Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hot r Not

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hot r Not

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 02:54 PM
kingfishr

Bikes: Ridley Noah, Trek Emonda, Colnago C59, Colnago Master, 1980 Colnago Super, Wilier Blade

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Specialized Allez Epic Carbon-14

Radiocarbon dating and credit card receipts put it at 1990. This is the dinosaur that started it all for Specialized :-) (non-original brifters, seatpost and saddle)

Last edited by kingfishr; 05-08-12 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-07-12, 02:56 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Awesome bike, i like the carbon with red lettering.
Old 05-07-12, 03:49 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,462 Times in 4,673 Posts
Someone a block over used to have one of those - kept it outside, chained to a tree, which I never thought was right...
Old 05-07-12, 05:19 PM
Rob13

Bikes: 2013 Specialized S Works SL4 Keyline Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kahoon
what an incredible bike, absolutely love it!! (save it SA, i know you don't like DA cranks )

Just my opinion, there is something about the Cervelo, that does not look aesthetically pleasing to me.
Old 05-07-12, 05:28 PM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kingfishr
Radiocarbon dating and credit card receipts put it at 1990. This is the dinosaur that started it all for Specialized :-) (non-original brifters, seatpost and seat)

would like to see the stem slammed more but hot.
Old 05-07-12, 05:38 PM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
totally seat-of-pants, it feels much faster when riding into the wind. its also a MUCH harsher ride, definitely stiffer.

i think the VWD is a waste of money. you could make the argument when comparing the S2 & S3 as they are different frames, but the S5 Team and VWD are identical frames (other than the carbon layup), they also have identical forks. $2,100 for a 200g saving doesn't make sense! that's why i chose to get a set of 404 firecrests instead, and get the Team frame.
Gotcha. I am in complete agreement with your thoughts on the VWD being a waste of money. However, for me going to the S5 Team, would add a good bit of mass. The seatpost on an S5 is 220g, my saddle/post is 40g less than that. The frames are about the same, and the fork is 20g grams lighter, but you have to have 20mm more steerer so that's about 10g more right there. I've also thought about going with a Scapula F fork, but I'm going to have to start doing better at races before I can justify rewarding myself with new bike crap. It's just hard for someone like me to justify buying a $3,800 frameset, that inevitably would make my bike heavier. That is the reason I decided to put more aero bars on my S2, and possibly will be doing the Tri-Rig brake on the front in the near future. I want to try and make it as aero as possible, but still light, and not blow a ton of money.

Never the less. Great job on the S5. It looks brilliant. Even with the squid crank.
Old 05-07-12, 05:51 PM
MajorMantra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob13
Just my opinion, there is something about the Cervelo, that does not look aesthetically pleasing to me.
That would be the ugly assed S5 frame.
Old 05-07-12, 06:05 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 05-07-12, 06:21 PM
craigcraigcraig
Don't really have a bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whoa, not
Old 05-07-12, 07:01 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twodownzero
You gotta fix that saddle, like NOW. Cut that steering tube and why in Gods name did you mount your hood so high on the bars? Personal opinion here, I would take off the blue bar tape and throw on black or Charcoal.

This bike has potential, but not the way it is currently set up.

I feel a Photoshop coming up for me to show you the potential this bike has.
Old 05-07-12, 07:06 PM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Think of the energy savings in the summertime keeping that thing around.
Old 05-07-12, 07:11 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
You gotta fix that saddle, like NOW. Cut that steering tube and why in Gods name did you mount your hood so high on the bars? Personal opinion here, I would take off the blue bar tape and throw on black or Charcoal.

This bike has potential, but not the way it is currently set up.

I feel a Photoshop coming up for me to show you the potential this bike has.
I just changed my saddle (which previously matched the bar tape) Probably switching to red bar tape to match the stitching on the saddle and the spoke nipples. Otherwise, black.

Steerer tube is definitely getting chopped as soon as I can take it back apart, just haven't had time lately.

Would really like to switch to a compact drop bar . I got that bar for free from a friend and I like where the hoods are, but the drops are a bit deep. Still trying to decide on that so I can take it apart, chop the steerer tube and perhaps replace the bars at the same time.

The saddle is actually level, just the design is high in the back because that's how it's made. the middle "pocket" where I actually sit is actually level, the nose has a bit of drop and the rear is flared up to push against when climbing.
Old 05-07-12, 07:23 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you say so. The rails on the saddle looks level but the top of the saddle still looks tiled down.

Just for fun....
(obviously, the seat post is not the same angle as SA's)

Old 05-07-12, 07:26 PM
incredibleting

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The saddle is actually level, just the design is high in the back because that's how it's made. the middle "pocket" where I actually sit is actually level, the nose has a bit of drop and the rear is flared up to push against when climbing.
That saddle looks like the Specialized Romin, and that'd definitely not how it's designed to be ridden. It should be more like this:

If you have to ride your saddle tilted down that much, then you should consider lowering the seatpost.
Old 05-07-12, 07:27 PM
echotraveler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
two down zero

PLZ just put black bar tape.
Correct the saddle,its not level, the rails may be level, not the saddle.
those shifters need to go down...
CHANGE THAT CRANK! TRIPLE IS NEVER HOT!
Old 05-07-12, 08:32 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Liked 4,938 Times in 2,648 Posts
Hot.

