Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Aerospoke/Trispoke. Yay or nay?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 06:12 AM
INOX NYC

Bikes: Custom State Bike, Mercier Kilo TT Stripper, Leader 721

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Opinions?
Old 05-07-12, 06:16 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nay, unless you are actually timetrialling.
Old 05-07-12, 06:17 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
+1

I liked my Aerospoke but the novelty wore off pretty quickly.
Old 05-07-12, 07:22 AM
broakland
Seņor Member

Bikes: Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Naaay - a wheel you can not true: where is the logic in that?

on the other hand... 3Rensho + Aerospoke = Sqrl Supping Machine
Old 05-07-12, 09:39 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I am not cool enough
Old 05-07-12, 09:49 AM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Meh. I just don't like carbon. Never seen a carbon part fail gracefully. I'm a big guy and would hate to have a wheel explode on me.
Old 05-07-12, 10:23 AM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Bikes: Check the sig to find out

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Trispoke - Nay. Too much to worry about and are fragile compared to A0spokes

Aerospoke - yay/nay. I have a set and I'm pretty satisfied with them. Are they light...nay to the 2nd power, but they are a novelty. Strong wheels but are boats (6lbs for the wheelset). I'd say pass if you're looking for something other than weight training and go for something you won't notice every time you climb. If the weigh doesn't bother you go for it since you'll also enjoy how they make you're bike look.
I've done a few "dumb" things to make them even more heavy than necessary like attaching 50mm tires to it, but I don't mind. Currently have 38mm on it cuz I enjoy cushy tiresGoing back to spoked wheels will definitely make you appreciate the weight loss though
Old 05-07-12, 11:16 AM
NateRod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 05-07-12, 11:27 AM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
If you actually race, trispoke.

If not, none.
Old 05-07-12, 03:55 PM
dev0415
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aero spoke nay...tri spoke yay...depends on your preference and usage...i love the trispoke...spins for days and looks great.
Old 05-07-12, 05:20 PM
illdthedj

Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
lol well...
after getting into fixed gear bikes 6 years ago, and disliking the whole tarck fashion scene for so long, then getting into road bikes, building both newer and vintage geared bikes, then building a legit track bike, long after of the fixie cliche of aerospokes being awesome becoming passe...

i got an aerospoke lol

is it a novelty? totally. is it heavy? definitely. do i like my front white aerospoke? HELL YAH!!

its like, after hating on aerospokes for the longest time, and after they've finally started losing their street cred plus points, ive finally gotten an aerospoke and totally dig it.
i will say its on my "sweet fixay" bike, and i have a number of other more serious bike builds that are for more serious riding, so the negatives of it being heavy dont phase me too much, since im not super worried about having the lightest bike with this build.

obviously it cant be trued, but i really dont see it ever getting out of true unless i was say, trick riding and hoping stairs or something, which im not really into. it does seem like a "bomb proof" wheel in terms of general street riding.
while it seems a little harder getting the bike up to speed with the 'spoke', it also seems to keep speed a bit easier.

anywho thats my 2cents.
dont buy an aerospoke if you are looking to have a hi-performance wheel. if you are going for "the look" of a "sweet fixay" then by all means go for it, which is what i did haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (98.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 05-07-12, 06:19 PM
JuiceWillis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an aerospoke and I like it, but I wouldn't pay full retail for it.
Old 05-07-12, 06:31 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JuiceWillis
I have an aerospoke and I like it, but I wouldn't pay full retail for it.
I feel like, as a fellow forum member, I speak for a majority when I say your avatar should be:

Old 05-07-12, 07:06 PM
Shaku

Bikes: Custom Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nay to the Aerospoke, for their overinflated cost, you can easily build up a nice spoked wheelset that will not only be lighter, but stronger and more durable.
Old 05-09-12, 11:05 AM
dev0415
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by illdthedj
lol well...
after getting into fixed gear bikes 6 years ago, and disliking the whole tarck fashion scene for so long, then getting into road bikes, building both newer and vintage geared bikes, then building a legit track bike, long after of the fixie cliche of aerospokes being awesome becoming passe...

i got an aerospoke lol

is it a novelty? totally. is it heavy? definitely. do i like my front white aerospoke? HELL YAH!!

its like, after hating on aerospokes for the longest time, and after they've finally started losing their street cred plus points, ive finally gotten an aerospoke and totally dig it.
i will say its on my "sweet fixay" bike, and i have a number of other more serious bike builds that are for more serious riding, so the negatives of it being heavy dont phase me too much, since im not super worried about having the lightest bike with this build.

obviously it cant be trued, but i really dont see it ever getting out of true unless i was say, trick riding and hoping stairs or something, which im not really into. it does seem like a "bomb proof" wheel in terms of general street riding.
while it seems a little harder getting the bike up to speed with the 'spoke', it also seems to keep speed a bit easier.

anywho thats my 2cents.
dont buy an aerospoke if you are looking to have a hi-performance wheel. if you are going for "the look" of a "sweet fixay" then by all means go for it, which is what i did haha
I dont like aerospokes in particular...but i like your build aerospoke included...nice...very nice...
Old 05-09-12, 11:39 AM
illdthedj

Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dev0415
I dont like aerospokes in particular...but i like your build aerospoke included...nice...very nice...
thanks man!
Old 05-09-12, 12:12 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
A trispoke will give you a psychosomatic edge on your commute. Like, "Damn, this headwind really sucks. But it would suck even more if I didn't have this sweet aero trispoke. I must be going pretty fast."
Old 05-09-12, 12:33 PM
dev0415
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
A trispoke will give you a psychosomatic edge on your commute. Like, "Damn, this headwind really sucks. But it would suck even more if I didn't have this sweet aero trispoke. I must be going pretty fast."
you mean crosswind?
Old 05-09-12, 12:49 PM
Nagrom_ 
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dev0415
you mean crosswind?
he means headwind.
Old 05-16-12, 06:04 PM
muckymucky
on Baby Charlie Concept~

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you dont race, trispoke.
If you actually do, none.

for proper street cred.
Old 05-16-12, 06:09 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Neither of those wheels are beneficial and rather in fact, detrimental aside from cosmetics in the eye of the beholder... I was forced to commute on a trispoke and it sucked hard, the crosswinds and the paranoia from road conditions. In all honesty I can do without them all together.
Old 05-16-12, 06:15 PM
xavier853

Bikes: Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can get either for a good deal, then why not? They have a high resale value.
Old 05-16-12, 06:18 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by xavier853
If you can get either for a good deal, then why not? They have a high resale value.
But of course! But I was saying that in a functional sense.
Old 05-16-12, 08:20 PM
TitoJones

Bikes: Cinelli Vigorelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally have not ridden a bike that has either, but from an aesthetic standpoint I hate them both equally. But people hate my wheels too, so it's all a matter of what YOU want.

Tyler
Old 05-16-12, 09:24 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by xavier853
Seriously. As some of you remember I picked one up for 75 bucks and a tune up, rode with it/liked it for a while and then sold it on eBay for 300 bucks. Boom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.