Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why the rear brake?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why the rear brake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 09:55 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
You need a rear brake so you can lay down some "awesome patches".

Attached Images
Old 05-16-12, 09:57 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
If one uses their arms and skeletal system, there is very little chance of doing an "endo" when using your front brake.
watch any pro race and when there's a pile up, there are a few dudes braking so hard the rear wheel is off the ground. that is max effort braking by definition.

you would then need to screw up to actually endo, but it's possible.
Old 05-16-12, 09:59 AM
FPSDavid

Bikes: CAAD10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread (and Sheldon's page) has made me feel weird...I use my rear brake only 99% of the time...while Sheldon says "Skilled cyclists use the front brake alone probably 95% of the time,"
Old 05-16-12, 09:59 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
And of course with a fixed gear you can stop the bike by stopping the pedals from turning.
Until you snap the (spray-painted) chain.

Originally Posted by Altbark
There is absolutely nothing correct in this reply. Nothing!!!
Well, he got the part about the front wheel not weight as much as the rear one right ... but it's a completely irrelevant factoid when we're talking about stopping.
Old 05-16-12, 10:23 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FPSDavid
This thread (and Sheldon's page) has made me feel weird...I use my rear brake only 99% of the time...while Sheldon says "Skilled cyclists use the front brake alone probably 95% of the time,"
you are stopping very slowly and I would bet you've skidded the rear tire a number of times.

I don't touch my rear brake on dry, level pavement. there's been a zillion threads about this. people always argue with me, and frequently cite motorcycle experience. they're wrong.
Old 05-16-12, 10:50 AM
WC89

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me. Bicycle: 2 brakes. Always. Nuff said.
Old 05-16-12, 01:25 PM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Does somone have the link to that video where the cyclist narrowly avoids the collision with the car, I believe on a descent. I think the shot is from the car's POV with the cyclist coming at him?

If I remember correctly, he grabs both brakes and slides the back wheel out sideways. The back wheel (sideways) slows him down instantly. He maintains control and avoids the accident. If he had just grabbed all front brake, I don't believe he would have avoided the collision.
Old 05-16-12, 02:03 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
sounds like a powerslide. I did those on my bmx bike as a kid. I'd have to be pretty damn desperate to think of that on my road bike. it would ruin a tire for sure, but that's better than ruined bike and/or ruined face.
Old 05-16-12, 02:57 PM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
https://i.imgur.com/X0DKn.gif

Slides to avoid motorcycle. With front brake only, he's into him no doubt.
Old 05-16-12, 04:21 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't used my rear brake more than twice with my new bike. That's 450 miles of front-only braking. My rear rim is still shiny, while my front has a black rubber by-product on it.
Old 05-16-12, 04:28 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by thump55
https://i.imgur.com/X0DKn.gif

Slides to avoid motorcycle. With front brake only, he's into him no doubt.
impossible to say. Maybe with more front brake he could have stayed in his lane - not enough info here. The only reason he didn't hit the motorcycle is the fact that the motorcycle swerved out of the way and avoided the cyclist. The cyclist did nothing to avoid the collision, he was hanging on for dear life.
Old 05-16-12, 04:29 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
with fifteen years of single front brake behind me , i can say that i have never had occasion to go over, or nearly go over, the front handlebars, even when emergency braking. nor have i had any accident at greater than two MPH. i have found that i have modified my braking techniques and safety levels to match those of the bikes i ride, like the teamster that drives a VW bug to work and then safely drives an 18 wheeler all day. one learns what's doable and what's not and rides/drives accordingly.
Old 05-16-12, 04:43 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 99 Posts
On a fixed gear you can modulate the speed of the rear wheel and even lock it up without a rear brake and by adding a front brake you will maximize your ability to stop and if you have good riding skills you will be able to stop as fast as anyone using two brakes.

On a bike that coasts you have no means to modulate the speed of the rear wheel unless you count a Ted shred as a means of doing this so a brake is needed... all you need is one twisty descent in the rain or corners strewn with fine gravel and you will find how dangerous it is to only have a front brake.

On dry pavement your front brake will do most of the stopping and experienced riders do use the front brake as their primary and the rear as a secondary for modulation. In nice weather I rarely touch my rear brakes and in a panic situation can apply that front brake extremely hard and not go OTB.

