Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

How do I remove cable stops and kickstand?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 03:57 PM
Sprayman

Bikes: Trek tandem, Specialized road bike, Specialized cyclocross, Schwinn Varsity, Schwinn Jaguar, Schwinn Frankenbike Commuter,Fixie of unknown origin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greetings, Comrades!

I am converting an old Schwinn Varsity (yes, it doubles as an anchor) to a single speed with a coaster brake. I'd like to remove the cable stops and kickstand. Anybody have experience with this? How did you do it?

Thanks,

Sprayman
Old 05-05-12, 04:00 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Pliers and/or a Dremel.
Old 05-05-12, 04:06 PM
Nagrom_ 
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
Hack saw, you have the cut the tubing in half, and remove them from the inside.

It sounds weird, but you'll see what i mean when you get the frame split.
Old 05-05-12, 07:05 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cut and file.
Old 05-05-12, 07:51 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
https://www.ehow.com/how_10038984_kic...n-varsity.html

Park actually makes a specific tool for this style of kickstand. As far as the cable stops go, file/cut them off, or just leave them and ride the bastard.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 05-05-12, 08:49 PM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd leave the Schwinn frame in tact. The bike as you already call it, doubles as an anchor, so the frame being left in tact for the next build/owner seems like a decent thing to do and give that the option of a restoration to a geared bike ? It's being converted to a single speed with a coaster brake, not like it's going to be a FG conversion, which that becomes an option if you keep the cable guides attached.
Old 05-05-12, 10:25 PM
ianjk

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Pliers and/or a Dremel.
Whatever you do, don't try levering/twisting off the kickstand mount, it will take the underlying tube off with it, the electroforged Schwinn kickstand mount is attached very, very, very well.
Old 05-06-12, 12:09 AM
guitarmankyle
かわいいサイクリスト

Bikes: Eighth Inch Scrambler v3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
blowtorch.
Old 05-06-12, 12:18 AM
Doomride
Live long and prosper.

Bikes: '06 SE Draft

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sigh.
Old 05-06-12, 02:09 AM
ianjk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by guitarmankyle
blowtorch.
Projection welded parts can't be de-brazed like a "normal" frame (although I think you are kidding)
Old 05-06-12, 10:47 AM
Sprayman

Bikes: Trek tandem, Specialized road bike, Specialized cyclocross, Schwinn Varsity, Schwinn Jaguar, Schwinn Frankenbike Commuter,Fixie of unknown origin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doomride
sigh.
Gee, Doomride, so sorry to bug. Next time I'll make sure to first check the list titled, "Don't start a thread on this topic because it bugs people who have their noses in the air." How's that?
Old 05-06-12, 10:48 AM
Sprayman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_
Hack saw, you have the cut the tubing in half, and remove them from the inside.

It sounds weird, but you'll see what i mean when you get the frame split.
Hmmm....will a Sawzall and sledgehammer work?
Old 05-06-12, 10:50 AM
Sprayman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ianjk
Whatever you do, don't try levering/twisting off the kickstand mount, it will take the underlying tube off with it, the electroforged Schwinn kickstand mount is attached very, very, very well.
Yeah, I wasn't going to try to muscle that thing off. It's just that it weighs a ton. Maybe I'll just live with it. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-06-12, 10:55 AM
Sprayman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fuji86
I'd leave the Schwinn frame in tact. The bike as you already call it, doubles as an anchor, so the frame being left in tact for the next build/owner seems like a decent thing to do and give that the option of a restoration to a geared bike ? It's being converted to a single speed with a coaster brake, not like it's going to be a FG conversion, which that becomes an option if you keep the cable guides attached.
Good point, and normally I would agree with you since I have an unhealthy enthusiasm for vintage Schwinns, especially the Varsity. This frame is already a few steps away from the dumpster, though, so I thought I'd just have fun with it and see if I can make it a viable SS (a previous owner took a hacksaw to the seat stay--ugh).
Old 05-06-12, 10:58 AM
Sprayman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Pliers and/or a Dremel.
I think the metal is too tough to just pry off the stops with pliers, so I'll try the Dremel. Thanks.
Old 05-06-12, 11:48 AM
FixieNewbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have access to a porta bandsaw it would make quick work of cutting things off. Fortunately I have access to one daily for work. A sawzall isn't bad but the blades being long can be a pain. Grinders work but can be a pain as well. I didn't use a dremel on my bike but having used it for work it seems slow and you use up blades pretty quick cutting metal but it could just be me and my dislike for dremels since I haven't had luck with them in the past lol.
Old 05-06-12, 09:03 PM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leave the cable guides alone and just buy a top tube pad ?
Old 05-06-12, 09:16 PM
striknein
Goes to 11.