Originally Posted by kingfishr
Radiocarbon dating and credit card receipts put it at 1990. This is the dinosaur that started it all for Specialized :-) (non-original brifters, seatpost and seat)

Old 05-07-12, 09:32 PM
I <3 Robots

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The rails are level...not the seat itself. I bet if you were to take your hands off the bars while riding...you'll fall forward.

I have a Romin also. Here is how my saddle is set up.

Last edited by I <3 Robots; 05-07-12 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-07-12, 09:48 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Liked 206 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by I <3 Robots
HOT. The white stem is the perfect contrast piece.
Old 05-07-12, 10:56 PM
twodownzero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate all the constructive advice. I tilted my saddle down and used a level to check my work. I also rotated my handlebar down a bit. I am probably going to move the shifters down a hair when I replace the bar tape. I am going to chop the steer tube down as well; I'm sick of looking at it!

(edit, chopped the steerer! No going back now)

Hopefully this is an improvement until I can change the bars and install new bar tape.

Last edited by twodownzero; 05-08-12 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-08-12, 07:29 AM
kahoon
who's yer daddy?

Bikes: '13 Parlee Z5 SLi, '12 Cervelo S5, '11 Cervelo Norwegian S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Soloist Assassin
Gotcha. I am in complete agreement with your thoughts on the VWD being a waste of money. However, for me going to the S5 Team, would add a good bit of mass. The seatpost on an S5 is 220g, my saddle/post is 40g less than that. The frames are about the same, and the fork is 20g grams lighter, but you have to have 20mm more steerer so that's about 10g more right there. I've also thought about going with a Scapula F fork, but I'm going to have to start doing better at races before I can justify rewarding myself with new bike crap. It's just hard for someone like me to justify buying a $3,800 frameset, that inevitably would make my bike heavier. That is the reason I decided to put more aero bars on my S2, and possibly will be doing the Tri-Rig brake on the front in the near future. I want to try and make it as aero as possible, but still light, and not blow a ton of money.

Never the less. Great job on the S5. It looks brilliant. Even with the squid crank.
i'm pretty sure that the slight weight gain will be more than offset by the aero advantage the bike has. especially riding into wind. but i agree with you completely on the justification part. you already have a fantastic bike (sub 14lb ), if you don't have cash burning a hole in your pocket, it makes no sense

cheers
Old 05-08-12, 07:32 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i'm pretty sure that the slight weight gain will be more than offset by the aero advantage the bike has. especially riding into wind. but i agree with you completely on the justification part. you already have a fantastic bike (sub 14lb ), if you don't have cash burning a hole in your pocket, it makes no sense

cheers
sub13
Old 05-08-12, 09:35 AM
LucasET

Bikes: '17 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, '14 Diamondback/Lapierre Aerostorm, '08 Trek Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have 53/39 with a 12-25 cassette, and i find myself looking for the 11 cog on some of the fast group rides. so a compact setup would definitely not work for me. don't forget, i live in FLAT toronto!
Thanks! Yeah, right after my post, I realized you probably just bought the frame.
A 53/39 crankset with an 11-25 cassette is what I'd like (which would encourage me to 'man up' on hills), but with the BBright, I'm looking at some serious $$$. I have 50/34 11-25 on my Madone, and top out at about 42-43mph (unless I'm heading down a steep hill).... not that I 'need' to go faster than that, but it'd be nice to know I could. We can never go too fast, right?
Old 05-08-12, 11:31 AM
kahoon
who's yer daddy?

Bikes: '13 Parlee Z5 SLi, '12 Cervelo S5, '11 Cervelo Norwegian S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LucasET
Thanks! Yeah, right after my post, I realized you probably just bought the frame.
A 53/39 crankset with an 11-25 cassette is what I'd like (which would encourage me to 'man up' on hills), but with the BBright, I'm looking at some serious $$$. I have 50/34 11-25 on my Madone, and top out at about 42-43mph (unless I'm heading down a steep hill).... not that I 'need' to go faster than that, but it'd be nice to know I could. We can never go too fast, right?
yawza... those speeds with that combo means you're spinning 120+rpm

i like to stay in the 90rpm +/-
Old 05-08-12, 11:48 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I appreciate all the constructive advice. I tilted my saddle down and used a level to check my work. I also rotated my handlebar down a bit. I am probably going to move the shifters down a hair when I replace the bar tape. I am going to chop the steer tube down as well; I'm sick of looking at it!

(edit, chopped the steerer! No going back now)

Hopefully this is an improvement until I can change the bars and install new bar tape.
much better.
Old 05-08-12, 12:38 PM
VeeDubOne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I <3 Robots
.... Here is how my saddle is set up.

Wow thats Red (and black) hot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.