One needs to practice stopping in this fashion as you want to shift your weigh back and lock your arms as you can generate almost 1G if you are running good brakes and have good riding skills.
Old 05-16-12, 05:31 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6857 Post(s)
Liked 5,555 Times in 3,274 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg
I haven't used my rear brake more than twice with my new bike. That's 450 miles of front-only braking. My rear rim is still shiny, while my front has a black rubber by-product on it.
Isn't that special.
Old 05-16-12, 06:14 PM
dissident

Bikes: Felt Z85

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
never gave it much thought. Use them both, but I'm not going into the 40's mph yet so meh. I know on motorcycles the front brake is your most used brake, the rear brake more likely to cause high/lowsides especially when braking while cornering.

Want to take this road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16Yn...ayer_embedded#
Old 05-16-12, 06:30 PM
Altbark

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale T1, 1998 Specialized FSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricanfred
Back brakes only in slippery conditions and both brakes with a lot more lever pressure on the front brake for me works the best.
Sounds good in theory but doesn't work in practice. People have to learn how to co-ordinate and use both brakes all of the time for maximum effectiveness. That doesn't mean that you grab a handful of front brake willy-nilly all the time. You have to develop a feel for what the bike is doing. You should use both brakes fully if you are braking on a paved road wet or dry. Technique has to change depending upon whether you are in a turn, going up or down hills and whether you are going to shift your weight. Honda has been using linked braking systems on some of their bikes for years because people were over relying on the rear brake to get their bikes stopped particularly in wet conditions.
Old 05-16-12, 06:36 PM
Altbark

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale T1, 1998 Specialized FSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
like a motorcycle, if you're in dirt or gravel (which I cross on certain rides) you don't want to use your front brake, you want to use your rear, if you don't chances are you're going down.
Hey I'm an old dirt biker from way back in the 70's and I can tell you that knowing how to get a dirt bike stopped quickly requires the use of both brakes. You just need to know how to use them.
Old 05-16-12, 06:41 PM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I use both almost all the time. I find the braking more balanced that way and more effective... I don't do a lot of braking tho'. My bike was made in 84 and the original pads are still on it and in good shape.
Old 05-16-12, 08:30 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I never use my rear brake. I can't squeeze with that hand. At all.

So for more years than most of you have been alive I've been riding front brake only. I've never gone over the bars, though I can see how in a panic stop the weight transfer could make that happen. The bike stops and you keep going. The reason you can't do that with the rear brake is because it doesn't stop you as well. If it could you'd have the same issue.

I now have a cross lever cabled to the rear brake on the same side as my front brake, just in case I'm going 50 and the front brake breaks somehow. I don't expect that to ever happen, but having an "emergency brake" seems like a good idea.

Side note to forum users: See how I used brake and break correctly? Follow my lead.
Old 05-16-12, 08:43 PM
Perp

Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Got a pretty deep cut on my right hand so I can barely apply brake pressure to the rear. I've been exclusively using the front only on my rides the past 3 weeks
Old 05-16-12, 09:07 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by spock
I use both almost all the time. I find the braking more balanced that way and more effective... I don't do a lot of braking tho'. My bike was made in 84 and the original pads are still on it and in good shape.

:wow:

Changing those would make an immense difference.
Old 05-16-12, 09:14 PM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The 41 is strong in this thread, strong indeed....
Old 05-16-12, 11:10 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Your track bike already has a rear brake. Your legs.
Old 05-17-12, 01:26 AM
powbob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
If you are ever going down a steep, winding, wet road ... and you pull your front brake, inevitably falling down and breaking about every bone in and around your neck ... THEN will you know why bikes have rear brakes ... if you're not dead, at least.
I live in Florida. There's no such thing as a steep or winding road. I get your point though.
Old 05-17-12, 09:45 AM
byrnemm
In vitro cyclist

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Allez Comp Double, 2011 Mercier Kilo Stripper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by powbob
I know this is a stupid question, but I currently only have a track bike to which I have added a front brake. This stops me very well from speeds up to about the low 30's MPH. So why do I need a rear brake on the geared bike I'm building? I'm sure there are real world reasons. Just curious.
Track bikes don't have brakes?

Skidz for dayzzzz bro.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.