Bikes: 2015 Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're gonna go far, kid.

Relevant: That kickstand plate is _very_ securely attached to the chainstays/bottom bracket shell. You'll need a die grinder and a rotary cutting cool. Pneumatic is best. Or, you know, get a better frame.
Old 05-06-12, 09:42 PM
Sprayman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by striknein
You're gonna go far, kid.

Relevant: That kickstand plate is _very_ securely attached to the chainstays/bottom bracket shell. You'll need a die grinder and a rotary cutting cool. Pneumatic is best. Or, you know, get a better frame.
Yeah, I think I'll just leave it on. I'm neither equipped nor qualified to take it off myself and it's not that big of a problem, anyway.

Now, as to your suggestion that I just get a better frame.......aw, hell, I can't explain why I want to fix up this one, probably because I'm not so sure myself. It followed me home one day and I want to see if I can do a "trash to treasures" number on it before it ends up in the dump. I'm going to dig through my old parts box and scour through the local bike co-op to build it up, and then give it a rattle-can paint job. Why not?
Old 05-07-12, 12:04 AM
striknein
Goes to 11.

Bikes: 2015 Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprayman
Yeah, I think I'll just leave it on. I'm neither equipped nor qualified to take it off myself and it's not that big of a problem, anyway.

Now, as to your suggestion that I just get a better frame.......aw, hell, I can't explain why I want to fix up this one, probably because I'm not so sure myself. It followed me home one day and I want to see if I can do a "trash to treasures" number on it before it ends up in the dump. I'm going to dig through my old parts box and scour through the local bike co-op to build it up, and then give it a rattle-can paint job. Why not?
Because you'll still end up with a crappy bike. You want a labor of love, fine, embrace it. You'll be better served by starting with a higher quality, lighter frame that's better suited to being ridden on the road. The Schwinn Varsity was one of many bikes produced in the era which was meant to be purchased, not ridden. You can do a hell of a lot better by watching craigslist for a week.
Old 05-07-12, 06:37 PM
Sprayman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by striknein
Because you'll still end up with a crappy bike. You want a labor of love, fine, embrace it. You'll be better served by starting with a higher quality, lighter frame that's better suited to being ridden on the road. The Schwinn Varsity was one of many bikes produced in the era which was meant to be purchased, not ridden. You can do a hell of a lot better by watching craigslist for a week.
Labor of love is exactly what it is, and just plain fun. Thanks.
Old 05-07-12, 07:02 PM
Shaku

Bikes: Custom Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixing up a bike by removing what was intended to be on there? they were there for a reason. And they don't affect performance in anyway on a conversion. Leave them on there in the event you sell the frame to buy a nicer frame, it can still be used for it's intended purpose and therefore increase the amount of people who would want to or can use it (i.e. fixed gear riders, single speed riders, and road road riders)
Old 05-07-12, 07:06 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

I guess he'd better leave all the derailleurs, shifters and whatnot on there too then - just in case.
Old 05-07-12, 07:10 PM
Shaku

Bikes: Custom Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was more referring to the permanent damage he plans to do to the frame. Derailleurs and shifters are actually removable surprisingly.
Old 05-07-12, 07:12 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Dude, it's a Schwinn Varsity, not a Waterford-made Paramount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.