the hoods.
Hard for me to get a bottle out of the cages but fine for switching to drops. I switch to the drops quickly though...

Originally Posted by Six jours
Are you using your hands/arms to keep from sliding forward on the seat? IOW, if you just sit on the bike while leaning against a wall, can you (from a normal riding position) remove your hands from the bars without sliding forward (or even feeling like you might slide forward) on the seat?
No. I was able to take my hands off the bar just fine but I really had to use my legs to maintain balance.
Old 05-01-12, 11:20 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my exact problem. It's one of the reasons I haven't purchased a bike with DT shifters.

Hard for me to get a bottle out of the cages but fine for switching to drops. I switch to the drops quickly though...

No. I was able to take my hands off the bar just fine but I really had to use my legs to maintain balance.

not to get too personal but have you had any history of stroke or anything of the sort that may have your balance and orientation off? I ask because my friends dad who rides has an issue with balance and I would think riding prolonged with two or even one hand off the bar is challenging after a severe stroke he had over a year ago.
Old 05-01-12, 11:28 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe there's something to this saddle position thing. To be able to calmly switch hand positions, grab a bottle and drink, or signal, you need to be able to ride with only light pressure on the bars, and to be able to take one hand off without veering to one side because you have too much weight/pressure on one side of the bars. I'd argue that you don't really have good control of the bike until you have those skills mastered. Do you have access to an indoor trainer? That could help you experiment with putting less and less pressure on the bars, or riding one handed without the consequences of being out on the road.

Old 05-01-12, 11:31 PM
Rx Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
equal and opposite reaction, when you take your hand off one side of the bars, the other hand needs to firm up and accept the torque of steering and or pedaling. depending how new you are to cycling it just maybe a skill time will help the most.
one more stupid question, can you stand on the pedals and take one hand off?
Old 05-01-12, 11:31 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HokuLoa
Are you actively pedaling when you take your hand off the bars? If you are keeping a steady cadence you should have enough force to lift your hands comfortably and steadily off the bars. It is harder when not pedaling, with a raggedy cadence, or when traveling really slowly.
Yeah, my pedaling exacerbates the problem.

not to get too personal but have you had any history of stroke or anything of the sort that may have your balance and orientation off? I ask because my friends dad who rides has an issue with balance and I would think riding prolonged with two or even one hand off the bar is challenging after a severe stroke he had over a year ago.
No and no risk factors. Only a slight imbalance due to a bicep tear in my left arm years ago.
Old 05-01-12, 11:36 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe there's something to this saddle position thing. To be able to calmly switch hand positions, grab a bottle and drink, or signal, you need to be able to ride with only light pressure on the bars, and to be able to take one hand off without veering to one side because you have too much weight/pressure on one side of the bars. I'd argue that you don't really have good control of the bike until you have those skills mastered. Do you have access to an indoor trainer? That could help you experiment with putting less and less pressure on the bars, or riding one handed without the consequences of being out on the road.

Sold the trainer a while ago. I don't think it would help since it was never similar when I was working on my form out of the saddle. On the trainer I could get my water bottle and be one handed just fine. Hell I could take both hands off hunched over... out on the road is a different story.

Originally Posted by Rx Rider
equal and opposite reaction, when you take your hand off one side of the bars, the other hand needs to firm up and accept the torque of steering and or pedaling. depending how new you are to cycling it just maybe a skill time will help the most.
one more stupid question, can you stand on the pedals and take one hand off?
Yeah.
Old 05-01-12, 11:44 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if your saddle position could be affecting this.
Old 05-01-12, 11:46 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Tip: if you're signalling while coasting, you can brace your opposite knee against the top tube.
Old 05-01-12, 11:50 PM
Rx Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe electronic LED turn signals are the way to go.
Old 05-02-12, 12:24 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
"I really had to use my legs to maintain balance"

I'm confused, OP, 'cause you also say:

"my pedaling exacerbates the problem"
Old 05-02-12, 02:26 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts

Don't try to signal with your hands on the hoods. Put one hand on the handlebar near the stem, and signal with the other hand.

And if it were me, I'd raise the handlebars significantly.

Actually, upon second glance ... is your bicycle too small for you? Is that your bicycle or one you've borrowed from a smaller person? Who set up your saddle height?

Last edited by Machka; 05-02-12 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-02-12, 05:11 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Racer's fit with probably less fitness than a racer for one. Common.
OP...short of raising the handlebar to take more weight off of it...you can try pushing your saddle back and level the portion where your sit bones rest.
To me your fit looks good 'for a racer'. Not all guys can ride in that position comfortably. As mentioned, pedal force takes weight off the hands.
Technique comes in. I don't profess to being a great cyclist but I have never had your issue OP and would say most don't...one hand on the handlebar and the other hand off the handlebar and signaling...seems elementary to me.
Old 05-02-12, 05:20 AM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like all you need to do is practise. Do you have to stop to drink water too?
Old 05-02-12, 05:30 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sliding your seat back some will move your center of gravity back some, but don't do that and screw up your reach. Saddle stll doesn't look level to me. Without cycling shoes on I can't tell if you are too far forward or not. Need to see your knee placement and foot positon on the pedals.

**oh, and do many crunches for core strength
Old 05-02-12, 07:04 AM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fit looks ok to me, well maybe longer stem and add a seatpost with seatback to stretch you tiny bit more but in general terms is not bad...

Never used a zero seatback seatpost so can't tell if its that or not what is causing the problem, maybe somebody had this expenrience? .

Just an idiotic question, is the headset too tight???
Old 05-02-12, 07:07 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
your saddle does look a bit nose down, even after accounting for its shape (kicked-up tail). I would put a level on it and move it very slightly up. (the sighting bubble is very helpful for minute changes.) it also looks pretty far forward. I'm not an adherant to KOPS, in fact I ride behind KOPS on my road and MTB, but from the one pic I wonder if you could move the saddle back a little bit. I wouldn't do more than 3mm.

you'll probably dislike it after 20-30 miles, but after 2 rides you should be acclimated and more importantly I wonder if that will take some weight off your hands.

nothing big is wrong with your fit that I can see from these 2 pics. the tarmac has a sloping TT so a lot of seatpost does show, but looking at the saddle-to-bar drop and your position with *plenty* of elbow bend, I think you're ok.
Old 05-02-12, 07:24 AM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Temporarily riding with one hand is such an elementary and basic skill that, unless there is an underlying medical problem, I suspect that there are significant fit issues. Maybe the saddle is too high, bike too small, etc.

Get a professional fitting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.