Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Devil Mountain Double 2012 : Here I go again, who else?

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Devil Mountain Double 2012 : Here I go again, who else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 10:10 AM
balsingh
Student

Bikes: Trek 2300, Trek 6500, Old Puegot Course, Specialized Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
What!??!?? How did that happen? And how are you?
Yeah I have no idea how really! Bummed to hear others went down too. Man that sucks...Just on one of the sweeping turns down the hill towards the mini rest stop at the base of backside Hamilton (I'm guessing 2 miles from there based on bike computer miles and DMD road markings). I was alone, so one moment I'm riding, the next moment I'm sliding. I think there may have been something on the road (oil or tar) that caused my front wheel to slip out as I don't believe I wasn't taking risks.

Healthy dose of road rash and knock on the head, but thanks to all the (wonderful) volunteers, that was cleaned out and dressed with that second skin stuff. Sorry for cursing at you guys helping me

I wanted to quit after the fall, especially as my rear derailleur hanger was bent, but Subaru George fixed it and sent me on my way. If it wasn't for you guys and gals who provide amazing support along the route and spend many many hours out there, I'm sure I wouldn't have finished. So yeah I crashed and really messed myself up, but I still had a nice ride on a great course and was able to meet and talk to awesome people. That's why DMD is among my favorite rides to do.
Old 05-03-12, 08:43 PM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I have not ridden at all since the DMD. This year the week after my 2nd DMD is exactly like last year. The DMD just does something to me and my psyche that takes time to repair. It is more than just the event itself, it is also all the grueling training rides. The whole run up to the DMD and the event itself just pour me out on to the ground leaving an empty vessel behind.

It takes time for me to want to get on a bike again after that. Last year it was Friday the week after before I rode. This year it looks like Saturday is the day. (Family commitments on Friday). At least I have been here before. After last year's post DMD plateau I went on to have a real strong season. I rode 2 more Doubles and some real tough Centuries too. (noteworthy among the bunch The Hideous Hundred in early October with 10,000 feet of climbing.)

So here I am with 3 Doubles in already for the year, one the DMD, 2 Centuries and 2300 miles.
Here I am, feeling like a slug. This too shall pass. Heck I have the Davis Double in 15 days. That'll get me going again.
Old 05-03-12, 09:52 PM
taxi777
Wheres my snuggie?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lanceoldstrong
I have not ridden at all since the DMD.

So here I am with 3 Doubles in already for the year, one the DMD, 2 Centuries and 2300 miles.
Here I am, feeling like a slug. This too shall pass. Heck I have the Davis Double in 15 days. That'll get me going again.
I hope you're doing the Cinco De slug ride with us Saturday!? You would be a perfect slug in a pack-o-slugs!
Old 05-04-12, 09:34 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bostic
... I'm ready to test ride a Volagi.
If you do test ride a Volagi and depending on your weight, you might consider 28mm tires. I just did my first short ride after switching from 25 to 28mm and I definitely noticed a difference up front. The bike has a great ride, but even with CF fork and bars certain situations can produce some road buzz. The 28mm tires and slightly lower pressure did seem to help. I've seen where some have managed to get fenders on with the larger tires. I don't do crazy things like 200 mile rides and don't generally ride in bad weather so no fender experience. BTW, biggest improvement is an increase in confidence descending; the disc brakes make a big difference certainly for larger riders (I'm 200 lbs).